Ashley Young

maqroll

His wages and longevity is going to be an expensive stop gap until we find someone long term. 

im just hoping he still have some of his prem quality. 

a reluctant “welcome back” fingers crossed it works out 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hopefully he never plays as it means Target is available throughout. But it’s reliable cover for a year.

He will play, even if only primarily as a sub and I for one am looking forward to him doing so because he definitely still has something to offer.

Not a lot wrong with signing him, it allows us to have cover at fullback and on the wing. A potential new coach in the set up too. 

Give us some experience and someone who can help the likes of Kessler, Chrisene grow into the first teams. We're obviously targeting Midfield as a big area of investment this year, it's unlikely we'll want to spend £15m+ on another left back, which is what a young talent would cost at least. 

He'll cost us what, £3.5 to £4m in wages and maybe £2m in signing on fees? You'd hope for less than £70-80k per week at his age, but he probably wants more for being on a free. But if it's around there, £5-6m total outlay, even on a young kid we'd probably pay then 30-40k per week if spending £15m+ on them. Which is £1.5m a year,  meaning a potential £4m wages on Ash is actually £2.5m overspend, saving the £15m fee and we can do that next year whilst we break the bank to fix our midfield this year.

(I'm sure someone is going to crucify my numbers but that's roughly how i see it even if the numbers are wrong: more wages, less fees, saved money overall and we can spend next year whilst we fix midfield. In the mean time we get some experience and a potential coach)

Young isn't being brought in just as cover for Targett, he wouldn't be joining us in what could well be the last season of his career if that was the case, he'd go to either Watford or Burnley. He will play more often than not as a winger, could be argued that even now he will be the second best left winger at the club.

He's had one spell in his whole career playing as a full back in back four, and that was for Man Utd who could afford to have someone like him at full back knowing that they will dominate teams, we don't have that kind of luxury as we're not as good as Man Utd were when Young was playing for them.

He hasn't been playing as a full back for Inter Milan either, he's been playing as a wing-back, virtually as a winger in Conte's system.

Are there any concrete links yet? As all I see is Birmingham live in the sewers rubbish.

I'm still very sceptical on both if a deal is being done and how useful he would be to us. I think he'd be lucky to get a game.

Edited by Philosopher

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Are there any concrete links yet? As all I see is Birmingham live in the sewers rubbish.

I'm still very sceptical on both if a deal is being done and how useful he would be to us. I think he'd be lucky to get a game.

John Percy @ Telegraph reported it as close.

18 minutes ago, useless said:

He's had one spell in his whole career playing as a full back in back four, and that was for Man Utd who could afford to have someone like him at full back knowing that they will dominate teams, we don't have that kind of luxury as we're not as good as Man Utd were when Young was playing for them.

Not yet but wait until the end of the window and we will see ;)

10 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Balls! This would be pointless doesn't improve us one bit.

While I'm an advocate of buying to replace first teamers, i dont think you can say this doesnt improve us a bit.  He's obviously an upgrade to Taylor, which is improvement. 

If he was one of our main buys or only buys yes I agree.  He doesnt seem to push our FB's one bit, which is disappointing but if that means big money can be used elsewhere then great and we can revisit these areas next close season 

• Like 1

Let’s not forget aside from the full back bit that Trezeguet got minutes for us last year on the wing. I’d take a 36-year-old Young over Trezeguet every time. Even starting Grealish-Buendia-Traore behind Watkins he’d be alongside El Ghazi as our most likely attacking sub.

If we felt we needed two attacking mids, a starter and cover, and this signing for one of those allowed us to pay more for Buendia in the other while the kids have another season developing then I think it’s smart.

What was Inter offering? A six month contract and reserve team football? I am not sure why he would move from a side that has just won the scudetto in a league that is more generous to older players unless he has been clearly told that he would just be back up. He wants to keep playing that is why he left United to Inter 18 months ago.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

While I'm an advocate of buying to replace first teamers, i dont think you can say this doesnt improve us a bit.  He's obviously an upgrade to Taylor, which is improvement. 

If he was one of our main buys or only buys yes I agree.  He doesnt seem to push our FB's one bit, which is disappointing but if that means big money can be used elsewhere then great and we can revisit these areas next close season 

All I can say is Joleon Lescott!

• Haha 1

Â