dudevillaisnice

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Yeah, they're a decent lot and it's a proper club, Everton. The ground though....I dunno. It's tired. Sure it has character, but a lot of the views are restricted, not just from the away section, but the whole Bullens & Gwladys lower in particular must have a heck of a lot of restricted view seats. And there's the pillars. And the concourse are is tatty and dilapidated and cramped. Of course it's still got that Old School atmosphere if their team's doing even half decent. But I can't say it's anywhere near to a favourite of mine. I'd miss it though, so I get your point.

I once went to Goodison and the Police threatened to kick me out if I didn’t sit down. I was on the end of the row so handed him my ticket and said I’d sit down if he could find my seat. Only it didn’t exist.

So trust me I know it’s nowhere near the best stadium but it’s one of the few left unchanged from my early away days. It’s run down but it just has a feel to it, it’s a real football ground unlike the soulless bowls of Boro and co.

As I said a favourite, nowhere near the best but one I’ll miss for sure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

it’s one of the few left unchanged from my early away days

It’s changed a fair bit from when I first went there.  The stand behind the goal, which is where away supporters used to get put, has been replaced. It’s dated. There’s much less, well no, terracing. It’s far less hostile, but yeah, old ground, tradition, feeling, good fans...I like Everton, apart from when we play them.

• Like 2

Ancelotti one of the best managers of all time, has had only half a season essentially, and Everton have some very capable players already.

We'll see but I would say they are going to have some very solid performances this season, whether they are consistent enough for top half or even Europe I don't know.

James Rodriguez is an absolute pearl of a player. You're only kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Solid contributor for both Real and Bayern in recent years, world class.

Misses the main part of one season after returning to Madrid and apparently he's a flop that's out of form, get a grip. 

Kroos, Casemiro, Hazard all in their prime, all world class, Modric two years after winning the Ballon d'Or still going strong, are seen to be better options given the setup.

That's no fault of James, and if you saw him play for Bayern, not only would you understand why they took him off Real's hands, but that Everton have got an absolute gem.

Could be a very good time to be an Everton supporter @Dixie

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

Everton are pretty much my second team, we're very similar in terms of history and stature too. It's just their recruitment and performance has been so disappointing recently you can't help but be weary about their transfers this year. Any other team and I probably wouldn't have that sneaky feeling that James is going to be a flop. Doucoure also very much flattered to deceive at Watford, and their fans seem to be happy to see the back of him. Unless he's being deployed as a #10 or an attacking #8, he'll let you down.

Really looking forward to seeing Rodriguez this season.  I remember having him in my WC fantasy football team for the 2014(?) World Cup - when he properly exploded onto the World stage.

It'll be (IMO) refreshing to see a genuinely World Class player playing outside of one of the top teams.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, penguin said:

Spurs were absolutely dire but Everton looked good, very strong midfield now. 

Saw enough just from that game that Allan is going to be an absolute beast for them.

It is Everton. Cant help but feel even with Carlo it will all go Pete Tong after the new year...or maybe even before.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like there is some negativity towards Barkley, and by extension us.

Wonder if there's any jealously watching Grealish stay and captain us despite a relegation, when all their best youth like Barkley and Rooney come through then leave.

Nah.  They just think Barkley is a dick for leaving in the way he did in the same way that a large section of Villa fans hate Fabian Delph, who of course is an Everton player these days. 

There are Villa fans who still hate Dwight Yorke  (22 years ago) and Steve Hodge (34 years ago) for similar reasons. I wouldn't worry about it at all, it's just tribalism. 

3 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Nah.  They just think Barkley is a dick for leaving in the way he did in the same way that a large section of Villa fans hate Fabian Delph, who of course is an Everton player these days. 

There are Villa fans who still hate Dwight Yorke  (22 years ago) and Steve Hodge (34 years ago) for similar reasons. I wouldn't worry about it at all, it's just tribalism. 

I don't hate Everton anymore because Delph plays for them though? That seems to be part of the message, that Villa are also bad stuff now.

Probably just modern twattishness.

Imagine facebook rage when Yorkie left, phwaor. 

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't hate Everton anymore because Delph plays for them though? 

That's entirely the point.  I've seen a few people on here and on other forms of social media saying that Everton fans hate us now because we've signed Ross Barkley.   You'll probably find a few Twitter trolls who are saying they do even if they don't actually mean it and I think the obvious point of comparison is Fabian Delph wearing an Everton shirt this very season.  He's a pantomime villain at most for us, I'm sure he'll get booed every time he returns to Villa Park (if fans are ever allowed back of course) but the club he plays for at the time are irrelevant, the beef is between Delph and the Villa fans. Same for Ross Barkley, the beef is between him and Evertonians. 

Â