Jimzk5

50 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

See my benchmark theory posted above yours.

All the clubs around here have had decent teams over the past 20 years (Stoke,Wolves, WBA,Leicester,Coventry...further back though and even Blues for a little bit under Bruce) They all started directing banter at us when it wasn't there previously.

Its simple if a midlands team is good they laugh at Villa

If a midlands team is not performing well they look to their local rivals for the banter and jokes.

You're making it sound like Villa were just sitting there minding their own business.  Until Villa (the club, not the fans) started throwing mud no Wolves fan I knew had anything bad to say.

Plenty of Villa fans on Twitter Tuesday night seemed pretty obsessed with us too.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

You're making it sound like Villa were just sitting there minding their own business.  Until Villa (the club, not the fans) started throwing mud no Wolves fan I knew had anything bad to say.

Plenty of Villa fans on Twitter Tuesday night seemed pretty obsessed with us too.

Baggies were obsessed with Villa a few years ago with all that "we know what what we are stuff" mainly aimed at us (where i live anyway).

Coventry were the same in the 90s as were Stoke when they had some success.

Now Wolves (mostly younger fans admittedly) are very keen to talk about "the gap" 

My experience tells me its not got much to do with Wyness and Xia so I'm just pointing out that this is always what happens when a midlands side has some success.If Wolves keep it up and i suspect they have  a better chance than the others.You may notice the pattern yourselves after 10 or 20 years as the regions top side.

We will just carry on being Villa and hopefully now we are being run in less of a shambolic manner maybe we can make it a two horse race for top dog :)

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 2

On 12/08/2020 at 16:49, Wainy316 said:

Yeah, Twitter is full of morons on both sides but look at the difference with how Villa fans discuss Wolves in this thread and the how Villa are discussed in the various related threads on Molineux Mix.

I haven’t come across a club-centric forum as welcoming to other fans as this one. Always like to hear from the Wolves, Everton, Brentford, Leicester, Hibs, and Werder Bremen fans when they pop in.

I signed up to Wolvesforum, as I thought they had some interesting discussions and really I just wanted to wish them the best of luck in the Europa League and express my hopes that we could replicate their success in the future, but got little more than a “Yeah, whatever, Villa fan”, which was probably fair enough.

Edited by His Name Is Death

2 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Baggies were obsessed with Villa a few years ago with all that "we know what what we are stuff" mainly aimed at us (where i live anyway).

Coventry were the same in the 90s as were Stoke when they had some success.

Now Wolves (mostly younger fans admittedly) are very keen to talk about "the gap" 

My experience tells me its not got much to do with Wyness and Xia so I'm just pointing out that this is always what happens when a midlands side has some success.If Wolves keep it up and i suspect they have  a better chance than the others.You may notice the pattern yourselves after 10 or 20 years as the regions top side.

We will just carry on being Villa and hopefully now we are being run in less of a shambolic manner maybe we can make it a two horse race for top dog :)

Honestly it's perplexing to me, just as I say, it's not one sided and maybe it is a younger generation thing, that does seem to fit to be honest.

I think you're right, and as has been mentioned the two clubs might spur each other on now.  It seems like that's happened at least a little recently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, His Name Is Death said:

I haven’t come across a club-centric forum as welcoming to other fans as this one. Always like to hear from the Wolves, Everton, Brentford, Leicester, Hibs, and Werder Bremen fans when they pop in.

I signed up to Wolvesforum, as I thought they had some interesting discussions and really I just wanted to wish them the best of luck in the Europa League and express my hopes that we could replicate their success in the future, but got little more than a “Yeah, whatever, Villa fan”, which was probably fair enough.

There was a Villa fan posting on their forum earlier in the season, seemed a genuine and sensible guy just looking for friendly discussion and he got absolute dogs abuse on there.

They seemed a very insular bunch.  Part of the joy of football for me is talking with fans of other clubs.  

Unless it’s Glastonspur of course.

Edited by Wainy316

8 hours ago, Andy81 said:

It's a sad reflection of football fans in general. There is a real cult like environment a lot of the time.

