Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I don't really blame him or the front 3 in the first half - they were all way too similar and it wasn't a good move by Sherwood to start them. We'll struggle massively to score goals if they all start regularly for us.

We literally didn't have anyone else. So I'm not entirely sure what he could have done? Also very early days, good to get Ayew minutes and to be fair, hard for Sherwood to really know what he has until watching them in a competitive match.

Thought Gabby was good second half seeing more if the ball. Have been generally impressed with him since Sherwood came in, think he has earned his place.

Yes we did, we had Kozak.

Ah yes.

So you think he was the answer?

I couldnt disagree about Gabby being an impact player more. Gabby is a guy you play for 90 minutes and use his pace to stretch defences and make the defenders worry and constantly keeping an eye on him as they know what can happen if he gets the wrong side of them. The most useful things Gabby contributes to the team are when he doesnt have the ball, not when he has it. Like above have said, he hasnt had the system to utilise him best for a few years. Playing him for a token 10 minutes isnt going to do anything. Either he starts or he shouldnt play.

• Like 1

agree Gabby is a full game impact player. He is hopeless coming off the bench. Along with Westwood probably our most divisive player and while inconsistent he can be dangerous on his day

Said it before ask any defender and he is the type of player they hate playing against

• Like 1

I don't really blame him or the front 3 in the first half - they were all way too similar and it wasn't a good move by Sherwood to start them. We'll struggle massively to score goals if they all start regularly for us.

We literally didn't have anyone else. So I'm not entirely sure what he could have done? Also very early days, good to get Ayew minutes and to be fair, hard for Sherwood to really know what he has until watching them in a competitive match.

Thought Gabby was good second half seeing more if the ball. Have been generally impressed with him since Sherwood came in, think he has earned his place.

Yes we did, we had Kozak.

Ah yes.

So you think he was the answer?

He may well have been but he didn't play, so we don't know. The point is, we had the option. 

Gabby did absolutely nothing during pre season and this game, and for anyone who says he creates space for others please pinpoint one moment during pre season or yesterday where his so called movement did that. That's a cop out,easy to say but with no substance at all.

Would I habe had kozac, who scored three goals got an assist in pre season and tracked back to? You bet I would,there's no doubt at all

• Like 3

Jamie Carragher (for once) summed it up for me. With Gabby, we know he's not the best striker or most skillful player, but Carragher said he's in the top 10 of players that all defenders, including himself, hate playing against. 

Naturally this requires Gabby to put in a shift, but keeping the opposition constantly on their toes is something that no stat can ever show. Same with Lennon. He may not be the best crosser of the ball, but he has the ability to never allow the opposition to rest. With players like this that command the attention of the opponents, it either forces them into a foul in a dangerous position, or allows space for a teammate to find.

If Gabby is fired up and motivated, then he'll chip in with a few goals for sure, but his contribution to the team could be great.

Could be, should be but for me he has never become the player he should be. Most other clubs would have cut their losses years ago. I think he has a role as an impact sub for us but not as a starter. He needs to be made to work for his place.

The simple fact he is a striker and I kinda think that that means he should score goals and he just does not and for that reason alone he does not justify his place in the team.

He has scored 73 goals in 308 appearances for us. For a striker that isn't a very good return. For a wide forward it is more than decent. It is interesting to compare his record to someone like Theo Walcott who like Gabby has played over half his games out wide but with the advantage of playing with much better players and for a much more attacking manager. In 208 games for Arsenal he has scored 50 goals so like Gabby has a record of just over a goal every 4 games.

Interesting point well made Mark. Not thought of it like that.

However I would still prefer another [new] player with more creativity/goals to be the default choice on match days. Gabby has a squad role, perhaps as back up for injuries and rotation, maybe not as impact sub, but we need an improvement in this position for the first 11.

Gabby did absolutely nothing during pre season and this game, and for anyone who says he creates space for others please pinpoint one moment during pre season or yesterday where his so called movement did that. That's a cop out,easy to say but with no substance at all.

Would I habe had kozac, who scored three goals got an assist in pre season and tracked back to? You bet I would,there's no doubt at all

thats why you are a poster and not a manager :)

Here here! Why oh why do people feel the need to apologise so much for one player. And to try and defend such a poor goal to game ratio is simply bewildering to me. I really can't see him featuring much this season ( fingers x ) and I feel he only started yesterday because Sherwood may have held reservations about a totally new attacking line up without any premier league experience between them.

• Like 1

Here here! Why oh why do people feel the need to apologise so much for one player. And to try and defend such a poor goal to game ratio is simply bewildering to me. I really can't see him featuring much this season ( fingers x ) and I feel he only started yesterday because Sherwood may have held reservations about a totally new attacking line up without any premier league experience between them.

yet Sherwood had such reservations that Gabby was the only one out of the 3 to finish the game

Gabby was summed up in one moment during the second half yesterday.

Picks the ball up on the half way line, great run at the heart of Bournemouth's defence, it opens up and hits a woeful shot that bobbles through to the keeper.

Typical Gabby, he just doesn't deliver in front of goal enough to command a place in a Premier League side

yet Sherwood had such reservations that Gabby was the only one out of the 3 to finish the game

Yes for the reason I mentioned earlier. Will he start against the Mancs now that Ruddy has got himself up and running? For me it's only a matter of time until he's benched. You see you can't keep delivering so little so often when you have genuine competition for your place.

Â