Alan Hutton

Rich_D

We don’t have a quality right back at the club. But Elmo has been holding his own during our current run of good form. Hutton to me has looked a player way past his sell by date. No way should he get near this team again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Couldn't disagree more. Elmo is so shit at man marking it's unreal. Horrid defender. Hutton is a lot better, he just has flaws in terms of charging recklessly out of position creating imbalanced. 

I love this horrid defender!!

23 hours ago, sne said:

Not sure about the number of goals he was solely at fault for. Sure there a quite a few.

But by so often being out of position he helped stretch our defense creating space for the opponents to exploit.

The guy next to him had to cover huge areas while he was on one of his walkabouts up the pitch and then not following his guy back when his cross hit the first opponent.

I'm not disagreeing that he is often caught out of position, but I just don't think this was the main problem. Taylor was also miles out of position most of the time, and he has started looking much better since we settled on Whelan + Grealish in the middle. I imagine you'll see the same improvement if Hutton gets back in the team.

None of this is to say that Hutton is a great player who deserves to be in the starting 11, but I think it's a coincidence that we improved when he was injured. Mings and Grealish are much bigger factors.

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I'm not disagreeing that he is often caught out of position, but I just don't think this was the main problem. Taylor was also miles out of position most of the time, and he has started looking much better since we settled on Whelan + Grealish in the middle. I imagine you'll see the same improvement if Hutton gets back in the team.

None of this is to say that Hutton is a great player who deserves to be in the starting 11, but I think it's a coincidence that we improved when he was injured. Mings and Grealish are much bigger factors.

Obviously agree about this part.

As for Hutton he is helping our opponents more than us whenever he plays.

We are a worse team with him in it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It'll be sort of sad to see him go but it'll be a nice way for him to say goodbye to the home fans against Norwich if Deano gives him a start because it's unlikely he'll get to put on a Villa shirt again. 

Cheers Alan, thanks for the mixture of good and bad times (and for that goal against the scum!)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Taylor and Elmo have been playing decent - does not get back in the team for me

I think Smith will rest Elmo for the Norwich game and give Hutton one last game for us.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, daggy_333 said:

I think Smith will rest Elmo for the Norwich game and give Hutton one last game for us.

Hope not. Best to keep things sharp. If our players are rested, thats 13 days without a game. 6-7 days is plenty of rest for professional footballers.

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Hope not. Best to keep things sharp. If our players are rested, thats 13 days without a game. 6-7 days is plenty of rest for professional footballers.

Look how fresh McGinn was after his 2 match suspension. Elmo puts some mileage in during games. I think 13 days would do him good before one last push.

• Like 1

Â