You come across as an open minded person though. Fair play 

• Like 2

Never really gave much of a care about Wolves to be honest.

In the 42 years of my life it's only been the last few seasons they've been better than us...there's no debate to be had.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

If they'd qualified for CL their squad limit would've been cut to 23 players instead of 25. Not sure if there's any similar punishment in premier league.

Not much point as they only used about 16 players last season. 

It will be interesting to see how Wolves go this season, their manager is clearly very talented and obviously they have a bit of an angle in the transfer market but I just keep waiting for the wheels to come off.

Surely sooner or later bigger clubs are going to start coming in for their players or even Nuno? I mean surely that is why Mendes has moved them to Wolves to put them in the window for a bigger move?

The other thing that I think will catch them out sooner rather than later is the size of their squad, Nuno uses very few players but they've got away with it. If they had a number of big injuries to key players like we did last season I'm not sure how they would cope. This season I suspect is going to be physically hard on players after the events of the last few months and the absence of a real break and pre-season in the traditional sense. I've a feeling there may well be a lot more injuries this season than normal, we shall see.

I'm not bothered about Wolves in the slightest so this isn't a wish, more a prediction, I'm certainly envious of the players they've been able to sign though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Sevilla owner talking about winning the EL

"we beat Roma, that English team, man utd and inter Milan" 

:lol:

And now Wolves are linked to Lucas Ocampos if they sell Adama.

On 14/08/2019 at 13:13, sne said:

Think they might end up a few positions lower in the league this season.

Have a mini run in Europe (and maybe domestic cups)

And then after having consolidated their position as a top half PL-side spend big again next season with maybe a bit of a squad rebuild.

Turns out they actually did a tiny bit better this season. Same position but 2 points more. 

No idea but that break might have helped them somewhat as their key players got a bit of a respite. That said they were not in terrible form before the break either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

It will be interesting to see how Wolves go this season, their manager is clearly very talented and obviously they have a bit of an angle in the transfer market but I just keep waiting for the wheels to come off.

Surely sooner or later bigger clubs are going to start coming in for their players or even Nuno? I mean surely that is why Mendes has moved them to Wolves to put them in the window for a bigger move?

The other thing that I think will catch them out sooner rather than later is the size of their squad, Nuno uses very few players but they've got away with it. If they had a number of big injuries to key players like we did last season I'm not sure how they would cope. This season I suspect is going to be physically hard on players after the events of the last few months and the absence of a real break and pre-season in the traditional sense. I've a feeling there may well be a lot more injuries this season than normal, we shall see.

I'm not bothered about Wolves in the slightest so this isn't a wish, more a prediction, I'm certainly envious of the players they've been able to sign though.

It's simple. If they got a few injuries before Xmas then they would probably sign several highly ranked young Portuguese players on loan just completely randomly with absolutely no pattern to the transfers whatsoever

I think they've blown it, same with Leicester and Sheffield utd 

Another year where Chelsea tried their hardest not to finish top 4, spurs fell off a cliff, utd needed a £65m player in Jan and 20 penalties 

Last year was the year, everyone will be back stronger, including spurs and arsenal, maybe Everton even get in the EL hunt (doubt it) 

Might be wrong here but despite being labelled as in the hunt all year wolves never actually spent any prolonged spell in the top 4??

Aside from Adama and Jiminez I don't think they have any players that the bigger clubs would want, maybe Boly; their relative success is more down to how they've performed as a team and the system that's allowed for that to happen, similar to Sheffield United.

Which would suggest that Nuno will be a wanted man, but with him as well I don't think the bigger clubs will be interested, because when you look at it, he's got them promoted and finshed seventh twice with them which is obviously a very good achieivement, but I don't think it's enough for the 'bigger clubs' to be interested in him and anyone else he probably wouldn't feel it worth leaving Wolves for, only danger would be if they slipped into midtable.

So they're kind of in a good position, most of their players and manager, not good enough for the very best but also not much point in them leaving to join other clubs in a similar position at the moment.

• Like 1

Â