Ashley Young

maqroll

32 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Would rather have kept Elmo as a veteran than Ashley Young who's 2 years older. 

I loved him when he played for us but that's it, he should stay as a memory. 

Young is miles better than Elmo, Palace game showed it was right to get rid of him

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Since NSWE bought the club they've made over 20 signings and only one of them has been over the age of 28. That was Heaton. This doesn't fit the model as far as I can see.

But we've just lost our three most experienced players. Experience needs replacing. We can't only have young players.

• Like 3

I wouldnt mind if he came back. It isnt like having Elmo and Taylor. He is a seasoned winner who has played at the very top ever since he left Villa. He’s experienced and have a great personality and if he can rub off and build some of that winning mentality into our dressing room then im all for it. And if he did come back it might likely be on basis that they have offered some sort of coaching/staff role after he hangs up his boots. Pretty sure they offered Elmo the same thing. I still have a poster of him and Milner in our peak Nike kit on my bedroom wall so if they ever came back to Villa it will be really cool! 

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

But we've just lost our three most experienced players. Experience needs replacing. We can't only have young players.

This experience wasn't having much of an effect on the team imo. One of the 3 played zero minutes. Another played 16 minutes.

We don't need to let players in their mid 30s leave just to replace them with more players in their mid 30s imo.

I think in this instance any experience we've lost has been more than replaced by the cumulative experience the squad has gained over the past two seasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Have we ever resigned someone? I’m fairly certain this is just nonsense… not even sure he’d be very effective anymore either 

Steve Staunton, twice from Liverpool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

That was Arsene Wenger’s mistake i believe. I remember watching Arsenal back then. Wenger had a squad of young Fabregas, Nasri, Song, Ramsey, Wilshere and Walcott and won nothing with them. I’d hate to see a squad of Grealish, Luiz, Buendia, Watkins and Konsa win nothing for years. Works best if there’s a balance. Right now i dont see much experienced heads or a true leader (other than Mings and Martinez).

• Thanks 1

image.jpeg.f2ac8322c528954de60b313250068c4f.jpeg image.jpeg.0b2fdb66903797255671e96980095efc.jpeg

For me, he wanted away and he got his "dream move" which was away from us. He used us a stepping stone to Old Trafford, as did Bosnich & Yorke before him. I will always remember his days with us fondly, but I'm afraid that I am with The Joker on this one.

Gordon Cowans was different in that he always was a Villa man and he was still young enough to perform well at a high level. It doesn't always work as Andy Gray demonstrated when he came back to us and Bale also did the same last season at Spurs. Like Benteke and Milner, Young has moved on. We thank them for their service, but we don't need them back in my opinion, we too need to move on now.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

As others have said - why let go of Taylor and Elmo just to bring in an older veteran. 

Was it their age that was the issue though? I think it was more the fact that they weren't good enough tbh.

Young wouldn't be my first choice. I don't think he's a great full back in a back 4 (or as a winger either). Wouldn't hate it though. 

4 minutes ago, Shay said:

That was Arsene Wenger’s mistake i believe. I remember watching Arsenal back then. Wenger had a squad of young Fabregas, Nasri, Song, Ramsey, Wilshere and Walcott and won nothing with them. I’d hate to see a squad of Grealish, Luiz, Buendia, Watkins and Konsa win nothing for years. Works best if there’s a balance. Right now i dont see much experienced heads or a true leader (other than Mings and Martinez).

They also had Rosicky, Sagna, Arshavin, RVP, Squillaci, Almunia all 28+ by the time Fabregas left. Don't think their problem was not having enough old players.

8 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

They also had Rosicky, Sagna, Arshavin, RVP, Squillaci, Almunia all 28+ by the time Fabregas left. Don't think their problem was not having enough old players.

Yes and none of them bar RVP and Sagna were top players. Rosicky was a crooked, Arshavin was an relatively unknown player brought in from Russia and the rest were squaddies. Only RVP and Sagna were the experience heads there. That wasnt enough and they didnt win anything with that squad. My point was they tried to build a squad mostly filled with young players and the plan failed in the end. If they had bought some experienced top players along with those young players they had, they might have won something. 

Just now, Shay said:

Yes and none of them bar RVP and Sagna were top players. Rosicky was a crooked, Arshavin was an relatively unknown player brought in from Russia and the rest were squaddies. Only RVP and Sagna were the experience heads there. That wasnt enough and they didnt win anything with that squad. My point was they tried to build a squad mostly filled with young players and the plan failed in the end. If they had bought some experienced top players along with those young players they had, they might have won something. 

Rosicky, Arshavin, RVP, Sagna and Almunia were all first choice that season. Still, I see that I misunderstood the point.

I took from the fact that it was in the thread about signing a 35 year old back up fullback and was in reply to someone suggesting that we need to replace the experience of Heaton and Taylor that you were agreeing we needed old players in the squad.

What you actually meant was you want us to sign old players with the intention of playing them regularly? I think I still disagree tbh.

Leaning towards clickbait /agent chatter with this one. I thought I’d be more against it if asked last week but I do see more benefits to negatives. One thing to also think about is we lose Traore to AFCON for January for up to a month. Young can provide cover RW if required. 

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Have we ever resigned someone? I’m fairly certain this is just nonsense… not even sure he’d be very effective anymore either 

Sid Cowans had one, two, three stints at Aston Villa.  Just one of the reasons why he's a hero for me.

Â