Alan Hutton

Rich_D

I don't think he's garbage but almost definitely an indicator of what we have become, wasn't good enough for us when we signed him and he didn't get better however is now ok for our team, tells you everything you need to know, I will remember him at times being one of our better attacking players which in reality is **** terrible for us 

will also remember talking to him after the Stourport game and him being a very nice bloke who was a lot taller than he looks 

and he scored that goal vs the blues and kicked several baggies

Sure his rather generous contract helped him through those rough years

Bildresultat för wiping tears with money gif

I've nothing against him on a personal plan, I'm just glad I won't have to play "where's Hutton" anymore trying to find him when we are defending and he's nowhere to be found.

Other than the time he punched his dad in  the face he seem like a nice bloke and seem to like it here so good luck wherever he ends up.

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Working hard should be a given. I have no idea why people keeps bringing it up.

Weimann worked hard as well but he was still useless. You need the ability to back up your hard work.

Because its absolutely crucial.....but you are right too, its no good without ability as you quite rightly say.

Norwich showed that on Sunday, that's one of the reasons they finished where they did.....There is no substitute for working hard.

But fans have differing views what working hard entails....just idling running the channels for effect or "shadow boxing's equivalent in football, is not working hard for me.

Then you get the other bit....where teams have some players working hard and others aren't.....so the more players in a team that do, the more chance you have.....Norwich clearly have them all " at it".

but of course as you allude to....there are so many other factors to get right too.

Edited by TRO

I am happy to have another crack at defending him.

His skills are good.  The way he beats his man, his strength,  his very good interceptions, covering good, tackling could have been better admittedly. When other full backs five years his junior were knackered, he was still going. As an attacking style player sure he often gets caught up pitch, but so do a lot of good attacking full backs.

I always wish he would have cut in more, when he did he used his power to break their line then drill a ball into the box for someone to feed off or passing it to advance the attack. He was arguably most dangerous when he did that.

He is an intelligent player reads the game and well... master of the dark arts. I remember him being tackled very hard by a Bristol City player in last seasons 5-0 drubbing. Hutton was not pleased at that kind of treatment. A few minutes later Hutton had the ball with the same player moving in to cover him , he powered the ball at full stretch into the guys face and left him on the floor, the medics had to come on (he was fine, just embarrassed). Sometimes defenders need to demand respect and he could do that.

His attitude and commitment would have been impeccable for any era , for the one we have just had? Well, its been a nice bonus.

I wish him well and I have genuinely enjoyed watching him play. Not in any patronising "cult hero" way either, I genuinely see him as a bloody good player and remember many of his performances fondly. In a dark few years its been nice to be able to appreciate a player and look forward to seeing them play. If that all comes across as fan boyish, well sure. But if not here, where?

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 3

Its easy to like the guy.....there are many things I like about him.

However, He is suseptible to the ball behind him and quick wingers get much purchase on that.....That usually results in a cross and that creates a bunch of danger for us.

Its not the odd game either, he is consistently benevolent with space behind him....its almost as if, he wants to be a winger.

I think its time for a new one.....Best of Luck Alan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its easy to like the guy.....there are many things I like about him.

However, He is suseptible to the ball behind him and quick wingers get much purchase on that.....That usually results in a cross and that creates a bunch of danger for us.

Its not the odd game either, he is consistently benevolent with space behind him....its almost as if, he wants to be a winger.

I think its time for a new one.....Best of Luck Alan.

We have one there now.  Unfortunately it took nearly 2 years to spot it and i think DS stumbled upon it by accident. 

On 05/05/2019 at 16:37, wazzap24 said:

This is an understatement imo. 

I know he isn’t very good, but that bit in bold means more to me than anything else as far as Hutton is concerned

We’ve had some absolute charlatans here in the past decade, meanwhile this guy has battled for our club with everything he’s got. You can see how much playing for us means to him. 

Fans often talk about how they want players to work hard, give everything and actually care about the team/club - well Big Al did all of that in spades and deserves a bit more credit for it than he’s had from some of our fans. 

Nobody could say he’s been a great player for us, but he’s been a great servant. 

Bravo....I agree.

But the comments about his play are more observations than anything.

If a player is hard working and Loyal, that is a very noble trait.....but sadly,it's not a substitute for a flaw in his ability to defend.....He is a well committed defender, but struggles with his positional play and closing his man down. When he gets beat one on one,it  usually puts us in a dangerous position.

Edited by TRO

Thanks for everything Alan.

For working your arse off every time you pulled on our shirt, for standing by us when we got relegated and successive managers treated you like shite... For that goal against the Blues...

Thanks for all of that... and for so many years loyal service, I’d argue that you deserve a testimonial and maybe even a stab at doing coaching with us...

but I think it’s time we called it a day with regards to you being a member of our playing staff

• Like 3

On 06/05/2019 at 13:38, Xela said:

Hutton was been a very good servant to the club. In an era of having a huge amount of charlatans play for the club, at times it looked as though he was the only one who gave a shit. He was treated poorly by Lambert but has rarely, if at all, complained. He's just got his head down and played as well as he could. 

I won't miss his ability on the field but I will miss his attitude and drive. 

Thanks for your efforts Alan. 

Lambert was given directions on excluding Hutton from higher up and never had a personal issue with his fellow scotsman.  This is why Hutton does not have any hard feelings towards Lambert.

As soon as Lambert was able he brought Hutton back into the fold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The first goal was a classic example of why he will probably never play for us again. Where on earth was he?

He’s been a good servant that in most cases gave his best. Wish him all the best.

I think Onel Hernandez showed us what we need.

On 06/05/2019 at 04:06, Hornso said:

Thanks for the blood, sweat and tears Hutts (oh and that goal!), but I hope we don't see if you in the playoffs unless we're really desperate.

3-0 up vs Leeds i would throw him on to chase Bamford about 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NIVillan said:

Lambert was given directions on excluding Hutton from higher up and never had a personal issue with his fellow scotsman.  This is why Hutton does not have any hard feelings towards Lambert.

As soon as Lambert was able he brought Hutton back into the fold.

Lambert should have had more of a spine 

• Like 3

He was absolute garbage in the PL and I couldn't wait to see the back of him, but I think that generally he has been good in the Championship, it was definitely his level. This season has maybe been a season too far, but I think he was unlucky to have been injured at the time that we started playing like a cohesive unit - and no, I don't think his absence was the reason for us looking better. 

Â