The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t, I think he’s a great player in the wrong team.  He’s at his best when let off the hook.  Pep is well known for for locking down exactly how to play and that doesn’t suit Jack.  As somebody said he would’ve flourished under Klopp but for me, from the moment he went to City, it was the wrong move.  Great player, wrong move and while he’ll win loads of trophies and gain large wealth he’ll not show the talent he has because he won’t be allowed to and may even regress.  With the likes of Foden and Alvarez around, he might find his time becoming more and more limited because they are better suited to Pep’s style.  Great player but a square peg in a round hole.

Nobody is doubting Grealish’s abilities - it feels like any tepid criticism we are back to the circular arguments. 

Grealish is a great player with deep flaws to his game that are massively exposed in City colours. It doesn’t invalidate the former. 

He will continue to struggle because the system doesn’t benefit nor play to his strengths. Nor does Pep have the confidence in him for someone of that cost. 

At many other clubs someone of that ability thrives - most clubs would build a team around him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Nobody is doubting Grealish’s abilities - it feels like any tepid criticism we are back to the circular arguments. 

Grealish is a great player with deep flaws to his game that are massively exposed in City colours. It doesn’t invalidate the former. 

He will continue to struggle because the system doesn’t benefit nor play to his strengths. Nor does Pep have the confidence in him for someone of that cost. 

At many other clubs someone of that ability thrives - most clubs would build a team around him. 

I think selling Sterling and Jesus was a big vote of confidence in Jack from Pep.  Signing Haaland suggests they will be slightly less tiki taka to me which should suit Jack but it will probably take time and even then he won't be able to play the same way he did for us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I am confident that Grealish will show his true quality for Man City this coming season.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hippo said:

I want to be entertained.

Bring him home.

Cascarino almost made it sound like the prospect of him ending up back here was almost a punishment or embarrassment lol

That alone almost makes me not want to have him back at any cost. lol

As if you can just chuck your leftovers back at us....

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think selling Sterling and Jesus was a big vote of confidence in Jack from Pep.  Signing Haaland suggests they will be slightly less tiki taka to me which should suit Jack but it will probably take time and even then he won't be able to play the same way he did for us.

Yep, everything about their recent transfers suggests Grealish is a key part of the plans for next season.

I think there’s a bit of wishful thinking sometimes from people (not just Villa fans) who don’t want him to succeed at City.

Mahrez was a very similar “off the cuff” wide playmaker at Leicester, and Pep turned him into a “system” player. Pep’s track record of making these signings work is pretty impressive, and he doesn’t seem to have these Zlatan / Eto’o type situations so often anymore where he freezes out a star signing.

Yeah I read what TS said at the weekend. In my opinion Cascarino can **** right off! He himself was a total waste of money for us, and him coming into the team derailed us on our run in for the title that year. He wasn’t good enough for us, we should have just kept playing Ian Olney, and Cascarino should have been left at Milwall the useless waste of skin.

• Like 1

People get caught up on social media hyperbole from fans who never actually go to games.

He is one of our best ever players, and one of the best players I've ever seen live. Even if he was "quiet" he occupied a full back and a midfielder as the opposition were scared to death of him.

He is a maverick and moving to a rigid City team was the complete wrong move. That doesn't make him a bad player, he backed himself to move "up a level" and it hasn't worked out (so far).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Cascarino was not only an appalling signing for Villa (and a record signing at the time) he's a complete tw@

Imagine if we'd actually got Sheringham then instead of that carthorse 🤦‍♂️

When Cascarino played for us our pitch was awful - devoid of grass down the middle. Up on the Holte many of us came to the conclusion that the lack of grass showed where Cascarino went grazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pas5898 said:

People get caught up on social media hyperbole from fans who never actually go to games.

He is one of our best ever players, and one of the best players I've ever seen live. Even if he was "quiet" he occupied a full back and a midfielder as the opposition were scared to death of him.

He is a maverick and moving to a rigid City team was the complete wrong move. That doesn't make him a bad player, he backed himself to move "up a level" and it hasn't worked out (so far).

Comfortably the best player I've seen at Villa.  Probably will be for some time, too.

• Like 1

Can't believe Villa "legend";) Antonio Cascarino has had the cheek to say on Talksh***  “At the end of the season, if he doesn’t pick up his standards, what we know he’s capable of and why they paid £100m for him, he’ll probably be loaned out or he might end up back at Villa. He’s not playing well enough consistently for Man City." Bit of an assumption there that "little old Villa" would take Citeh's cast off at the end of next season. Jack's got his league winners medal and his extra dosh, and I'm sure he's having sleepless nights about being a bench warmer at Citeh:rolleyes:. We may just have moved on by then, like Jack was so desperate to last season. I can see him perhaps coming back in his 30s and doing a bit of an Ashley Young off the bench for us, but he would have to be the one looking to return, because of his "unfinished business".

18 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Cascarino was not only an appalling signing for Villa (and a record signing at the time) he's a complete tw@

Imagine if we'd actually got Sheringham then instead of that carthorse 🤦‍♂️

A bit off topic but, on the way back from a match in the train, a few years ago my dad and I were chatting about the state of the team.  I can't even remember who was playing up front, but we were discussing how bad our strikers were, which led to a comment along the lines of, "at least they are not as bad as Tony Cascarino" and then a fairly lengthy discussion about if he would be in the all time worst villa 11.

To be fair we had decided he didn't quite make the team when I noticed he was in the seat infront of my dad.

Edited by Straggler
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Straggler said:

A bit off topic but, on the way back from a match in the train, a few years ago my dad and I were chatting about the state of the team.  I can't even remember who was playing up front, but we were discussing how bad our strikers were, which led to a comment along the lines of, "at least they are not as bad as Tony Cascarino" and then a fairly lengthy discussion about if he would be in the all time worst villa 11.

To be fair we had decided he didn't quite make the team when I noticed he was in the seat infront of my dad.

Dont go to Gillingham stadium as he is a hero there, they even have the Tony Cascarino suite that you can book for your wedding

Other club hero is Steve Bruce so hasnt been that successful a team to support

• Like 1

Â