Ashley Young

maqroll

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

fine, but surely you must agree that we had to buy a backup LB this summer, but that we needed to use our FFP headroom on more pressing positions such as a CM and another forward player/striker? would you really have preferred us to drop 20/25m on a new LB?

Upto 20 million I would be fine with. I feel that and a quality 6 or JWP (ideally both). This would see us have a first team capable of mixing it with any team in the league. A striker that can play wide and 10 would be the icing on the cake.

Italian football isn't the war of attrition it used to be back in the day (Sunday C4, ). The game whilst not as quick as premier League football is quicker than it used to do but physicality (strength, power, endurance) is on a par with the Premier League.

We sign him good, we don't sign him good. 

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Literally broke our transfer record a week ago. This post is **** gormless. 

Yes and I am very happy about the Buendia signing. He is perfect for us. This move smells of failures sign our preferred targets or simply don't have much more money to spend.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

One out the blue for me.....I think there are arguments for and against.

I trust these villa people now.....so my glass is half full.

I guess, his presence alone at BMH is inspriring, if he is still fit, he is a top talent on the flanks.

I would like to see the Pape Sarr deal done though.

I have a feeling, this astute bit of business, has been done, to cover non priority areas, while freeing up more funds for a move, such as that.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Yes and I am very happy about the Buendia signing. He is perfect for us. This move smells of failures sign our preferred targets or simply don't have much more money to spend.

You should probably change your user name.

We literally just had a 25 million pound bid turned down for an incredible young prospect from Arsenal, WTF are you on about?

This is after just breaking our transfer record, AGAIN.

Having money, doesn't mean you have to be stupid with it.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Your name is seeming pretty ironic right now.

EDIT: Jamaican-Villain got there before me!

Edited by Rolta
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think the issue is a gap between the 18's and the first team 25's.

Ashley will buy us some time, and raise the bar of winners around BMH, I think that is the essence of this deal.....The kids can learn from him.

This makes more sense then left back cover. If he is just in addition to a proper left back option. And more about adding a leader and a winner I can get behind that. I guess time will tell.

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

This is a strategic move imo......not part of the overall plan.

it could be quite prudent, I never seen this coming, shows that despite their general model, they can still deviate, when it makes sense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

By the looks of it we have 2 players in already,  we are bringing people in while other teams are trying work out a plan ,would you rather a return to the good old days o signing players all on deadline day? Thats what I would call failure to get preferred targets.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the issue is a gap between the 18's and the first team 25's.

Ashley will buy us some time, and raise the bar of winners around BMH, I think that is the essence of this deal.....The kids can learn from him.

This is exactly how I feel. Regardless of anything else, Ashley is clearly a pro, has played at the highest levels across a few teams and his attitude and professionalism alone will be something that the younger guys can learn from and be inspired by. He is a winner, pure and simple, you cant teach that but you can lead by example. He will also be a good squad player who we can rely on as the younger prospects gain experience and fill the gap until we can grow our own to bridge the gap between the prospects and the first team. He is not the same player he was when he left and thats the point - we would be recruiting him for a totally different reason this time around. 

I trust the recruitment team on this - whether he arrives or not.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Upto 20 million I would be fine with. I feel that and a quality 6 or JWP (ideally both). This would see us have a first team capable of mixing it with any team in the league. A striker that can play wide and 10 would be the icing on the cake.

I wouldn’t been as happy spending up to 20m on a left back this summer, I think we have more priority areas that need attention for the bulk of the money.  

If we had 200m to spend this summer, then yeah no worries but the rumours we are getting, is two main players and then others (obviously this maybe untrue).  Buendia being one, so I would’ve been disappointed if a left back was the other, I think we have other pressing needs and Young gets us across the line for another season and we hope our main fullbacks stay fit.

• Like 1

So we're signing him as a good influence on the training ground? May as well have kept Micah Richards, he was well liked by all accounts. 

We have plenty of good coaches, what we need is good young players, not a 36 year old. 

Don't like this one at all. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So we're signing him as a good influence on the training ground? May as well have kept Micah Richards, he was well liked by all accounts. 

We have plenty of good coaches, what we need is good young players, not a 36 year old. 

Don't like this one at all. 

Thing is we have clearly got really good young players in the youth team that probably aren't ready for this season.  Young could be a bridge between now and when the likes of Chrisene or Revan can make the step up. If you bring in a young signing instead then their pathway gets blocked.  Ultimately if Young is still able to bomb up and down the wing I'm OK with it. 

• Like 2

Â