Jimzk5

6 hours ago, Andy81 said:

Something definitely feels off to me.

We'll know more at the end of the window I guess, which is what?  October?

It closes 11 pm on October 5.

Really hope Wolves's aren't hit with some dodgy ownership shenanigans. The Doherty deal I agree is very odd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It closes 11 pm on October 5.

Really hope Wolves's aren't hit with some dodgy ownership shenanigans. The Doherty deal I agree is very odd.

If Doherty was English and at another club I bet he would have went for 3 times as much

A top full back has pace, can defend well, can beat a man and can cross. Doherty has none of those skills. He’s been good for us for the last three seasons as a niche wing back who cuts inside rather than one that heads for the byline and teams have struggled with his link up play. He was awful in a back 4 and spent most seasons when we had 4 at the back struggling to get a starting berth. In league one he was behind Sam Ricketts and lost his place to Dominic Iorfa in the championship. He was transformed under Nuno as he always has cover defensively and a licence to go forward. 

That said I’m surprised he’s been let go without a replacement already in place and the fee isn’t great considering he’s effectively been head hunted by Mourinho. How he’ll cope in a back four will be interesting although Mourinho plays almost reverts into a 3 with Davies tucking in on the left  Aurier wasn’t wanted in that role but at least he had pace to get back.

He’d have been in my top two of 1st XI players to upgrade. If Nuno is happy letting him go then all’s good but if he wasn’t then problems could be on the horizon. 

Edited by Baldricks Cunning Plan
  • Like 3

Thank you BCP, interesting view. 

I guess for me I'm a little surprised simply because of your squad size - I know Nuno doesn't like to use a lot of players, but your squad appeared light in depth for where you want to be and I'd kinda assumed that he'd be looking to bulk up the numbers rather than letting people go. 

I obviously don't spend the amount of time looking at Wolves as you do though and if you're happy enough, then I guess there's a plan.

Thought Maitland Niles deal was done but he played for Arsenal yesterday. Same with Rob Holding who's supposed to be going to Newcastle on loan and obviously Martinez.

I suspect AMN will end up at Wolves and that's a logical sign for them, fits their age profile and he can cover a few positions while finally getting a week in week out starting place.

Tactically they still remain a very good team. You saw that at VP. A very boring game for an hour then they scored and basically had their cigars out defending our "onslaught" which was hardly anything and they do that in many other games aswell. They have the game management when leading in games we solely lacked apart from Arsenal at home which was a start at least.

As long as they keep a front three of Jota-Jimenez-Adama and midfield of Neves-Moutinho fit and firing then that is too good to be finishing bottom half.

Think the problem will be next summer. If they don't make europe again all those players bar Moutiho will want to be playing in it.

We'll need to sign very well to get to within even 5 points of them. 24 points the difference so that's a huge chunk to try to whittle down. Bare in mind they didn't even win a league game until October last season aswell.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

I've seen quite a few Wolves fans say that they feel that Jota needs replacing, surprised me but looking at his record last season only scored in five league games and got just the one assist. Also think they need to improve in central midfield, Neves and Moutinho are good players but they're very similar, they need something different in there as well, also have to bear in mind that Moutinho isn't getting any younger.

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We'll need to sign very well to get to within even 5 points of them. 24 points the difference so that's a huge chunk to try to whittle down. Bare in mind they didn't even win a league game until October last season aswell.

The players we've got and the players we're linked with, we'll be nowhere near. I think it's more likely we'll finish 10 places below them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

I've seen quite a few Wolves fans say that they feel that Jota needs replacing, surprised me but looking at his record last season only scored in five league games and got just the one assist. Also think they need to improve in central midfield, Neves and Moutinho are good players but they're very similar, they need something different in there as well, also have to bear in mind that Moutinho isn't getting any younger.

Amazing the extreme opinions you get on football sometimes. This was @SeanVilla on the Rashica thread:

Jota was unbelievable for them last season, had his best season in a Wolves shirt, 16G 6A and he's only 23! Added to those listed is also Pedro Neto. Podence is the oldest at 24, can't see why they'd want to add Rashica on top of that, unless it was cover for Jimenez. Also the possibility of Traore leaving, but I can't see that happening any time soon.

He did very well for them in the europa league last season and suits their counter attacking style. One of those tho that tends to take a few months to get going, don't think he scored in the league until December 2018 in his first prem season and then was in nice form afterwards.

Anyway he's one I think they'll really struggle to hold onto this time next year.

Edited by VillaChris

Accordng to transfermarkt of his six assists last season, five of them came in two matches in the Europa qualifers, two against Crusaders, and then an hat-trick of assists against FC Pyunik Yerevan, he also scored the majority of his goals in Europe as well, hat-tricks against Espanyol and Beskitas and then three more in the qualifers.So big chunks of those sixteen goals and six assists last season are concentrated to single games.

I'm only going by what I saw some Wolves fans saying, I hadn't really taken much notice of him last season, watching the season before out of all their names I thought he'd probably be the one most likely to be wanted by a bigger club and make a success of it.

On the Doherty transfer and low fee that has taken everyone by surprise...

Turns out Mendez is Doherty’s agent and Nuno’s agent oh and guess what... he is also Jose’s agent.... oh and has a stake in Wolves.

What goes around comes around it would seem... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

On the Doherty transfer and low fee that has taken everyone by surprise...

Turns out Mendez is Doherty’s agent and Nuno’s agent oh and guess what... he is also Jose’s agent.... oh and has a stake in Wolves.

What goes around comes around it would seem... 

I think I’d have took this if offered four years ago. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andy81 said:

Lose Doherty in a cut price deal and lay top flight or give Lambert a 5 year contract and hover mid table

You definitely chose wrong 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

I don’t doubt it. I don’t believe that this doesn’t concern you/Wolves fans. What if he Jose/Mendes fancy moving a couple more of your players to Spurs?

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t doubt it. I don’t believe that this doesn’t concern you/Wolves fans. What if he Jose/Mendes fancy moving a couple more of your players to Spurs?

Well, first off, I don't get much say in these matters these days, so it doesn't really matter, but I'd expect there would still be aligned objectives between Mendes and Wolves' owners which would require the club to be in a relatively good position.

So I'm sure we'll see some move on over the years, but I'd expect some to move inwards too.

If we're battling Huddersfield for the final play off spot in four years, then you'll be right I guess.

30 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Well, first off, I don't get much say in these matters these days, so it doesn't really matter, but I'd expect there would still be aligned objectives between Mendes and Wolves' owners which would require the club to be in a relatively good position.

So I'm sure we'll see some move on over the years, but I'd expect some to move inwards too.

If we're battling Huddersfield for the final play off spot in four years, then you'll be right I guess.

No obviously you don’t.

If it doesn’t concern you fair enough, it would me. 

37 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No obviously you don’t.

If it doesn’t concern you fair enough, it would me. 

Things do seem off at the minute but they’ve all earned a little trust. Can’t do much about it anyway. 

Â