Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Swaffham isn't nice in my experience, or at least it wasn't in 1988 when I lived there for a bit. Too many locals were always looking for fights with the RAF people. Bunch of inadequates in my experience.

Swaffham must be twinned with Doncaster then, same experience in 1988/89.

• Like 1

I recently came across sous vide cooking. which is boiling in a vacuum bag. Brilliant. left over roast beef on a monday night, put it in a ziplock bag for a few mins depending on how much there is, 

Then have a full roast dinner without burnt/overdone meat.

11 hours ago, Big Salad said:

I haven't been posting much the past few days because have been dealing with some personal issues with my oldest brother;  suffice it to say he has been going through some pretty severe financial hardship problems and was about to lose his house along with his job due to being late and/or underperforming at said job, etc. I am happy to say that I, along with some of my other family members, were able to raise enough money to catch his payments up and good for him his boss has given him another chance at work. Its all up to him now, to man up and don't let this happen again.

Just thankful that my family always comes together in times of crisis like this and hopefully my brother can get it together. I'll always be there for him but its on him now in the short term.

What does he do for a living? 

12 hours ago, Big Salad said:

I haven't been posting much the past few days because have been dealing with some personal issues with my oldest brother;  suffice it to say he has been going through some pretty severe financial hardship problems and was about to lose his house along with his job due to being late and/or underperforming at said job, etc. I am happy to say that I, along with some of my other family members, were able to raise enough money to catch his payments up and good for him his boss has given him another chance at work. Its all up to him now, to man up and don't let this happen again.

Just thankful that my family always comes together in times of crisis like this and hopefully my brother can get it together. I'll always be there for him but its on him now in the short term.

I know nothing else and don’t mean to pry but honestly, from my experience it sounds like something else is going on with him, is he struggling away internally without talking to people? Honestly, when someone has struggles mentally, the last piece of advice to give is ‘Man up’, if he isn’t coping mentally then the pressure of it all being on him now will just make it even harder for him. It’s a lot to assume from your post I know but he sounds like he needs more help than just financially.

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

What does he do for a living? 

IT support

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I know nothing else and don’t mean to pry but honestly, from my experience it sounds like something else is going on with him, is he struggling away internally without talking to people? Honestly, when someone has struggles mentally, the last piece of advice to give is ‘Man up’, if he isn’t coping mentally then the pressure of it all being on him now will just make it even harder for him. It’s a lot to assume from your post I know but he sounds like he needs more help than just financially.

Appreciate the response pal and no you're not prying. We told him if he needed to talk to somebody we would help faciliate that but he said he was fine. Really he has done this before(Granted been several years) and has always tended to not take things seriously. I am texting/calling him and checking in as often as I can to see if he needs anything. Actually just did Face Time him and he was at work and seemed to be in good spirits.

But yes I agree he needs more than just financial help to ensure this doesn't happen again and he knows we are here for him if he needs that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

IT support

he was at work and seemed to be in good spirits. 

That might be the first time I've ever seen those two things said together. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, BOF said:

It's 10 years ago this weekend (23rd) that we lost the man this thread is named after.  Patrick (Paddy) Ebbutt.

I thought it would be nice to mark this significant anniversary as a reminder to those of us who knew him through VT back in the day so you could spare him a thought, remember what a lovely guy he was and keep his memory alive.

Patrick-Ebbutt-007.jpg?width=620&quality

And for those who didn't know him, and for those who want to read it again, this is a little something his mother wrote some time after the event.

I love the effect naming threads has had. It really has kept those posters in my mind.

Jesus I can't believe it's been 10 years.

He was a great poster, RIP

Â