Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I honestly don't remember seeing him before he won that free kick just before half time.

Overall he was ok. He was involved in our most threatening moments (the goal aside). I thought his good run followed by his shot (which the commentator described as a back pass to their keeper) seemed to sum him up.

However, his pace does still cause panic.

the guy is luggage, honestly how he gets a starting spot is worrying. he has one asset and that is pace. Quality defenders know how to combat that. he did one nice bit of skill running at defence and moved the ball onto his left before the tamest of shots. We really need to move past gabby to progress.

• Like 1

I don't really blame him or the front 3 in the first half - they were all way too similar and it wasn't a good move by Sherwood to start them. We'll struggle massively to score goals if they all start regularly for us. 

I don't really blame him or the front 3 in the first half - they were all way too similar and it wasn't a good move by Sherwood to start them. We'll struggle massively to score goals if they all start regularly for us.

I agree. But I also think it was quite clear we went out in the first half to stop Bournemouth from playing, let their adrenaline burn off and keep the fans quiet. As soon as they got the ball everyone raced back to get into shape and we contained Bournemouth quite well. Second half we played a lot more direct and Gabby benefitted from that.
  • Like 1

I don't think he was particularly bad nor was he particularly good. He played as well as he does most weeks and still did very little but stretch the opposition's defence, which is why he's a good impact player and should be replaced in the starting XI with a player who has a more consistent end product.

We literally didn't have anyone else. So I'm not entirely sure what he could have done? Also very early days, good to get Ayew minutes and to be fair, hard for Sherwood to really know what he has until watching them in a competitive match.

Thought Gabby was good second half seeing more if the ball. Have been generally impressed with him since Sherwood came in, think he has earned his place.

• Like 1

They won't though, hence why we were talking to Adebayor and have signed Gestede. We'll play a bigger more traditional man up front in due course, it just came too early to start yesterday. 

Watching MotD last night the only thing I remember him doing was a great run in the second half where he went past about three players with sheer pace and them tamely rolled a 'shot' along the ground to the keeper. I though to myself..that's Gabby.

He got about 3 touches in the first half. Granted he was much better in the second half. Im not sure how people can say he had a good game.

That's the problem with gabby, it's not just what he is doing on the ball that is of benefit to us, if he's got decent movement (and by that I don't mean running round like a nutter, something which also confuses people) then he can stretch the defence, push them deeper, pull players wide, create gaps etc

If we've got nobody who can then utilise that space then it looks shit, if we can't get the ball to him it looks shit, but he's in there doing a job, I think if when we get Gil and Grealish back they'll thrive on what he does to a defensive line

Unfortunately too many of our own fans don't see it or understand it

• Like 2

I don't agree as such with him being an impact player, I also think he is dreadful out wide and completely wasted there. But as people have pointed out, he is too isolated as a lone striker. He can play only one position well, up front with a proper CF with him. His pace is amazing but he needs someone there with him to either knock on balls, or to take attention from him for a through ball to go through for him to run on to. I am confident that if he played up front with Gestede he would have a very good season.

Edited by 7392craig

You play to Gabby's strengths when he's fit - i.e knock it accurately into space behind the defender, stretch defences and give him some space to run in to with a target man flicking it on he can be a real threat as we saw in a couple of brief moments yesterday. The problem is we haven't done that consistently as a team since the O'Neill days and I'm not sure that is the type of football Sherwood is trying to develop, which doesn't leave much room for Gabby.

What people seem to have forgotten is that even during his 'glory' days, Gabby's best total was 13 goals and he always stopped performing after Christmas. Also that his best ever form came playing as a lone striker in 4-5-1, not alongside Carew.

The guy just isn't very good wherever he plays. Only sentimentality blinds many to the obvious. He never should've got a contract extention, we should've been saying goodbye to him this summer and he should've found his level in the lower-leagues now.

We literally didn't have anyone else. So I'm not entirely sure what he could have done? Also very early days, good to get Ayew minutes and to be fair, hard for Sherwood to really know what he has until watching them in a competitive match.

Thought Gabby was good second half seeing more if the ball. Have been generally impressed with him since Sherwood came in, think he has earned his place.

Yes we did, we had Kozak. 

Â