Ashley Young

maqroll

Superb signing. Gives us great cover at both full back positions and a wise head in the dressing room.

Honestly think he has several years left in the tank. One of those who just hasn’t aged much, and has continued to develop his game.

Targett can be first choice LB again, but will take a few weeks to get back up to speed by the looks of things. Mistake from Smith to start him vs Watford.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

It isn't. Targett has to take it away from Young. The better one plays. That's how it should be.

Young has little sell-on value, Targett does. The better Targett does, the more Villa can turn an advantage from it.

12 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Young has little sell-on value, Targett does. The better Targett does, the more Villa can turn an advantage from it.

I know what you mean, but still I think we play the best player on the day on every position. If Targett cannot bump Young out of his way, then he's just not good enough.

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

I just think Targett has fitness issues. Highlights how professional Young is at 36 to be one of the fittest player at the start of the season. 

I agree. Unbelievable how well he’s kept his body in gear. I waxed lyrical about Targett last season but he was dreadful against Watford and he looked badly out of shape. 

This is what competition does. If you don’t perform, you’re out and it could be a while before you get in again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I think he did well today but do I really want to see a 36 year old right footed winger at left back a lot of the season. I don't.

I think it's very unbalanced and we lacked a lot of creativity and width in the final 3rd today. It's a new team with injuries and unfamiliarity so will come but I don't think he's going to be a good fit.

Targett for me should still be the man.

Our lack of creativity is due El Ghazi not Young and I’m a big fan of Targett by the way (even since his first season).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I think he did well today but do I really want to see a 36 year old right footed winger at left back a lot of the season. I don't.

I think it's very unbalanced and we lacked a lot of creativity and width in the final 3rd today. It's a new team with injuries and unfamiliarity so will come but I don't think he's going to be a good fit.

Targett for me should still be the man.

Ashley Young has been playing full back for 8/9 years, for the likes of Manchester United, Inter Milan, England and Aston Villa. He he won titles in England, Italy and Europe, captained Manchester United and played in a World Cup Semi-Final, all predominantly at left back. 

You might want to update your encyclopaedia. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ashley Young has been playing full back for 8/9 years, for the likes of Manchester United, Inter Milan, England and Aston Villa. He he won titles in England, Italy and Europe, captained Manchester United and played in a World Cup Semi-Final, all predominantly at left back. 

You might want to update your encyclopaedia. 

Yes, exactly. Think many Villa fans (understandably) see Young as this tricky winger because that's what he was when he left us, when the fact is he's changed his game completely.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I agree. Unbelievable how well he’s kept his body in gear. I waxed lyrical about Targett last season but he was dreadful against Watford and he looked badly out of shape. 

This is what competition does. If you don’t perform, you’re out and it could be a while before you get in again.

He was injured and in a protective boot after the Chelsea game according to Smith. Missed a week of preseason.

On 23/08/2021 at 00:30, Mantis said:

Yes, exactly. Think many Villa fans (understandably) see Young as this tricky winger because that's what he was when he left us, when the fact is he's changed his game completely.

I think people need to remember how they felt/looked 11 years ago and compare to what they are now, and they might understand it a bit more.

Its a lifetime ago.

Interesting quote from Shakespeare (our one, not the Bard) last night:

‘The young lads are a really good bunch. Ashley Young has come in from Inter Milan and is on their case - pushing them, making them tidy the dressing room. That’s great for them. Sometimes they [just] need a chance. If they’re good enough, they deserve an opportunity.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9923417/Barrow-0-6-Aston-Villa-Villans-coast-against-League-Two-underdogs.html

• Like 2

Giving this thread a well deserved bump. I think it's mental we're seeing a 36 year old Ashley Young play central midfield but he put in a brilliant shift today, really impressed. 

Have to say I've been well happy with this signing so far, stick him anywhere and he'll do a job for us when needed. 

• Like 4

I’d have given him motm. Thought he did really well, led by example, knew how to get decisions of the ref (who was a word removed), worked  extremely hard and was always in the right place. 
Don’t think he’s ever done cm before, but hats off to him.

33 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

And for his next trick he's starting Centre back against Chelsea. Cracking professional.

I reacted with a laugh but seriously I do think he'd actually do a decent job there if our injury crisis gets even worse. He's intelligent enough to do the role.

• Like 1

Â