Ashley Young

maqroll

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah, I’m sure he’s going to be a backup winger or to come on late in games. Wonder why he wants to sign… I assume he will be getting a decent wage especially if it’s just a 1 year deal…

Most of our players have at least 2 years of PL experience now. In Terry, we have ample experience, inspiration and guidance at the club in a way that he can relate to current players. I just don’t see the need.

I can’t imagine he’s going to play at fullback or do well there, he’s not defensively strong or adept and I would be concerned to see him line up there against the opposition in this league…

Has ever played at fullback? And even if he has, I doubt he’s been put under a massive amount of pressure due to the clubs he’s been playing for who have the majority of possession in nearly all games. Played as an attacking LWB at Inter.

I seem to remember him playing left back at Utd and I am sure he was playing there for England in the 2018 World Cup!

He has just played 44 games for Inter - the Italian League Champions - and scored 5 goals.  They wanted to extend his contract by a year but we have him for that year and an option for a second year.  He looks in pretty good shape as well ... I bet he doesn't drink coca cola!😉

What a signing as back up and I see him as a much better option of the bench than Trez or AEG.  I think this is a really smart piece of business and can't wait to see what he brings.  Plus, if we can get JWP in, he'll be licking his lips at the thought of Youngy and Jack winning free kicks!

I'd imagine the kids will be buzzing to see this experience and winning mentality walking through the door - most of the U-18's probably didn't realise that he used to play for us!😉

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What is written on VT generally has no relationship to what the majority of the fanbase actually say/feel/do. 

I've gone to Villa Park many times fearing what the atmosphere will be like / reception for certain individuals from reading multiple comments on here, but then Villa Park is utterly fine with it. 

I think it's a mixture of dicks and keyboard warriors attaching themselves to the site. 

How very, very dare you. To suggest that members of this esteemed electronic community are not fully aligned with the greater fan base cuts me to the core. Furthermore the suggestion that people here may be warriors of the keyboard and the keyboard only, is a slight on us all. You Sir are a bounder and I challenge you to a duel to the death. See you on the steps of The Holte in 10 minutes!!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Why are people so worried about this? He played 30+ games last season, won the league, is highly versatile and is on a free. Like what's the worry lads?

This

I don't really understand it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect everyone to automatically like it. BUt all this talk of being underwhelmed is a bit baffling.

If he was being signed as our big summer signing or a first choice player I'd be the same. I'd be incredibly underwhelmed. But he obviously isn't.

• Like 1

I think a lot of people are underestimating his experience. 

We want to get to that top 4 position. Well how many people at our club know what it take? John Terry is really the only one. I think bringing in someone who has achieved everything he has will have a real impact on the dressing room. 

This guy knows what the standards are like at United and Inter. I'm sure part of this deal is to help us in that way also.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

How very, very dare you. To suggest that members of this esteemed electronic community are not fully aligned with the greater fan base cuts me to the core. Furthermore the suggestion that people here may be warriors of the keyboard and the keyboard only, is a slight on us all. You Sir are a bounder and I challenge you to a duel to the death. See you on the steps of The Holte in 10 minutes!!

200.gif

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think a lot of people are underestimating his experience. 

We want to get to that top 4 position. Well how many people at our club know what it take? John Terry is really the only one. I think bringing in someone who has achieved everything he has will have a real impact on the dressing room. 

This guy knows what the standards are like at United and Inter. I'm sure part of this deal is to help us in that way also.

Inspiring Tim Tebow GIF by Home Free

I'm okay with this, I think we need a few more experienced heads in and around the squad.  He's versatile and offers a little bit of depth in more than one area if needed. Probably a smart move, especially with the view that he'll be replaced with one of the youth players stepping up to the squad 12 months from now. 

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So many miserable gits.  I'm really chuffed with this as both a squad option and the nostalgia factor.

Indeed.

Was one of my favourite players in my early days of supporting Villa. I'm loving this!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Personally I don't see a point to this, he may be free but his wage demands will be pretty high I presume. I also presume he would want to play at his age and would not be happy to just sit on the bench. I would have thought if experience is what we needed then a better option would have been to keep Elmo, or Neil Taylor who have been part of the club setup very recently. It doesn't fit with what has been our transfer strategy. If it happens then OK, I trust Dean and the team but I'm not sure it will happen.

image.png.3e0d947ce3085ebb6768de6094a1b310.png

15 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So many miserable gits.  I'm really chuffed with this as both a squad option and the nostalgia factor.

You'd think we just resigned Marlon Harewood for 12 mill, at 200k per week on a 6 year deal. lol

Â