Ashley Young

maqroll

No brainer to bring in a model professional, a serial winner who has a soft spot for us to provide cover in lots of positions and to help guide the rest of this very young squad with their ongoing development.

Could be as simple as a one year deal or a potential future coaching role depending on what he wants to do. 

• Like 1

Well it certainly seems like a 'smart' signing which would fit the narrative that has come out of Villa Park recently.

As I said last season the owners won't be spending the TV money every season. They're businessmen who expect returns on their investment. 

Ashley Young still producing the goods at his age and would bring in the winning mentality and arrogance which I feel we lack sometimes. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Well it certainly seems like a 'smart' signing which would fit the narrative that has come out of Villa Park recently.

As I said last season the owners won't be spending the TV money every season. They're businessmen who expect returns on their investment. 

Ashley Young still producing the goods at his age and would bring in the winning mentality and arrogance which I feel we lack sometimes. 

I agree. Not sure what we will spend or not spend. But whatever we have available would remain untouched. Guilbert, Young and Buendia will replace Taylor, Elmo and Barkley. Then we can spend whatever we have left to actually strengthen. 

• Like 1

He's 2 years older than Elmo who we have just let go.  Our strategy is to invest in young players who will grow in value. 

It aintent going to happen. 

Always got the impression that Elmo was preferred to Guilbert last year due to the lack of senior professionals in the squad. I think this could be a very smart move - realistically he'll be back up to Targett so unlikely to play much, but if we are interested then I'm sure it's in large part due to what he can bring off the pitch as well. I trust in the powers that be, and can fully see the logic behind this one.

he's surely an upgrade on elmo and taylor. better than bringing in a younger FB that is expecting to play games. young will be happy sat on the bench earning his ££

i think he's a sensible signing personally

10 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Not questioning the logic of him signing at all just all things considered seems one of the more out there / unlikely links, surely that's not a controversial opinion?

I wouldn't mind him back at the club at all. I wanted us to resign Barry and Milner in seasons past, Milner i'd still go for. Ain't up to me though.

Oh I don’t think it’s controversial, but I think it’s wrong to assume we wouldn’t be interested in an experienced player because “it doesn’t fit the model”. That’s all really. I’ve no idea if Young is somebody we are exploring. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

It really doesn’t make much sense in the context of everything we’ve been doing recruitment wise. 

I agree we need cover but he’ll want to play some games which will probably be only LC games given Targett’s injury record. There will be no benefit to the club in playing him in the LC instead of a young player. 

We need cover that has a future not a stand in emergency player. Targett will need rests occasionally and injuries can occur at anytime. I’d like to think that our recruitment team can find someone who is on the up in his career that will not only be cover but will, after time challenge Matt for his place. That should be the aim for all positions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Imagine the influence he'd have on the likes of Carney and Jacob etc. He was a star when they were just lads and he pretty much won it all since then. 

Yes, he would tell them what a great time he had after leaving us and would offer to put them in touch with his agent. :(

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

A young squad is all very well but I think on a day to day basis it is important to have older heads in the squad as role models on and off the pitch .

At the minute despite the quality we have there isn't a lot of tangible success - trophies - to boast of. Success breeds success and having someone who has won stuff in the squad would be huge for us.

They said Cambiasso was Leicester's most important signing for that reason.

• Like 2

Â