Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well if you must know it was a large photo of the companiy’sfounder who passed away a couple of months ago, which was being taken to the framers

Wow, so now he's not around to defend himself they're going to stitch him up? 

• Haha 4

On 28/10/2021 at 21:45, villa4europe said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-55416365

Its old but I just found out about this 

Biologists tracked 2 penguins in Melbourne, male and female, both of their partners died, they meet up on a night, cuddle each other and look at the city lights

The photos won an award

That's blown my mind... Even if its a load of bollocks the photos of 2 penguins hugging looking at the city lights is cool

11131498.webp

**** that's kinda beautiful 😢

On 28/10/2021 at 21:45, villa4europe said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-55416365

Its old but I just found out about this 

Biologists tracked 2 penguins in Melbourne, male and female, both of their partners died, they meet up on a night, cuddle each other and look at the city lights

The photos won an award

That's blown my mind... Even if its a load of bollocks the photos of 2 penguins hugging looking at the city lights is cool

11131498.webp

Fake news. That's a still from Happy Feet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I had a proper day off yesterday, hard leave, no sneaky peeps at the emails.

We went to the Zoo (Paignton), just the pair of us, in the middle of November on a school and work day. Paignton Zoo layout allows the animals space to bugger off out of sight, but because the place was so quiet, we had brilliant views of everything, tigers you can normally see off in the distance were right up against the fence watching us as much as we were watching them.

We did the Meet The Rhino’s Experience’ and it was excellent.

From arriving there parking about 1 minute’s walk from the entrance, no queues, no kids, staff on the desk were really nice AND they were expecting us.

Had a bit of a wander around then met up with the Keeper, had a bit of an introductory talk, a bit of a health n safety talk, then in to the back of house bit to have a look around and prep some rhino snacks. Then the main event, met the male rhino gave him some fruit and, as we’d been warned, he basically hung around for as long as the snacks lasted then buggered off. Female rhino was a different story, loves a chin tickle and a back scratch, so she hung around for ages.

I think we were about 30 mins ‘hands on’ with the rhino’s, probably 45 minutes in total. Everyone was lovely, great times were had.

The female rhino does not like the male rhino so there will be no romance any time soon. Keeper said this was understandable as most of the staff also thought he was a bit of a dickhead. 

Keeper struggled a little bit with some of my more technical questions on rhino eyesight, but I did manage to get the knowledge that their eyesight is crap, can’t see much more than movement and contrast, can’t hardly see something the size of a human 30 metres away. Primary senses are smell and hearing.

I did a feed the Penguins experience at Dudley. It was better than I could have imagined. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

If anyone sees a Red Panda experience that doesn't have a waiting list of about three years can they let me know (for the daughter)

Chengdu in China if you really really love your daughter :)  

I had a look as i'm taking a break from a boring set of data I'm working on  , probably all a bit far from you but 

Longleat has dates available in November and December , but the encounter looks a bit meh if I'm honest 

broxbourne  Zoo i've done this one before with the kids , but  and every single day is blocked out until  the 3rd May 2022  , has new owners now so don't know if the encounters are as full on as they used to 

Drusillas park also has some in Jan and feb ..

I did one with the kids at Bristol zoo but that wasn't great ... probably was from the pandas point of view but the kids weren't allowed to get too close , mind you they were about 6 and 8 at the time , its probbaly less restrictive for adults 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I had a look as i'm taking a break from a boring set of data I'm working on  , probably all a bit far from you but 

Longleat has dates available in November and December , but the encounter looks a bit meh if I'm honest 

broxbourne  Zoo i've done this one before with the kids , but  and every single day is blocked out until  the 3rd May 2022  , has new owners now so don't know if the encounters are as full on as they used to 

I did one with the kids at Bristol zoo but that wasn't great ... probably was from the pandas point of view but the kids weren't allowed to get too close , mind you there were about 6 and 8 at the time , its probbaly less restrictive for adults 

Ta, like I said, its for the daughter so Londonish ones are great

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I did a feed the Penguins experience at Dudley. It was better than I could have imagined. 

What did you feed the penguins to? The rhinos? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

What did you feed the penguins to? The rhinos? 

Don't be daft.  Rhino's are vegetarian. The Tigers however would happily tear them limb from limb. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Don't be daft.  Rhino's are vegetarian. The Tigers however would happily tear them limb from limb. 

Rhinos have poor eyesight remember. They might have mistook the penguins for slimy aubergines. 

Just now, Xela said:

Rhinos have poor eyesight remember. They might have mistook the penguins for slimy aubergines. 

Easily done.  I've done it myself from time to time. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I did one with the kids at Bristol zoo but that wasn't great ... probably was from the pandas point of view but the kids weren't allowed to get too close , mind you they were about 6 and 8 at the time , its probbaly less restrictive for adults 

Yep

But you could only see the red pandas not play with them

Doubt I'd recognise that place now, they were throwing an insane amount of money about with underground's etc they also had brilliant food, the hot pot where they just stew the meat in red hot chilli water and then the sichuan peppercorn has this strange quality where it numbs your mouth meaning the chilli is somewhat lost making it OK to eat, very unique and nice 

FB_IMG_1636832732968.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I’ve been there twice 

first time was in 2000 and we were were the only people in the sanctuary … as a result mrs h and I were allowed to sit on a bench and they brought a giant panda out and he sat on the bench between us munching on an apple …. Then we wandered into the red panda enclosure and could stroke , cuddle and feed the red pandas.

when I went back in 2017 , the place had thousands of visitors and people are kept a respectful distance away from the pandas… even the panda encounter I did was just getting you close enough to feed them some apple on a long stick , no contact allowed … as it should be really ( I can say this as I’ve done my contact :) )

the way China has invested in conservation  for the pandas is quite impressive 

0915FDD8-F6D8-4E78-8654-AB5AF80D1599.jpeg

27CC82BA-DD20-41DE-A396-5017AEAA3786.jpeg

You look a bit puffy eyed in that second picture. Didn't get much sleep the night before? 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You look a bit puffy eyed in that second picture. Didn't get much sleep the night before? 

Was 20 years ago , I’m probably close in shape to the panda now 

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

No, he pulped all the honey bees, put them on a plate with a load of dead herrings and chimpanzees, and fed that to the rhinos. Their favourite meal. 

Fish and chimps and mushy bees. 

True story but I’ve stood naked on a stage whilst someone told that joke … and it’s a bloody long joke in full format , more so when a few hundred people are looking at you … and let’s just say it doesn’t translate well to non native English speakers :)

Another one to chalk down to alcohol  

Â