Ashley Young

maqroll

He's one of those players that will probably still be very good going into his late thirties, anyone who watched Inter Milan last season will tell you that he doesn't play like a typical 35 year old, the way he moved around the pitch you'd think he was still in his twenties, that's why they wanted to keep him.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about this, but I'm not enthused either. I accept he covers several positions, and as there is a year or two gap before our youth are properly settled in, he'll add some depth.
I don't see him starting that often, unless the shit hits the fan. So... alright.

It doesn't cost us much and if it means we can go to town on another target, cool.
A million years ago, Ashley Young was fantastic player for us and left as our ambition did. I have no beef with him as a player or person at all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, macandally said:

Seems to go against the clubs buying policy, but Deano has earnt the right to continue his re-building job!

Fair to adjust this to “seems to go against what some people thought the clubs buying policy is”?

• Like 1

Oldest member of the squad by seven years. 

We were the youngest squad in the PL last year and just released our 3 oldest squad players. Don't see how this is a bad move considering we are currently lacking quite the experience. 

Plus he just won the Scudetto

• Like 2

to be honest, i think its a really shrewd bit of business.

A good utility player, who can play in multiple positions, could start the odd game, or offer a threat off the bench where he can put more energy in to a final 20-30 minutes.

It also gives us another year to develop our younger players, while not costing us anything other than wages and a signing on fee, it also means we have more money to spend elsewhere on key positions.

He has clearly looked after himself and seems to play more like a 30 year old than a 35 year old, and if it doesnt work out we havent really lost anything long term, if it does it will be a great piece of business.

Overall i cant really see a negative to this, also i dont see this going against our buying policies at all, for all the reasons above, it means we actually have more money to spend on youth/development players, and also allows our current youth to develop knowing there isnt a 25 year old on a 5 year contract ahead of them, he also offers high levels of experience etc, i think its a clever signing tbh.

Edited by MaVilla

Not particularly happy about this as I can’t stand him and will never forgive him for diving against us to win a penalty. Don’t begrudge his original move to Man Utd (who could) but just don’t like him.

That being said, emotion aside, it does make perfect sense as a back up and some senior experience around the club. He’s kinda done it all. 

Ultimately a shrewd move. Hope he can excel when called upon. Think fans need to calm down a bit about this “not in keeping” with our transfer policy. We can’t only sign £30m youngsters. Elmo and Taylor have been called upon for two years and they’re in their 30s - so this remains within the policy of having experienced back up to call upon. I’d rather have old but talented people happy to sit on the bench rather than young not-quality-enough-to-start-and-never-will-be players. 

But I’m still glad a bird shat in his mouth. 

• Haha 2

Going to be a bit weird for Jack.  He probably idolised Young when he was with us under the MON years and next season they could be playing alongside each other.

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

But I’m still glad a bird shat in his mouth. 

This moment erased any residual anger I had for him, it was a moment of weakness and I saw he’s still human. The story of football is not the wins or the losses, but the people you meet along the way.

That bird restored some faith in the game for me, and I welcome Ashley back with open arms.

Edited by a m ole
  • Haha 4

More than happy with this one, is he Ashley Young of 10 years ago flying down the wing, whipping in dangerous crosses time and time again, well of course not.

Will he provide us with a bit of experience to a young squad - yes, a winning mentality - yes, cover for full back/wing positions - yes, is he better than Elmo and Taylor (who he's effectively replacing) - yes.

Like others have alluded, if this was one of our main signings then I'd be worried but when we have just broke our transfer record on Buendia and putting bids in for Smith-Rowe I trust our club/NSWE/Deano with this one.

I think it could be a shrewd one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

This moment erased any residual anger I had for him, it was a moment of weakness and I saw he’s still human. The story of football is not the wins or the losses, but the people you meet along the way.

That bird restored some faith in the game for me, and I welcome Ashley back with open arms.

Maybe we can have a announcement video where he shakes hands with a seagull with a mouth full of shit and the hashtags #WelcomeHomeAshley #AllIsForgiven #TreacheryBecomesNullWithTheShitOfTheGull

• Haha 4

Â