Ashley Young

maqroll

Wasn't keen at first but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Way I see it, we know that we have money to spend, but FFP restrictions means that we have to be smart as to how we not only strengthen, but also stabilise the squad. I think that there are other positions that need more serious investment, so if we've got Young as cover for potentially both Cash and Targett, then I don't really see us as being particularly light in this area. His experience will be valuable, and I don't think he's going to half arse it and be content with sitting on the bench. He'll be pushing for a start, which can only be good for Cash and Targett.

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So we're signing him as a good influence on the training ground? May as well have kept Micah Richards, he was well liked by all accounts. 

We have plenty of good coaches, what we need is good young players, not a 36 year old. 

Don't like this one at all. 

I get what you’re saying, but I trust the club and the current administration. If they think this is low risk and a good move then I trust them :) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

it could be quite prudent, I never seen this coming, shows that despite their general model, they can still deviate, when it makes sense.

Agreed. And if nothing else it will mean people on here don’t dismiss potential signings based on comments from a single interview a couple of years ago about the sort of players we’d ideally sign!

Last time I saw him play was when he was looking like a horse ready for the glue factory back in the 2018 world cup

that said he just played 26 games for a team that won the league, so presumably he still has something to offer

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

This is a strategic move imo......not part of the overall plan.

it could be quite prudent, I never seen this coming, shows that despite their general model, they can still deviate, when it makes sense.

I always look for your opinion and im glad it was this one as i see this as a sensible signing for a player who has shown he's just as fit as a 25 yrd old and can cover several positions,

Brings experience and just come off a league title win with Inter, knows the club albeit a lot has changed since that time.. but Ashley Young has a great attitude which will work well, definitely good piece of business, future signings will be more younger with potential and longevity in other areas in the team such as central Midfield and forward areas. But its a thumbs up from me 👍🏽  

• Like 1

Well i am eating humble pie, as i didn't think this would happen but looks like it is.

We do lack experience and leadership all over the park, i think for the wages he will be on he will be more than just a back up for Targett, I can see him regularly getting some game time further up the pitch even if just from the bench. You don't bring in someone of his class and wages to sit on the bench all season, unless his role is transitioning to coaching and he is there for more than just occasional cameos.

Ok, must admit didn’t think this was likely, but it looks like it’s gonna happen.

If the contract is right, and considering it’ll likely be a 1 year deal (maybe an option of one more) and allow one of our youngsters to develop, then it’s a good move.

And like someone said before, it’s not like we can drop £20m plus in every position

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Last time I saw him play was when he was looking like a horse ready for the glue factory back in the 2018 world cup

that said he just played 26 games for a team that won the league, so presumably he still has something to offer

The Italian league is slower and more technical. He needs to still have a bit of pace and quickness or he will get scythed down in seconds every time he gets the ball in the Prem. Hopefully he does.

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

This is a strategic move imo......not part of the overall plan.

I think it would be part of the general model.  Have a young group of players of around 20-30 players (first team and quality in younger teams) and then a handful of older players for various reasons.  I think there needs to be a balance, it cant all be young and so our model is 90% young and the rest older players.  A pure 100% youngsters would seem too far.  Somebody like Young whose been around the block, is free, and I assume his wages wont be stupid will benefit the younger players.  I think this would be part of the general model.

20 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Is this Matt Targett of which you speak? Players’ Player of the Season for 2020-1?

Blimey, if he is only a reliable 6-7/10 player, I’m not surprised you are fearful for the rest of the summer because in your mind we must be needing a complete renewal of the squad in every position.

If all our players were consistently " 6 - 7/10 " like Matt Targett, as quoted, over the course of last season we possibly would have finished in Europe comfortably. Lol

Our most consistent performer over the whole term, if anyone was let down, it was HIM!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

No he wasn't. Jack was! Our most improved player yes, most reliable defender yes. Watkins was better than him, Konsa was on par with him.

Targett went from needing to be replaced to undropable. That is certainly fine work. But he is still limited.

Obviously Grealish was but he was missing for 13 games. Out of everyone else Targett was our best player. Us getting Young in as his backup instead of Taylor improves us drastically. Simple as that.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

The Italian league is slower and more technical. He needs to still have a bit of pace and quickness or he will get scythed down in seconds every time he gets the ball in the Prem. Hopefully he does.

Oh you wont need to worry about matching pace he can still manage well

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So we're signing him as a good influence on the training ground? May as well have kept Micah Richards, he was well liked by all accounts. 

We have plenty of good coaches, what we need is good young players, not a 36 year old. 

Don't like this one at all. 

We've just lost our 3 most experienced players. This signing not only replaces two of them but improves on two of them. What's not to like?

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. The whole notion of loyalty is bullshit, because fans are hypocrites with it. They only want good players to be loyal and they show no loyalty back. 

No one wanted Heskey or Mcleish to be loyal. No one demanded Lansbury remain loyal and fight for his place. 

I'm genuinely stunned there are people dead against this signing.

I actually think Ashley Young showed the club a lot of respect. He gave us some of his best years, never said anything bad about us and only left when the club abandoned its ambition and then he went to Man Utd who where the biggest team in the world at the time.

Personally  I never expect loyalty from players. As football is their job. I don’t expect any normal person to stay in a job, when a bigger company offering more money, benefits, and more promotional opportunities are on the table.

Now a player at a club like Villa with ambition and money, that is developed at the club and is a lifelong fan, living their dream of playing for club they love. Loyalty should not only be expected (to an extent), but the player would probably be happier staying rather than leaving providing the club's ambitions matched their own.

• Like 3

Â