Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

8 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Getting into the grad school of your choice starting this January(University of North Carolina at Greensboro); Master's of School Administration and then school principal here I come😃💪

The module on gunfights should be interesting. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The module on gunfights should be interesting. 

Blessed are the students that lay down their lives so that we can continue to protect our god given right to gun idolatory.

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Catch 22 for me because on holiday I obviously want to relax and do whatever I feel like in the given moment 

But at the same time the months of research, reading up, YouTube videos, talking to people, usually asking around on here etc and then planning it is part of what makes generates the buzz for me

And because I of course do those hours of research whilst at work makes it even better...

Edit - Im currently trying to pick a hotel for a holiday next year, got 3 with nothing in it really so I found YouTube videos of their breakfast buffet giving me a winner 😂 I enjoy that kind of stuff, that for me is part of a holiday 

When I used to plan my multi country trips I had to plan them with military precision to make them work … we’d pick a region we wanted to explore and then reverse engineer the trip around events … so for crossing the international date line on my 40th , we knew I had to turn 40 in New Zealand and then catch a flight to Samoa the next morning so I could land and be 39 again ….these were the only 2 countries that had flights that worked that would allow us so to do this … then it was ok Tonga has swimming with humpback whales and Fiji diving with tiger sharks so how do we get to those with flights that work around this event  oh and my mate wanted to watch Melbourne play in Aussie rules and I had a friend who had immigrated to Brisbane who I wanted to catchup with and meet her and her husband but they were going off to Africa to start a 2 year Doctors on call thing  so had a very limited window to add to the planning  .. that’s before we move into things like actual accommodation and their location and suitability and  the reviews .

Like you I kinda loved it , it used to take  hours of research , talking to people , checking websites … somehow it would all slot together ..even when our pickup took us to the land border crossing in Kyrgyzstan instead of the airport , resulting in  a mad scramble to the airport and making the one flight a week to our destination with about minutes  to spare !  

If it’s  a lads drinking holiday then we just go online and find the cheapest flights and hotel in the city centre  and book it in about 20 seconds … nothing more gets planned beyond that .. i don’t care if someone in Tripadvisor didn’t like the colour of the carpet or that they had the wrong variety of ketchup on the breakfast table .

I’ve not done a big trip for a few years now , writing this post has given my the urge to start planning another one !!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Xela said:

I used to like sitting out at night (under the heater!), just enjoying the silence and peacefulness. With the occasional noise from wildlife, including owls hooting. Just felt very chilled. Love that part of the country. 

9jsB2CJ.jpeg

Meet any of the locals ?

images (4).jpeg

• Like 1

On 23/10/2021 at 20:01, Xela said:

So, this was where I stopped in Norfolk. Pub called The Bedingfield Arms, in Oxborough. Between Swaffham and Downham Market. Lovely setting. Pub is the building in the middle. Church is to the right and the far right is Oxburgh (yes, different spelling) Hall, a moated house originally built for Sir Edmund Bedingfield. 

cIWOof8.jpeg

The food was great, the staff were excellent and the ales tasted good!. Went to the coast one one of the days (about 25 miles away) but it was a bit blustery, but still nice to see the ocean nonetheless. 

I used to like sitting out at night (under the heater!), just enjoying the silence and peacefulness. With the occasional noise from wildlife, including owls hooting. Just felt very chilled. Love that part of the country. 

9jsB2CJ.jpeg

Tell me about the beer you had. Anything else is window dressing. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Anthony said:

He talks about the ales but everyone knows he was actually drinking Carling Black Label. 

• Haha 2

Finally brainwashing myself into not letting the result of the Villa game ruin my day or weekend.

I've done it for far too long and the Dog Head game was the final straw.

It's not happening again. I had my rant after that, and now I'm done.

(Hopefully)

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Finally brainwashing myself into not letting the result of the Villa game ruin my day or weekend.

I've done it for far too long and the Dog Head game was the final straw.

It's not happening again. I had my rant after that, and now I'm done.

(Hopefully)

I’ve started on that this year, it’s good stuff is ignorance. I haven’t watched any highlights and I’ve spent no time reading into the details of why we lost. Just kinda got on with my weekend/week and enjoyed it. It’s much better that way. 

The only thing I’m struggling with is it feels a bit like the last time we were in the premier league. I watch the games but feel somewhat detached, apathetic I guess. Considering how invested I was in the championship to see us get promoted. Now we’ve done it, I’m not as bothered any more. Strange really but good that it doesn’t ruin your week anymore 👍🏻

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

The full list is on the Tipple thread on here, but in summary, circa 70% of my ale intake was Wherry

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

He talks about the ales but everyone knows he was actually drinking Carling Black Label. 

Alternated with Woodpecker cider

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Enjoy the good times. Ignore the bad ones! ;)

Thats the way to do it. The result is out of our control so why get worked up by it? Thats the view I try and take. I can get wound up a little bit still, but I don't dwell on it too long anymore. 

Exactly, all the glory with none of the fury. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

The only thing I’m struggling with is it feels a bit like the last time we were in the premier league. I watch the games but feel somewhat detached, apathetic I guess. Considering how invested I was in the championship to see us get promoted. Now we’ve done it, I’m not as bothered any more. Strange really but good that it doesn’t ruin your week anymore 👍🏻

Not wishing to go too On Topic, but yeah, I feel this. I went to most home games in the Championship, haven't been to one since we went up and don't imagine I would be able to get a ticket. I haven't fully found a way to get over it when we lose though; I'm very laid back - actually probably apathetic and lazy! - most of the time, but despite my best efforts I get a bit of a cob on after a poor performance.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve started on that this year, it’s good stuff is ignorance. I haven’t watched any highlights and I’ve spent no time reading into the details of why we lost. Just kinda got on with my weekend/week and enjoyed it. It’s much better that way. 

Maybe it's something I should give Steve Bruce credit for rather than criticising him... 

I was growing increasingly non fussed when we won and not being bothered by losing quickly followed 

Can at least celebrate the wins now though and let defeats slide, if anything this place winds me up more after a loss than the actual team does, need to stay off here for the night when we lose 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Maybe it's something I should give Steve Bruce credit for rather than criticising him... 

I was growing increasingly non fussed when we won and not being bothered by losing quickly followed 

Can at least celebrate the wins now though and let defeats slide, if anything this place winds me up more after a loss than the actual team does, need to stay off here for the night when we lose 

Probably true and a good idea for me too, the last bit.

I did get properly angry about Wolves and Arsenal, though. Which is daft, but I guess it means I still care. And I do want to care, I think. 

23 hours ago, Anthony said:

The pub @Xela went to, I'm pretty sure when I lived round that way a long time ago, it used to be great for posh totty on a Wednesday night. 

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

The pub @Xela went to, I'm pretty sure when I lived round that way a long time ago, it used to be great for posh totty on a Wednesday night. 

Did they employ any specific measures to keep all the women with extra fingers and hairy chins out on a Wednesday?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Did they employ any specific measures to keep all the women with extra fingers and hairy chins out on a Wednesday?

I dunno!  - whatever they did it worked.

• Like 1

Â