Jimzk5

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I have wondered a bit about the relative sizes of the midland clubs following tbh. I read a thread somewhere on Molineux mix that they insisted they had a bigger national and international fan base than us. Not that it's anything important, but is it true? I'm just asking cause of all the English football fans I know, I know ONE wolves fan. Now Norway might be a poor example, but just looking at the fan forums, do they have a bigger forum than Molineux mix. Seems to be way more activity on both VT and HV than what you see there. Not saying forum activity is a good example, but I'm confused as to why they think they have such a big fan base. 

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

It feels like to me that a lot of the animosity recently was partly driven by the Xia ownership, Wyness, and Bruce moaning about Mendes publicly, days before a crucial match between us and when the EFL were holding a meeting on the issue, if memory serves correctly. It was so embarrassing and small-time, this came just before Wyness was himself suspended. The club was a mess. It felt like an easy distraction from our problems. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

It feels like to me that a lot of the animosity recently was partly driven by the Xia ownership, Wyness, and Bruce moaning about Mendes publicly, days before a crucial match between us and when the EFL were holding a meeting on the issue, if memory serves correctly. It was so embarrassing and small-time, this came just before Wyness was himself suspended. The club was a mess. It felt like an easy distraction from our problems. 

Yeah that's how I see it too.  The only good thing about it you could say is that both clubs have been on the rise since the spat broke out.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

Yeah that's how I see it too.  The only good thing about it you could say is that both clubs have been on the rise since the spat broke out.

Just curious to know, Villa weren't the only club that had complained about Mendes if my memory serves me correctly, so why do Wolves fans focus on Villa so much? 

I personally think the whole Mendes thing was a storm in a teacup and it seems a bit of a small thing to develop a hatred for one club. I've got a lot of respect for Wolves, particularly on the field, but some of their fans really are puzzling.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

I am glad Wolves are having the success they are. We need strong consistency from Midlands teams in the top tier. The banter is understandable at times, especially when it comes close to match day, but the Mendes stuff was so overblown. 

I hope we can replicate your success in the coming years, have some league stability, and compete in a healthy manner for European football and league standings. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

I can see this being Wolves' equivalent of Villa's infamous night in Moscow - a poor performance that signals the beginning of the end of their renaissance.

There are a few differences between the two situations - Villa played a weaker team to concentrate on the league, and Wolves are really still fairly new to European football having not played since the 70s. But for the most part, there are a lot of similarities between the two moments in time and whether Wolves will suffer the same fall from fleeting grace will be interesting.

I think having been in such a good position in the league to qualify for Europe and faded away towards the end is reminiscent of Villa throwing away a top 4 finish at the end of the 08/09 season - the season after, Villa never made it past the qualifiers and lost Barry to City. Another similar season followed and before long O'Neill walks out and Milner, Young and Downing would all leave in the next 2 seasons.

For Wolves it is perceptible to see a similar pattern. There is already big interest in a number of Wolves players who may not want 12 months outside of European competitions, or want to play in the Champions League; Nuno is a hot prospect in management and will surely be a marked man for some big jobs ahead. I guess what will matter the most is how much at least a season outside of Europe will disrupt their plans, and whether the players and Nuno will be patient enough to stick with Wolves or opt for a more certain route to European football. Big summer ahead for them imo.

Sadly, no way as long as Fosun and Mendes have an interest.

55 minutes ago, MadridVilla said:

Just curious to know, Villa weren't the only club that had complained about Mendes if my memory serves me correctly, so why do Wolves fans focus on Villa so much? 

I personally think the whole Mendes thing was a storm in a teacup and it seems a bit of a small thing to develop a hatred for one club. I've got a lot of respect for Wolves, particularly on the field, but some of their fans really are puzzling.

I think it's overblown, especially on Twitter, but it wasn't just that, Bruce's comments throughout the season didn't help, and you were chasing us for automatic promotion unlike the other clubs, plus we are local and playing each other pretty often at the moment.

Also, you'd be mistaken for thinking it's a one way thing, there are plenty of Villa fans sniping the other way at any opportunity, but I think attention will turn to Albion now for a while at least.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I am glad Wolves are having the success they are. We need strong consistency from Midlands teams in the top tier. The banter is understandable at times, especially when it comes close to match day, but the Mendes stuff was so overblown. 

I hope we can replicate your success in the coming years, have some league stability, and compete in a healthy manner for European football and league standings. 

Absolutely agree.  The attention given to the North West and London while we're ignored in the Midlands does my nut in.

You're in the strongest position you've been for years now I think, decent base to push on from.

• Like 3

Wolves are a likeable side; cant not admire what they’ve done on the pitch. They are similar to us under the O’Neill era in terms of pushing the top 6 season on season whilst beating the top sides regularly like we were.

My only issue with them is the minority of their fanbase giving it, but even then I can understand it. That many years of being in the wilderness to then get where they are now you’re bound to be full of it unless you’re an older level headed fan. Good luck to them, never looked at Wolves any different than I would a Forest or Leicester.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Villas fall from grace over the last 10 years highlights this really well.

Success has to be benchmarked somewhere and  over the course of Villas history until just recently we have been a top 6 side (that's averaged out and points based...….do a quick google search.) we are that benchmark around here. 

But we aren't that side anymore...….but it clear we are still their benchmark.So first  WBA and now Wolves hold and 7th/8th place finish in such high regard because Villa are nowhere near them...... whereas Villa with a good side would consider 7th/8th as failure.

If Wolves continue their ascendance  we can chase them back to where we belong they will be doing us a favour...…….whereas us being crap is actually harming them!

