Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I thought he did ok on Saturday, like the rest of the team.

I think he is going to play a big part this season, and if he wasn't then he wouldn't have been made Club Captain. He might not start every game, but I reckon he will start at least half, probably closer to 75%. I expect us to play two up front in some games and I think him and Gestede might form a very decent partnership, like he had with Carew a few years ago.

Bad news for the Gabby haters, he's here to stay, for this season at least.

Gabby was summed up in one moment during the second half yesterday.

Picks the ball up on the half way line, great run at the heart of Bournemouth's defence, it opens up and hits a woeful shot that bobbles through to the keeper.

Typical Gabby, he just doesn't deliver in front of goal enough to command a place in a Premier League side

Great run, opened the defence by running at it, did those step overs, yeah woeful shot, but if that's Gabby summed up, then play him every game. 

I didn't think that summed up Gabby by any stretch. The shot was unusually poor by his standards. Gabby is a decent player who has been playing in a god awful team for the past 4 years. While players like Darren Bent have floundered and been moved on, Gabby has been an ever-present in our team, and while we haven't had excellent managers, I do think they recognise that he gives defenders a headache and creates space for others. He MUST be doing something. 

• Like 1

You might then argue YLN, that Gabby was one of the reasons that team was bad.

Exactly this. Take away the Albion home game in the League and Sunderland away last season and can't think of much else he did.

He's been poor for 2/3 seasons now and think the main reason he's stuck around is because he's been here so long. The fact that he's Club Captain is odd. Don't really see the relevance of it.

Exactly this. Take away the Albion home game in the League and Sunderland away last season and can't think of much else he did.

He's been poor for 2/3 seasons now and think the main reason he's stuck around is because he's been here so long. The fact that he's Club Captain is odd. Don't really see the relevance of it.

They do a lot of the PR stuff, community work and the charity events. Makes sense to me, but he shouldn't be a starter anymore.

They do a lot of the PR stuff, community work and the charity events. Makes sense to me, but he shouldn't be a starter anymore.

I think Club Captain is more of a ceremonial title. Like the Queen of England or the Manager of Sunderland.

• Like 4

Yep same. It's off the pitch stuff.

I think it was an acknowledgement that gabby is the longest serving player and deserving of the captain's role in some capacity, whilst also acknowledging that he's not very good and not a certain starter so shouldn't actually have the armband.

• Like 1

Maybe a short term loan out to a Championship club would help reinvigorate him and give him the kick up the backside that he needs - although he did have an okay game on Saturday, but there is certainly still room for improvement.

I think we'll either see him out left with Gestede in the middle and Ayew on the right, or we'll see him and Gestede up front with Grealish in behind them. I think when he's fit, he'll start just about every game.

Assuming Geuye, Veretout and Westwood start, that leaves three more places to fill; either of those scenarios you've described there would mean either Grealish doesn't play or Ayew doesn't. I just can't see Tim dropping Grealish and will he really start leaving one of his new, multi million pound signings on the bench?

I'm more inclined to believe Gabby will only play depending on the fitness of others.

yeah, its just his shooting though, which is a major thing for a forward. That run he made when he just passes it back to the keeper, sums him up. As other have said, this is the one thing that has been lacking in his game his whole career and it just isn't going to change. Impact sub for Friday night, no more. 

Maybe a short term loan out to a Championship club would help reinvigorate him and give him the kick up the backside that he needs - although he did have an okay game on Saturday, but there is certainly still room for improvement.

I think that would be a career killer honestly. I genuinely couldn't see him scoring goals in the Championship...and that is what he would be judged on.

I was certainly impressed by the enthusiasm he showed when celebrating the goal... I think that shows he is taking the 'club' captain role seriously.

On another day if he'd had the sense of mind to lay the ball off to the top of goal square for say Sinclair, Gil, Grealish, Gueye etc to finish rather than shooting it could have been a magical passage of play, instead of the disappointment it ends up being with his tame effort.

You have to hope Sherwood and co can coach that sort of footballing sense into him, he is still only 28, he should be at his absolute peak now.

As many others say, he strength is running at defensives and opening them up, his weakness is poise / consistency / end product in front of goal...  

I think that would be a career killer honestly. I genuinely couldn't see him scoring goals in the Championship...and that is what he would be judged on.

I doubt if there is any way you could loan out the `club' captain. Doesn't make sense.

I was certainly impressed by the enthusiasm he showed when celebrating the goal... I think that shows he is taking the 'club' captain role seriously.

On another day if he'd had the sense of mind to lay the ball off to the top of goal square for say Sinclair, Gil, Grealish, Gueye etc to finish rather than shooting it could have been a magical passage of play, instead of the disappointment it ends up being with his tame effort.

You have to hope Sherwood and co can coach that sort of footballing sense into him, he is still only 28, he should be at his absolute peak now.

As many others say, he strength is running at defensives and opening them up, his weakness is poise / consistency / end product in front of goal...  

Yeah hopefully another day he'd choose to feint the shot and slip a through ball in, I think Gested could have got in behind the full back and on goal had he done that. Still though, I'm not disappointed with how he played. He can be an asset if used well.

He's absolutely banging them in for me on my PES season up there with Aguero. We're also in the top 4 after 15 games, I guess you can say it's an escape from reality :D . Go on Gabby, score 10 goals this season and blur the line between fantasy and reality.

I am guessing he will get a run in the team for 5-6 games while others are finding their feet and getting match fit (Ayew, Gestede, Gil, Grealish etc). If he hasn't done enough in these games, his place is rightly up for grabs.

I wouldn't mind seeing the team set up without him as he goes missing too many times, and goals per game ratio is dreadful, but with more competition, it could bring him back to his best.

TS won't be afraid to drop him though.

Â