Ashley Young

maqroll

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

If he's good enough to play 34 games for Inter Milan and win Serie A he's good enough to be playing a handful of games for us and being an experienced head and voice in the squad. 

Serie A is nowhere near as fast or intense as the premier league. He would look every bit a 36 year old playing in the PL.

• Confused 1

A young squad is all very well but I think on a day to day basis it is important to have older heads in the squad as role models on and off the pitch .

At the minute despite the quality we have there isn't a lot of tangible success - trophies - to boast of. Success breeds success and having someone who has won stuff in the squad would be huge for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thug said:

That's exactly the point though.

The Serie A winner isn't going to come to us unless:

a) He is promised a starting role in what is likely his last year of top level football or

b) He is getting paid a shed-load of money to spend what is likely the last year of his football career warming our bench.

And it's not going to be A.

He can go to West Ham or Newcastle.

I sincerely hope that we would spend that money on a young upcoming left back that is willing to push Targett for a first team spot.

We bought Konsa for £12m.  Palace probably spent that much on Cahill for 2 years.  We need to get over this whole giving contracts to dead end situations.  There will be plenty of other more sustainable options out there.

His name is Wijndal and plays for AZ in Holland.

Sky reporting this also.

Wouldn't mind it to be honest, I know everyone is eager for every position to be filled ASAP with the best prospects available but if the powers that be deemed it necessary to kill two birds with one stone in Young as a stop-gap being able to replace both Elmo and Taylor, and being able to allocate funds elsewhere in the process for more pressing needs in the starting XI then why not.

• Like 1

cracking signing, wont complain he isnt a starter and can play multiple positions and has played at the top level for nearly 15 seasons. top professional

Antonio Conte doesnt sign players that are phoning it in

Edited by Zatman

34 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

And Barcelona are interested in him...

I think i have more money than Barcelona 😂

Just for the record i dont plan to buy Wijndal 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Football is weird. Imagine going back to when we'd just sold him to United and telling yourself that a 36-year old Young might return to Villa a decade later after a spell at Inter Milan.

Imagine going back ten years and telling yourself it'd be a full decade before Joey Barton returned to court for more assault charges, after a spell as manager at two professional football clubs.

Mental.

Also, I'd take Ashely Young if it were a possibility. We could use one older head in the squad with Elmo going.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Imagine going back ten years and telling yourself it'd be a full decade before Joey Barton returned to court for more assault charges, after a spell as manager at two professional football clubs.

Mental.

Also, I'd take Ashely Young if it were a possibility. We could use one older head in the squad with Elmo going.

Dont forget that Joey had a philosophical period too quoting Nietzsche 😛

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

Also, if he's expecting an emotional return, he must have forgotten all about that dive against us the following season after he switched teams...  because we sure didn't!

I literally have… can’t remember that at all. You live by the dive, you die by the dive I suppose haha

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Astonished at the negative reaction to this. Saying he doesn’t fit the model doesn’t really mean anything, it wouldn’t be bizarre to imagine they want experience in the dressing room given we’ve lost almost all of our more experienced heads over the course of 3 seasons.

Successive managers have admired him for his leadership qualities and he has just won a Seria A title. But he’s not good enough for our squad because reasons.

Agreed.  I'm really intrigued by this.  I just went on to youtube to watch his highlights reel and he clearly played plenty and still has it (or an element of it).  If he was reasonably cheap and came in on a short term deal, maybe alongside a very young left back who has strong development potential and offered cover at LW and LB and some great experience/a great role model for the dressing room/the young boys coming through I could get behind this.

I would prefer Rash .... oh leave it now!😉

Edited by barry'sboots

Â