The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

One of the big factors in all this is the attitude of NSWE. There’s no doubt that they could just say no, if they wanted to, provided there’s no contractual reason that they can’t. However they are astute businessmen who will look at this without the emotions that we have. Although they won’t undervalue that either. However they will have a value and a plan of what to do, either with or without Jack.

There are a huge amount of factors many of which we have discussed relentlessly on here. One factor I believe is stability. I think this is one of the things that they value quite highly. They’re not averse to change, but it has to be for good reason. I doubt they will be happy to go through this circus every 12 months, with such an important member of the squad. I know it comes with the territory but they will want a certain level of control and therefore stability as much as is possible in these type of circumstances. 

So I would conclude that they have more control of things than the media are reporting and are way ahead of the curve. If that means Jack has more or less signed a new contract or more or less is off, either way they won’t be working in the dark. The ultimate aim will be to put this to bed for the foreseeable future, whatever that may be. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

One of the big factors in all this is the attitude of NSWE. There’s no doubt that they could just say no, if they wanted to, provided there’s no contractual reason that they can’t. However they are astute businessmen who will look at this without the emotions that we have. Although they won’t undervalue that either. However they will have a value and a plan of what to do, either with or without Jack.

There are a huge amount of factors many of which we have discussed relentlessly on here. One factor I believe is stability. I think this is one of the things that they value quite highly. They’re not averse to change, but it has to be for good reason. I doubt they will be happy to go through this circus every 12 months, with such an important member of the squad. I know it comes with the territory but they will want a certain level of control and therefore stability as much as is possible in these type of circumstances. 

So I would conclude that they have more control of things than the media are reporting and are way ahead of the curve. If that means Jack has more or less signed a new contract or more or less is off, either way they won’t be working in the dark. The ultimate aim will be to put this to bed for the foreseeable future, whatever that may be. 

fair point and i think this summer, either way, is the last of the 'circus'. he stays, we don't qualify for europe, he goes without a fight. and that's fair. i think if he did sign a new deal there will be a cast iron release clause built in.

interesting point about control you speak of and it's got me thinking. whilst i don't believe necessarily the twitter ITK that indicated that the speeding up of our moves for Bailey and JWP was to convince Jack to stay, i do fear that we could bend over backwards a little too much. we've seen it already...why was jack given the captaincy when there were clearly better leaders in the team for example?

it's possible to give too much power to one player. is it worth keeping jack happy at risk of pissing off argubly just as important players such as ollie and martinez?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robbie09 said:

Just had a message that Jack is meeting with Dean in London at this moment. I have asked if anyone else is in attendance ie Purslow.

Seems today is crunch time.

Damn, Wes Eden’s gotta drive from Birmingham then 😉

3 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Just had a message that Jack is meeting with Dean in London at this moment. I have asked if anyone else is in attendance ie Purslow.

Seems today is crunch time.

Why London? 

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

fair point and i think this summer, either way, is the last of the 'circus'. he stays, we don't qualify for europe, he goes without a fight. and that's fair. i think if he did sign a new deal there will be a cast iron release clause built in.

interesting point about control you speak of and it's got me thinking. whilst i don't believe necessarily the twitter ITK that indicated that the speeding up of our moves for Bailey and JWP was to convince Jack to stay, i do fear that we could bend over backwards a little too much. we've seen it already...why was jack given the captaincy when there were clearly better leaders in the team for example?

it's possible to give too much power to one player. is it worth keeping jack happy at risk of pissing off argubly just as important players such as ollie and martinez?

Very good point in your last two paragraphs. I think a point could come when NSWE say, no, enough is enough. That point may already have been reached of course. 

3 hours ago, TS said:

I don't post here much but do post on r/avfc. Hopefully you can see by my account age that I'm not just on a wind up.

The Reddit ITK is pretty ttrustworty and after reading his posts today I've gone from thinking Jack is leaving to thinking he's staying.

Last year he posted about knowing Shakespeare's son and mentioned we were after Ross Barkley. I remember at the time thinking it was a bit of an odd thing to make up but didn't really believe it, until a week or two later when it came off. I hadn't seen a peep about Barkley except the poster on Reddit.

Since then he still posted regularly but doesn't drop anything 'ITK' this summer until mentioning JWP and Bailey a couple of days ago. Both had already been linked so it's not like he couldn't have made it up, but then we had the talk of a new JWP bid and the announcement of Bailey within a couple of days of the post.

Then he posts saying Grealish is doing an ESR. To me, him saying that Grealish is doing a Smith-Rowe is basically alluding to the fact that his agent is using City's bid to get a better contract from Villa, similar to how ESR used our bid to help negotiations.