Edited by MarkLillis

I have been very impressed by their rise in the last few years and I think the manager will eventually manage a big club.

What I hadn’t realised is they have actually spent quite a bit of money.They spent 110 million last summer and 100 million the summer before.In 2 years in the championship they spent 50 million so this is no Sheffield United .The Mendes link also allowed them to loan highly rated players before they bought them.

Just wonder if the strained relations between China and Uk is going to affect the amount their owners will be allowed to invest in the future.

29 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

I have been very impressed by their rise in the last few years and I think the manager will eventually manage a big club.

What I hadn’t realised is they have actually spent quite a bit of money.They spent 110 million last summer and 100 million the summer before.In 2 years in the championship they spent 50 million so this is no Sheffield United .The Mendes link also allowed them to loan highly rated players before they bought them.

Just wonder if the strained relations between China and Uk is going to affect the amount their owners will be allowed to invest in the future.

Those figures look way off to me, especially as a net spend.

1 hour ago, Andy81 said:

Those figures look way off to me, especially as a net spend.

I used the site    transfermarkt ,there is always a grey area in transfers especially with add ons .

These are not net spends just incoming transfers for instance Jimenez 35M,Cutrone 20M,Podence 18M,Neto16MDendonker12.5M

For the championship it states you spent 22M in 17/18 and 30 the year before .

Guess they'll be thankful for a break by now. Even thou Covid-19 also meant a break of course. Quite the season.

383 days, 59 games and 30,000 miles: Wolves' epic season that started on July 25 last year finally draws to a close after Europa League exit to Sevilla in an incredible feat of fitness and stamina

• Wolves' competitive season started in Europa qualifiers back on July 25, 2019
  • It finally came to an end 383 days and 59 games later with defeat to Sevilla
  • Their cross-continental odyssey has seen them rack up 18,756 miles in total
  • Domestic games takes this closer to 30,000 miles travelled for the season 
  • 11 of the 14 players who started season against Crusaders also played Sevilla

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8619663/Wolves-epic-season-lasting-59-games-383-days-finally-comes-end.html

3 hours ago, Andy81 said:

Also, you'd be mistaken for thinking it's a one way thing, there are plenty of Villa fans sniping the other way at any opportunity, but I think attention will turn to Albion now for a while at least.

Yeah, Twitter is full of morons on both sides but look at the difference with how Villa fans discuss Wolves in this thread and the how Villa are discussed in the various related threads on Molineux Mix.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah, Twitter is full of morons on both sides but look at the difference with how Villa fans discuss Wolves in this thread and the how Villa are discussed in the various related threads on Molineux Mix.

agreed, we do like to hang on to a grudge regardless.

Don't get me wrong, I do too, but I guess I'm more picky :) 

• Like 1

On 12/08/2020 at 11:14, Andy81 said:

Cheers chap.

Yeah it was no disgrace, and I expected to lose, but felt very much like the Watford semi final last season.  We've conceded a lot of late goal recently and that always hurts more.

The players look mentally done to me, which is completely understandable.  We really tailed off from a good position after restart and should have done better in normal circumstances.

We're not good to watch at the moment, and I worry that the new season is too close to do much about that.

I think it was Arsenal game which crashed your season. Had you win that there was a very good chance you’d go to the CL instead  of Chelsea in the last game. But neither that nor Burnley last minute goal helped at all. 

• Like 1

On 12/08/2020 at 15:52, MarkLillis said:

Villas fall from grace over the last 10 years highlights this really well.

Success has to be benchmarked somewhere and  over the course of Villas history until just recently we have been a top 6 side (that's averaged out and points based...….do a quick google search.) we are that benchmark around here. 

But we aren't that side anymore...….but it clear we are still their benchmark.So first  WBA and now Wolves hold and 7th/8th place finish in such high regard because Villa are nowhere near them...... whereas Villa with a good side would consider 7th/8th as failure.

If Wolves continue their ascendance  we can chase them back to where we belong they will be doing us a favour...…….whereas us being crap is actually harming them!

To be honest, it felt like a failure for them and for Leicester, they all were expected to do better with the season going. It’s too risky not to keep improving. I think they know that. They have a capable squad. We still have a mountain to climb. I think they needed a cup win. I think a club needs to look up always while being realistic. Look at Leipzig and Atlanta. I don’t think any club (even if it was a tinpot club) would be happy to keep surviving without having a vision. But yes I agree that we have the attributes to make us a more successful club (which Wolves themselves have more than a lot of clubs in the country). 

At the end of the day, I think it’s good to have a strong Derby than having to look down. I’m not sure West Brom has any good plans or management. But it’s good to have Midlands teams up, and looking to Europe rather than surviving. Those rivalries help teams to up their game. 

• Like 2

As a villa fan, I've genuinely never cared about wolves. 

Yet the moment they had some success they couldn't shut up about us. 

I'm impressed with what they've done, I still don't really care about them. I find it so odd how obsessed with us they've become. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

As a villa fan, I've genuinely never cared about wolves. 

Yet the moment they had some success they couldn't shut up about us. 

I'm impressed with what they've done, I still don't really care about them. I find it so odd how obsessed with us they've become. 

See my benchmark theory posted above yours.

All the clubs around here have had decent teams over the past 20 years (Stoke,Wolves, WBA,Leicester,Coventry...further back though and even Blues for a little bit under Bruce) They all started directing banter at us when it wasn't there previously.

Its simple if a midlands team is good they laugh at Villa

If a midlands team is not performing well they look to their local rivals for the banter and jokes.

Edited by MarkLillis

Â