Ashley Young

maqroll

Just now, CVByrne said:

If he's good enough to play 34 games for Inter Milan and win Serie A he's good enough to be playing a handful of games for us and being an experienced head and voice in the squad. 

So that statement should tell you why he'd be on and want comedy wages as you put it

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I think our club are well run enough to work out what value an experienced back up player should be worth in wages. It wouldn't be among the top 3 earners at the club.

If they sign him, not sure why people are taking one article from a pretty unreliable source as gospel that it's a done deal.

Edited by VillanousOne

33 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

he's a great player and if he was coming on board with a view to a player/coach style role then us being his transition club from playing to coaching would make sense.

But since we've been taken over I don't think we've signed an OUTFIELD player older than 26.

His wages would be huge also. 

So not a terrible signing just very unlikely based on our transfer activity over the last 2-3 years.

This summer we’ve lost more experienced heads, two of them being King Elmo and Neil Taylor, both full backs. I just don’t think it’s a reach to think we might want to replace that experience on a short term deal whilst also bolstering the full back positions. It doesn’t require a change in transfer philosophy, in fact it might be an integral part of it for all we know. We have the youngest squad in the premier league and still would have. 

• Like 2

I'd have him back for the right terms (and I've more faith than I think I've ever had in the club to secure said terms).  Be a humongous upgrade on Taylor as a back-up.

• Like 2

Just now, GarethRDR said:

I'd have him back for the right terms (and I've more faith than I think I've ever had in the club to secure said terms).  Be a humongous upgrade on Taylor as a back-up.

If the 'right terms' were 20k a week and for free, and a 1 year deal, then yh ok.

But htey're not going to be that.  It'll be £5m for him £5m for his agent £5m signing on fee, to sit on the bench.

No thank you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This summer we’ve lost more experienced heads, two of them being King Elmo and Neil Taylor, both full backs. I just don’t think it’s a reach to think we might want to replace that experience on a short term deal whilst also bolstering the full back positions. It doesn’t require a change in transfer philosophy, in fact it might be an integral part of it for all we know. We have the youngest squad in the premier league and still would have. 

Not questioning the logic of him signing at all just all things considered seems one of the more out there / unlikely links, surely that's not a controversial opinion?

I wouldn't mind him back at the club at all. I wanted us to resign Barry and Milner in seasons past, Milner i'd still go for. Ain't up to me though.

In terms of value it makes complete sense. Sorts out the fullback cover for 12 months with nothing but wages. Lots of experience to bring and pass on, knows the club (though in for a shock at BMH), does minimal damage to the overall transfer budget.

The owners like a good deal and this smells like one. 

11 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

We have one left back and people are turning their noses up at someone who played over 30+ games last year at LWB for the Serie A winners to come in as our backup? Bizzare.

Doubt there's much truth in the rumour though.

That's exactly the point though.

The Serie A winner isn't going to come to us unless:

a) He is promised a starting role in what is likely his last year of top level football or

b) He is getting paid a shed-load of money to spend what is likely the last year of his football career warming our bench.

And it's not going to be A.

He can go to West Ham or Newcastle.

I sincerely hope that we would spend that money on a young upcoming left back that is willing to push Targett for a first team spot.

We bought Konsa for £12m.  Palace probably spent that much on Cahill for 2 years.  We need to get over this whole giving contracts to dead end situations.  There will be plenty of other more sustainable options out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Thug said:

That's exactly the point though.

The Serie A winner isn't going to come to us unless:

a) He is promised a starting role in what is likely his last year of top level football or

b) He is getting paid a shed-load of money to spend what is likely the last year of his football career warming our bench.

And it's not going to be A.

He can go to West Ham or Newcastle.

I sincerely hope that we would spend that money on a young upcoming left back that is willing to push Targett for a first team spot.

We bought Konsa for £12m.  Palace probably spent that much on Cahill for 2 years.  We need to get over this whole giving contracts to dead end situations.  There will be plenty of other more sustainable options out there.

You're massively overestimating how much he'd want. You pulled a £100k/week demand out your arse on the last page (£5m in wages), he's on £50k/week at Inter according to Corriere dello Sport, why would a player winding down his career expect double his wages(18 months after more than halving his wages to move to Inter), and then want a further £10m in Agent/Signing on Fees? Seems to me like he'd be asking for between £25k-£35k per week, which is nothing in the Premier League these days, especially when the alternative is likely to be spend £10m+ on a new LB on similar, if not higher, wages.

• Like 1

Really don't get the negative reaction to this.

We have a very young squad and have just released our two experienced backup players who need replacing.

We need cover at right and left back.

We need someone who could maybe mentor our younger players and provide a winning mentality.

He takes a decent free kick.

He's always kept himself in good shape.

Only possible negative I can think is if his wages were through the roof but I trust our management on that front.

So it's a yes from me.

• Like 1

Great pro. Not for me though, at this point in his career. We can't do sentiment. Have to be cold and ruthless. Buendia is the type of signing we are/should be making now. Right are profile and room for improvement. Talk of Young been " good for the dressing room " is silly bollocks talk and id be worried if that was a factor if we decided to go for him.

Â