Later in the day he said he had put some money on Jack staying and an hour or two after that pretty much said Grealish was staying without saying it. "Watch this space." That was the last thing he posted.

I'm guessing after what he said blew up and ended up on here and Twitter, he potentially got caught out or deleted his account out of caution.

But I believe he's being truthful. Whether his information is correct is a different thing, but it's made me optimistic and I thought I would add a little context as someone who's seen the guy posting on r/avfc for ages and saw first hand he was correct last year.

I love how this has 10 likes and 6 thanks but if you'd come on here and basically told us barron was a bullshitter you'd have been abused 😂

Seriously though, thanks for the info. And the fact that he's deleted his account makes me more confident he's not a bullshitter, if anything.

Just now, Follyfoot said:

What was the story behind that one? Was it his wife thought that Birmingham was near Liverpool🤣

The story was Villa Deal done, signed and everything. Then Everton, his boyhood club came in for him after the fact. He was gutted. He only went to West Ham in the first place to help Everton with a financial crisis.

Any story about his wife was utter rubbish.

I knew them quite well for a couple of years as our daughters were in the same class at school and were very freiendly. That was the only conversation about football I ever had with him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

But as has been discussed here, Jack is so much more than "just" a player. In my 40 years of following Villa we have not had such an exciting player that all league talk about and most of the world starts to know. I'd really hate to lose that side and revert back to discussing the good old days.

This is exactly how I feel.

Not only that but he is one of us.

Brought up in the same way,in the same area doing the same things.

It’s the end of a very short but enjoyable era if he goes…if he stays there are no limits with these owners.UTV

Edited by MarkLillis

Just found this artists impression of the Grealish negotiations, here we see the sneaky little Sicilian citeh rep holding Jack captive and our own Wes Edens in disguise. 

"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders" he bellowed,." Never trust a Sicilian when death is on the line"

Dum di dum dum

What will Wes do, who will win, will it be Wes and Villa...

Do you want to bet against us?

5_Vizzini_Buttercup_Westley3.jpg

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Cheers, keep us updated. I'm just going to take the dog out.

If its Grealish going through a table we'll know.

Dudley Death Drop | Wiki | Wrestling Amino

Dean Smith and Christian Purslow putting Grealish through the table after he refuses to sign a contract.

That's what WWE has taught me about how contract negotiations actually go down

Edit: Actually, if this was WWE there'd be 2 contracts on the table, one for Man City and one for Aston Villa. And Grealish eventually ends up either willingly or through deception signing the right contract. Either way, someone always gets put through the table 

15 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Haha 1

The main thing in football is to be motivated. You have to enjoy your football, to train, to run to put yourself in the media spotlight. I f Jack is still enjoying playing for villa, and he believes in the project, and villa will back him with a contract that equals to what he is worth then he will stay. 

I think I remember an old interview where his father said yes he is a villa fan and wants to play at villa but not at all costs. It has to be on a contract that reflects his worth.  I think a lot depends on if the club will pay it. 

The more I look at the FFP thread (see @Czarnikjak’s contributions) the more I think we can’t actually progress quickly as a club *without* selling one player for silly money. Otherwise, it’s youth + Moneyball until it all clicks into place.

Of course we could try and raise funds by cashing in on players like AEG, but in the end a £100m+ sale buys you 3 or 4 proven players at this level.

That’s not to say I’d like to see Jack be that player. He is the heartbeat of the club at the moment, and although we’re all trying to convince ourselves we’re happy to see him move on, it will be a massive shame.

But it does mean this rumour about significant numbers of big signings being made to keep Jack (beyond Bailey + Buendia) seems a bit unlikely. We don’t have much left to spend in this window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think there are many things we don't know surrounding this situation.....It seems Jack would have gone to Spurs or Man U if the circumstances were right....so are we trying to catch bubbles?

I also think the owners were smart from their perspective, in putting the onus on Jack for the final decision.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The more I look at the FFP thread (see @Czarnikjak’s contributions) the more I think we can’t actually progress quickly as a club *without* selling one player for silly money. Otherwise, it’s youth + Moneyball until it all clicks into place.

Of course we could try and raise funds by cashing in on players like AEG, but in the end a £100m+ sale buys you 3 or 4 proven players at this level.

That’s not to say I’d like to see Jack be that player. He is the heartbeat of the club at the moment, and although we’re all trying to convince ourselves we’re happy to see him move on, it will be a massive shame.

But it does mean this rumour about significant numbers of big signings being made to keep Jack (beyond Bailey + Buendia) seems a bit unlikely. We don’t have much left to spend in this window.

That’s assuming those calcs are correct, which I’m not.  Not saying he’s wrong but that he doesn’t have the complete picture as we are likely to buy and spend a lot more money this summer.

Â