Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

55 minutes ago, bickster said:

So the island is that little bit of land in the middle of the old dock :crylaugh: 

looks more like a neighbourhood fued .. I'm fed up with those people from Barry coming over making love to my goat , I'll build a moat to stop them 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

So the island is that little bit of land in the middle of the old dock :crylaugh: 

It identifies as an island and you should respect that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It identifies as an island and you should respect that.

I really think it should use the restroom on the mainland :D 

Barry Island.png

26 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

looks more like a neighbourhood fued .. I'm fed up with those people from Barry coming over making love to my goat , I'll build a moat to stop them 

I must have given this anecdote a dozen times over the years, but just in case I haven’t, here’s the latest version:

We had ourselves a little gang on the island when we were kids, we definitely saw ourselves as a separate tribe. I sort of grew up, a couple of them didn’t. To the point where once they were old enough to have a car, they were once stopped by the police.

Police looked in the boot, and there were petrol bombs. What are these for, asks Mr Police. Now, if I had been there I’m pretty sure my answer would have been “what the bloody hell are they, who’s put them in my bloody car, someone’s going to get a slap for this!”

Jeff’s answer (we’ll call him Jeff, cos that’s his name) was “I was gonna bomb Butlins”.

I really think it should use the restroom on the mainland :D 

Barry Island.png

If I put an x somewhere on that map of my choosing, do you agree to stand there at high tide?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If I put an x somewhere on that map of my choosing, do you agree to stand there at high tide?

No chance, its the second highest tidal range in the world :D 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I must have given this anecdote a dozen times over the years, but just in case I haven’t, here’s the latest version:

We had ourselves a little gang on the island when we were kids, we definitely saw ourselves as a separate tribe. I sort of grew up, a couple of them didn’t. To the point where once they were old enough to have a car, they were once stopped by the police.

Police looked in the boot, and there were petrol bombs. What are these for, asks Mr Police. Now, if I had been there I’m pretty sure my answer would have been “what the bloody hell are they, who’s put them in my bloody car, someone’s going to get a slap for this!”

Jeff’s answer (we’ll call him Jeff, cos that’s his name) was “I was gonna bomb Butlins”.

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

No chance, its the second highest tidal range in the world :D 

You'll be OK. I can see you holding on. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You'll be OK. I can see you holding on. 

not if we play some  Beatles music and he has to stick his fingers in his ears 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

He’ll eventually wash up on Breen Sands to be met by some old fella in speedos and cowboy boots repeatedly shouting ‘Shithouse!’ at the clouds.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

He’ll eventually wash up on Breen Sands to be met by some old fella in speedos and cowboy boots repeatedly shouting ‘Shithouse!’ at the clouds.

*Brean, it's Brean :D

*Brean, it's Brean :D

It’s a Poundland Barry Island and I have never given it enough attention to spot the spelling.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s not really a bike riding area, bit hilly. To get to my street, they’d have to get up this street.

spacer.png

So they’re generally quite easy to spot as they are bright purple and loudly gasping for air.

I’m also on the refined west end of town and we tend not to order electric bike takeaways round these executive areas.

Also worth noting the photographic proof here that the island is an island.

Reminds me of this

0-Bread.webp

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Reminds me of this

0-Bread.webp

Very similar vibe, but then I guess its literally a similar thing, Victorian workers terraces placed on cheap uneven land close to the jobs on the water.

And all those ‘salt of the earth / he loved his mum’ scallywags.

I love the urban geography of places like Liverpool. Its always the same, the shittest housing is long gone, the poor housing is still there for the workers walking to the jobs at the ends os the streets. Then, as the land and the aspect improves the houses get larger, gardens appear, ornamentation, parks, wider roads, tree lined pavements for the managers and the council staff.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I was signalling, did you catch it?

IMG-0091.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Xela said:

Reminds me of this

0-Bread.webp

Those streets of terraces looking out over the Brunswick Dock in the Dingle are known as the Bread Streets to this day. Confuses a lot of people as they are all named after big posh mansions

That photo doesn't do the steepness of the roads justice either 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

My local team won’t the title a few weeks back , but got to see them life the trophy today and secure 100 points for the season in the process 

IMG_2082.jpeg

were they serving alcohol by any chance?

• Haha 1

Â