Jimzk5

30 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

With the small squad that Nino likes to work I actually think this is a big benefit for you next season after this ever lasting one.

I think you're right.  Only worry would be if players have a taste for it now, but I think European football could be a shit show next season.

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But the signings are more than Mendes contacts. Jimenez wasnt great in Spain and Portugal, Adama Traore as we are aware wasn't trustworthy on the pitch and even Moutinho he looked to be winding down his days.

A few other players you could say the same as well, they weren't at the top of the game before Wolves signed them

Absolutely.  We rarely sign established players at the top of their game, generally we sign players in the 10m - 20m range with room to grow.  Raul was the exception, but he was a risk when we signed him.

Our transfer window last summer was very unsuccessful too it should be pointed out.

Mendes also works closely with United I believe as well as many on the continent so it's not a one club thing at all.

2 hours ago, Andy81 said:

I think you're right.  Only worry would be if players have a taste for it now, but I think European football could be a shit show next season.

If it was CL maybe but not EL, I imagine a lot of players may well be quite happy not to be travelling to Europe next season.

2 hours ago, Andy81 said:

This isn't right, I believe Fosun had a relationship with him before they bought the club.

The first year we had a couple of bad managers as we just missed out on our first choice Logetegui who chose to be Spain coach before taking over Real Madrid, so I trust they have a good selection process for managers, which is something they do apparently as an investment group across all industries.

If we lost Nuno we would suffer, but it's an attractive position and they've selected the best coaching team of my lifetime so I'd trust them to do a decent job again.

Gutted to miss out (probably) on Europe, but if you're going to miss a season, next season is probably a good one to miss.

Stop with your coherent and logical thinking. 🙂

Football is built upon the altar of emotion and tribalism. It's an outlet for venting those ancient passions without catastrophic outcomes. It feeds the wolf and stops irrational thinking seeping into other areas of life. So let me indulge in a little fantasy.

Also Paul Lambert.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Let's face it Mendes is one of the most powerful people in football and Wolves are his club. They are going to have a constant conveyor of talented player he represents. Its likely they will be sold to bigger clubs though eg what's seems to be happening with Jiminez. But it's probably enough to keep Wolves 8th-12th for a very long time and when you've been eating shit as long as they have that's a pretty sweet thing. 

I think that's an understated benefit from mendes, jimenez and traore aren't his clients so they've been linked elsewhere, where are the ruben neves links? he walks in the midfields of 75% of the CL teams including a couple of the real big boys, wheres the links to moutinho having one last season in the sun? where are the links to all the big vacant jobs that nuno should be flirting with?

I think it shows just how much of this silly season is the agents just flooding the media with garbage either in an attempt to get the big move or the big pay day, that's not a problem that wolves seem to have, they actually appear far more stable than would be expected given what they're doing, they should be being picked apart and they're not and its not a reflection on the team or the players because they are good enough to move away

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Andy81 said:

Absolutely.  We rarely sign established players at the top of their game, generally we sign players in the 10m - 20m range with room to grow.  Raul was the exception, but he was a risk when we signed him.

Our transfer window last summer was very unsuccessful too it should be pointed out.

Mendes also works closely with United I believe as well as many on the continent so it's not a one club thing at all.

Andy you're a pretty sensible oppo fan on here so just interested from a distance what you think of our transfer policy? Surprised that we don't look at more established players from europa league standard teams like you tend to do? I see you're after a Braga striker just in case Jimenez is cashed in on. Or are you longing for some Clube Brugge players in your life?😉

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sure in the Premier League thats nothing, a slap on the wrist at most

It's not the Premier League, it's UEFA, which I think is a tighter target to hit.

First of all, I can't stand FFP, I think it's a tool used to stop anyone from touching the top clubs and is anti-competitive.  Villa will suffer from this artificial restriction too.

Secondly, for context the time period that was looked at stretched back to when Kenny Jackett was in charge, it's a reflection of how far to club has come in a short period.

FFP is bullshit, especially in Europe where it's harder to argue a club is going to bankrupt itself, although, I accept Leeds and Portsmouth were in Europe before they collapsed.

• Like 2

Could be in the media thread, but how long are the pundits (except the ex-referee that is) going to talk about whether the goalkeeper's foot was or wasn't touching the goal line rather than what a shit penalty it was?

Edit: they've just noticed some encroachment too, which is a fair point since the worst offender actually cleared it. Much like our conceded penalty vs Arsenal (?) that should've been taken. My above point still stands though.

Edited by fightoffyour

Â