Jimzk5

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Yep

Regardless of the result the general football on show sevilla have been head and shoulders above them, schooled the, they play better football than 18 PL teams 

Good team. Fancy them to beat Man U. Should be a more open game at least.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good team. Fancy them to beat Man U. Should be a more open game at least.

just need to get past the United penalty and they will win. This is Sevilla tournament over last 15 years

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bielesibub said:

well thats however long of my life I'll never get back. I didn't think either team were particularly good.

I thought Sevilla, after the first 15 minutes, were excellent.

They were completely in control and were pulling Wolves out of shape continually, tiring them out and giving away next to no counter opportunities . Wolves looked like they were trying to win the game 0-0 and it's hard to create many chances when an organised side is sitting so deep but Sevilla's play paid off eventually.

• Like 1

I can see this being Wolves' equivalent of Villa's infamous night in Moscow - a poor performance that signals the beginning of the end of their renaissance.

There are a few differences between the two situations - Villa played a weaker team to concentrate on the league, and Wolves are really still fairly new to European football having not played since the 70s. But for the most part, there are a lot of similarities between the two moments in time and whether Wolves will suffer the same fall from fleeting grace will be interesting.

I think having been in such a good position in the league to qualify for Europe and faded away towards the end is reminiscent of Villa throwing away a top 4 finish at the end of the 08/09 season - the season after, Villa never made it past the qualifiers and lost Barry to City. Another similar season followed and before long O'Neill walks out and Milner, Young and Downing would all leave in the next 2 seasons.

For Wolves it is perceptible to see a similar pattern. There is already big interest in a number of Wolves players who may not want 12 months outside of European competitions, or want to play in the Champions League; Nuno is a hot prospect in management and will surely be a marked man for some big jobs ahead. I guess what will matter the most is how much at least a season outside of Europe will disrupt their plans, and whether the players and Nuno will be patient enough to stick with Wolves or opt for a more certain route to European football. Big summer ahead for them imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yep

Regardless of the result the general football on show sevilla have been head and shoulders above them, schooled the, they play better football than 18 PL teams 

I find Sevilla pretty boring to watch in La Liga generally but they do know how to defend and see out games. Their side under Sampaoli a few years back was far more exciting to watch.

Does feel like Wolves are starting to reach a crossraods, think they'll get one more year out of this group of players but then I suspect a few will start to move on so interested how they're replaced.

By accident rather than design, UEFA may have stumbled upon their most exciting and interesting concept so far in all the years pissing into the wind with this competition. Never enjoyed watching a Europa league much before but last 2 nights were proper cup tie stuff + the neutral venue added to it. Not hating the idea of sticking with this going forward. One off match , neutral venue from  QF on.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

By accident rather than design, UEFA may have stumbled upon their most exciting and interesting concept so far in all the years pissing into the wind with this competition. Never enjoyed watching a Europa league much before but last 2 nights were proper cup tie stuff + the neutral venue added to it. Not hating the idea of sticking with this going forward. One off match , neutral venue from  QF on.

It's never happen with the champions League as they want to milk the TV money, but Europa League is hardly big TV money as it is. I've long said it should be a straight knockout. Clubs don't take it seriously as it's about a billion extra matches. Make it 256 teams (can include some more clubs then), straight draw with no seeding, one-leg based on luck of the draw, straight knockout. Would mean only playing eight games to win it so clubs might take it seriously, and it'd be a lot more exciting. 

I have wondered a bit about the relative sizes of the midland clubs following tbh. I read a thread somewhere on Molineux mix that they insisted they had a bigger national and international fan base than us. Not that it's anything important, but is it true? I'm just asking cause of all the English football fans I know, I know ONE wolves fan. Now Norway might be a poor example, but just looking at the fan forums, do they have a bigger forum than Molineux mix. Seems to be way more activity on both VT and HV than what you see there. Not saying forum activity is a good example, but I'm confused as to why they think they have such a big fan base. 

It's hard to stay for sure, but Villa almost certainly have more fans, however I think we have more lapsed fans than people expect, and more than we should after the last 40 years which will have done a lot of damage to our fan base.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I have wondered a bit about the relative sizes of the midland clubs following tbh. I read a thread somewhere on Molineux mix that they insisted they had a bigger national and international fan base than us. Not that it's anything important, but is it true? I'm just asking cause of all the English football fans I know, I know ONE wolves fan. Now Norway might be a poor example, but just looking at the fan forums, do they have a bigger forum than Molineux mix. Seems to be way more activity on both VT and HV than what you see there. Not saying forum activity is a good example, but I'm confused as to why they think they have such a big fan base. 

In Ireland Villa have a huge fanbase probably only Liverpool and United have more from Premier League. In Scandinavia as well Villa seems to have a solid fan base. 

Elsewhere I would imagine neither are as popular maybe we got a few North American fans after the trips we did a few seasons back. Wolves though would certainly be more high profile in Southern Europe in recent times with a lot of the transfers though not sure if translates to fanbase 

10 hours ago, Andy81 said:

Best team won, but absolutely gutted. 

In all fairness (and I'm not trying to blow smoke up yer arse) i would love to be where wolves are now, having had the seasons in PL they've gone through. If you're on telly i usually watch the game but it sounds like a bridge too far last night.

At least next season you can "concentrate on the league !"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

In all fairness (and I'm not trying to blow smoke up yer arse) i would love to be where wolves are now, having had the seasons in PL they've gone through. If you're on telly i usually watch the game but it sounds like a bridge too far last night.

At least next season you can "concentrate on the league !"

Cheers chap.

Yeah it was no disgrace, and I expected to lose, but felt very much like the Watford semi final last season.  We've conceded a lot of late goal recently and that always hurts more.

The players look mentally done to me, which is completely understandable.  We really tailed off from a good position after restart and should have done better in normal circumstances.

We're not good to watch at the moment, and I worry that the new season is too close to do much about that.

Â