Jimzk5

2 hours ago, Andy81 said:

more Wolves fans, but that's to be expected as I'm more likely to notice them as they're generally better looking.

They certainly have a distinctive look. 😛

Capture.PNG

• Haha 3

Next season we need to show them some of our pride. We've played them surrendering in the two games this year. I don't think there were games that I saw us losing and accepted it before it began as with City and then them! (well Man Utd at home too). Even Liverpool I had some faith that we'd give them a game home and away.

We had some players missing in the away game, and they were in a huge form when the came after the lockdown. We weren't at our best mentally.

I think we'll need to take this game and rivalry more seriously, the **** won't take us anywhere. WBA are saved by coming up otherwise they were going in the same direction as them. Wolves are in the right direction, we still need to overtake them to go to the next level. So a rivalry would help achieving that for sure.

Man Utd and Arsenal used to have hate between them as if it was their main Derby when they competed each other. Now you could see it between Liverpool and City. I don't think it's obsess or whatever its called, I think that Villa then Wolves are the most successful teams in the midlands. That alone would give this game a huge importance. They're having their days now, third season on row they're up there. We'll need to get back our place. No shame in that.

Actually I even enjoy beating every team that we had some actions with. How lovely was it to shut Deeney twice? at the game, then when we stayed and they went down? I don't think anyone gave Bournemouth any attention (apart from when they talked about the hawkeye).

Apart from top 6, if you offered me to beat 4 teams home and away, I'd choose Wolves, Newcastle, Leeds and WBA for sure!

• Like 1

Yeah, they went 30 years without beating us (granted we didn't play each other that regularly) but our recent record against them is looking a bit pap.

Need to rectify that next season.  It's not like they ever surprise anyone with the way they set up, got to suss them out sooner or later.

same with blues and baggies, they had a period where they had our number, baggies especially due to the "rivalry" that they perpetuated resulting in games where it was embarrassing how much more up for it they were

wolves are better than it simply being a case of being a case of more up for it, the away game especially smith got properly done by their width and overlapping fullbacks, they played in so much space we didn't get near them but same again I would expect us to get a better grip on their tactics with time and give them a better game this season

• Like 1

Wolves have been a better team than us for the last three years, the later two because they had better players. I also think they’ve the better manager.

I’m fine with that as I’m not bothered by them at all or their fans attempt to stoke some sort of rivalry with us. They’ve never been on my radar and that isn’t going to start now.

We just need to keep improving and let them do their thing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

same with blues and baggies, they had a period where they had our number, baggies especially due to the "rivalry" that they perpetuated resulting in games where it was embarrassing how much more up for it they were

West Brom haven't really had an extended period of consistently beating us in my life time.  I'd say it's been a pretty even split the last 10 years, whereas before that we used to always beat them.

That first 6 games after SHA came up in 2002 though was absolutely horrendous.  I wondered if we'd ever beat them!  That worked out okay I guess.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Got a feeling their bubble will burst next season. Don’t ask me why, it’s just a feeling.

Their rise has been pretty much linear since they appointed Nuno.

They have kept the mostly same side for three years so to improve they have to buy/sell and these things don't always go to plan as we at Villa know only to well.

They will definitely face a testing time at some stage and some of their fans realise this but at lot don't...

22 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

West Brom haven't really had an extended period of consistently beating us in my life time.  I'd say it's been a pretty even split the last 10 years, whereas before that we used to always beat them.

We have won only 3 of the last 16 in the league vs them since 2011, they only beat us 5 times in that spell. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

We have won only 3 of the last 16 in the league vs them since 2011, they only beat us 5 times in that spell. 

I'd say beating them in the playoffs more than bridges that gap.  We also knocked them out the FA Cup at quarter final stage to conclude their week from hell.

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

As Hunter S Thompson would say that with Wolves, with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back...

You reckon so? Maybe the squad will begin to be dismantled bit by bit, replacements just not being as good, the "edifice" will slowly be chipped away. I think if they lose Nuno, they indeed would crumble almost instantaneously. You get the feeling he was hired by more luck than judgement.

I am envious of what they've built, but you do feel like they've reached their limits. Maybe that is the envy speaking. Villa could scale it up and actually challenge the establishment in my claret and blue tinged brain.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

17 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

You get the feeling he was hired by more luck than judgement.

This isn't right, I believe Fosun had a relationship with him before they bought the club.

The first year we had a couple of bad managers as we just missed out on our first choice Logetegui who chose to be Spain coach before taking over Real Madrid, so I trust they have a good selection process for managers, which is something they do apparently as an investment group across all industries.

If we lost Nuno we would suffer, but it's an attractive position and they've selected the best coaching team of my lifetime so I'd trust them to do a decent job again.

Gutted to miss out (probably) on Europe, but if you're going to miss a season, next season is probably a good one to miss.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Gutted to miss out (probably) on Europe, but if you're going to miss a season, next season is probably a good one to miss.

With the small squad that Nino likes to work I actually think this is a big benefit for you next season after this ever lasting one.

• Like 1

Let's face it Mendes is one of the most powerful people in football and Wolves are his club. They are going to have a constant conveyor of talented player he represents. Its likely they will be sold to bigger clubs though eg what's seems to be happening with Jiminez. But it's probably enough to keep Wolves 8th-12th for a very long time and when you've been eating shit as long as they have that's a pretty sweet thing. 

But the signings are more than Mendes contacts. Jimenez wasnt great in Spain and Portugal, Adama Traore as we are aware wasn't trustworthy on the pitch and even Moutinho he looked to be winding down his days.

A few other players you could say the same as well, they weren't at the top of the game before Wolves signed them

• Like 1

Â