The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The more I look at the FFP thread (see @Czarnikjak’s contributions) the more I think we can’t actually progress quickly as a club *without* selling one player for silly money. Otherwise, it’s youth + Moneyball until it all clicks into place.

Of course we could try and raise funds by cashing in on players like AEG, but in the end a £100m+ sale buys you 3 or 4 proven players at this level.

That’s not to say I’d like to see Jack be that player. He is the heartbeat of the club at the moment, and although we’re all trying to convince ourselves we’re happy to see him move on, it will be a massive shame.

But it does mean this rumour about significant numbers of big signings being made to keep Jack (beyond Bailey + Buendia) seems a bit unlikely. We don’t have much left to spend in this window.

Its not a case of convincing ourselves, its more a case of believing that every cloud has a silver lining....I do believe that.

I could writes reams of superlatives for Jack, but he is one player and you need 11 to make a team and possibly win things......Spurs have Had Harry and still not won things, they have had Bale and still not won things.

It''s teams that win things....In 1980/81/82.....we didn't have a player as good indiviually as Jack imo.....despite Gary Shaw and Tony Morely being the golden boys and pushing him close, but we had a TEAM.....We have seen recently, when opponents have doubled up on him, he can be negated.....so to insinuate, we are just kidding ourselves, to ease the pain is disingenuous imo.

I could be wrong of course, but I think, £100+ mill spent wisely can be a blessing in disguise....we have to wait and see.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Trying to catch up and still much ado about nothing

Correct, but I think that can only be a good thing. I’m still firmly of the belief that everything is in place for the move to City but Villa have the weekend to sit him down and sell the project again and throw money at him. 

Right now, it could go either way. 

• Like 1

This thread could never be accused of hyperbole. It’s Jack Grealish and not Pele. People saying that they have followed Villa all their life and he is the greatest player to pull on the Claret and Blue. Who fills out the top 3? Heskey and Curcic? 
You or at least some of you need to take a step back and look that players come and go, he isn’t McGrath, or Sid, he is merely the man currently that is your latest centrefold of Shoot magazine. Stay or leave, life will go on and next season you will have a new name on your shirt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

This thread could never be accused of hyperbole. It’s Jack Grealish and not Pele. People saying that they have followed Villa all their life and he is the greatest player to pull on the Claret and Blue. Who fills out the top 3? Heskey and Curcic? 
You or at least some of you need to take a step back and look that players come and go, he isn’t McGrath, or Sid, he is merely the man currently that is your latest centrefold of Shoot magazine. Stay or leave, life will go on and next season you will have a new name on your shirt. 

I remember McGrath and the later stint of Cowans. Daley and Platt were always two of my favourites....

I still think Grealish is Villa's best player in the modern era. His value not just as a player is another-level from days gone by for a number of reasons.

We have to move on from the Claret and blue spectacles of some of our former players too I believe.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Mcginn is his best mate and he still loves Villa. Don't think you can read too much into it 

he's been liking a lot of the others. just had a quick scan through. players posts jack liked yesterday: konsa, philogene, cash, ollie, el ghaz, mcginn

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I only saw the end of Sid’s career so can’t really comment on him. Grealish is easily the most talented player we’ve had in my time supporting Villa., over 40 years. The other players you mention played in better teams imo. I’m not sure either player would have had as much impact on the teams Grealish has played in. Obviously we will never know it’s just my opinion. Either way to dismiss Grealish the way you have is laughable, if you can’t see what he brings to the team, then I suggest you open your eyes!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

he's been liking a lot of the others. just had a quick scan through. players posts jack liked yesterday: konsa, philogene, cash, ollie, el ghaz, mcginn

My only fear is he's a bit thick and doesn't realise how this looks if he is leaving

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WHY said:

I only saw the end of Sid’s career so can’t really comment on him. Grealish is easily the most talented player we’ve had in my time supporting Villa., over 40 years. The other players you mention played in better teams imo. I’m not sure either player would have had as much impact on the teams Grealish has played in. Obviously we will never know it’s just my opinion. Either way to dismiss Grealish the way you have is laughable, if you can’t see what he brings to the team, then I suggest you open your eyes!

I must have a similar time frame for supporting Villa as you. I do remember Sid and a few from the early 80’s. I would agree with you about Jack. I don’t like to compare different generations as the pace of the game has changed so much, but Jack is easily up there with God, Platt, Cowans, Young, Milner and Yorke for me as our best players in my lifetime.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Why would you say he's a bit thick.

It's not like he doesn't know what an encyclopedia is.

I'm ok with that. Most kids his age or younger probably don't. It's Wikipedia for them. Try tell them back in the day there was door to door Wikipedia salesmen

My top three Villa players in my Villa supporting lifetime are McGrath, Yorke then Grealish. Jack has the potential to be the greatest, but not if he leaves now. He’s on the cusp of fulfilling his potential, and if he leads Villa to glory by winning something then he can take the top spot. But he won’t have that if he goes to City now.

10 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I must have a similar time frame for supporting Villa as you. I do remember Sid and a few from the early 80’s. I would agree with you about Jack. I don’t like to compare different generations as the pace of the game has changed so much, but Jack is easily up there with God, Platt, Cowans, Young, Milner and Yorke for me as our best players in my lifetime.

I was fortunate to play against Sid once, it wasn’t a serious game but he must have been in his late 40’s at the time. He controlled the game without breaking sweat. He sat in the centre circle pinging 40 yard balls to feet. It was honestly a joy to watch even if I couldn’t get anywhere near him 😁

Edited by WHY
  • Like 1

Â