The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

10 hours ago, darrenm said:

He seems to be a bit dulled down for England. Like he's going against his natural instincts to do exactly what he's told so Southgate can't say he's tactically poor.

Loads of those runs where he was trying to find someone else and held onto the ball for too long wouldn't happen for Villa because he'd have the freedom to make his own choice to try something risky or work a shot.

Also, being in the box for corners is stupid. Have him on the edge of the area like we do. He's most effective like that.

The 3-4-3 really didn't help tonight and the midfield 2 of Mount and Winks were pretty poor, Winks especially. 

That's been the story of England mercurial talents since the 90s.

It's because we keep hiring muppets 

Bit wary now the media hype is kicking in, he played well but motm? Not sure about that, Mount played well and so did McQuire but I suppose Jack has a creative edge about his play that stands out , the game seems to go into slow motion when he gets the ball.

Frightening thing is Jack still has plenty more to show and when he does the media hype is going into the stratosphere, just hope he keeps his feet on the ground,  the last English  player I saw with his potential was Gascoigne.  As for the Beckham comparisons, from a marketing point of view I can see it, as a footballer Jack's twice the player . UTV  

• Like 2

I spent most of the match watching Grealish, and dont think he had one of his better games.  Given I would normally watch wherever the ball is,  i was intrigued to see what he was doing off the ball. England offered the perfect opportunity to do that.

Have to say he was below his own par for this game. Whether because he's being instructed to operate the way he is, or he had an off day by his standards,  or because I paid him that much more attention than I normally do I'm not sure.

That said there weren't any other players that particularly stood out. A few nice moves that stood out by Sancho, Mount, and even Mings, but nothing particularly note worthy that drew attention away from Jack for any length of time.

So I can't argue with him getting given man of the match,  but he can offer so much more than he did in that game.  Its amazing to see the hyperbole surrounding this performance, to the extent it really feels like people just jumping on the bandwagon.  Is this what it feels like to others who know things before everyone else? Or am I now just hyper critical and expecting Jack to operate like a superstar 100% of the time, even in an unfamiliar team surrounded by players that don't offer as much movement as our own team does.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I spent most of the match watching Grealish, and dont think he had one of his better games.  Given I would normally watch wherever the ball is,  i was intrigued to see what he was doing off the ball. England offered the perfect opportunity to do that.

Have to say he was below his own par for this game. Whether because he's being instructed to operate the way he is, or he had an off day by his standards,  or because I paid him that much more attention than I normally do I'm not sure.

That said there weren't any other players that particularly stood out. A few nice moves that stood out by Sancho, Mount, and even Mings, but nothing particularly note worthy that drew attention away from Jack for any length of time.

So I can't argue with him getting given man of the match,  but he can offer so much more than he did in that game.  Its amazing to see the hyperbole surrounding this performance, to the extent it really feels like people just jumping on the bandwagon.  Is this what it feels like to others who know things before everyone else? Or am I now just hyper critical and expecting Jack to operate like a superstar 100% of the time, even in an unfamiliar team surrounded by players that don't offer as much movement as our own team does.

I know what you mean, I said last night it was just too easy a game.  Jack is better when he's got his blood pumping and there's something riding on the game, even though it was potentially a grudge match for him last night and he is having to prove himself to Southgate, the actual play just resulted in him roaming around a bit and providing some nice touches here and there.  Belgium might be different if he gets picked.

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I know what you mean, I said last night it was just too easy a game.  Jack is better when he's got his blood pumping and there's something riding on the game, even though it was potentially a grudge match for him last night and he is having to prove himself to Southgate, the actual play just resulted in him roaming around a bit and providing some nice touches here and there.  Belgium might be different if he gets picked.

if he started against Belgium, alongside Kane and Sterling I would probably back that front 3 to get a goal each. It would be so good to see, and a real test of how good they all are. On paper it looks exceptional. In practice, having never played with each other as a 3, and against one of the best teams in the world, it would be fun to find out.

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

d37ca4b503ee28ee2331f78a3b190bdcd7264a12

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

He comes across as such a likeable bloke, all the players seem to love him. Said it before, but he really could become the next Beckham. Just needs to get himself a pop star wife. 

With a permanent slapped arse look on her face. 

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I absolutely love to watch him play. He's become such a fantastic footballer it's hard to fathom. He's everything to me as a Villa fan right now.

It's also funny how his stature has risen, cause I talk to friends of mine in Norway and they normally don't give a feck about Villa or Villa players, but Grealish is talked about like they would normally talk about Messi and other world class players. He's already got the name so to speak. 

I was also reading a Manchester United forum last night (cause it was said in the England match thread it was funny reading). I kept reading it now and this one stuck out: 

"I just heard this guy is actually the favourite player of my 10-year old swedish nephew. It used to be Messi and Ronaldo. So there shouldn’t be any marketing issues going forward. I had to ask him twice. Are you sure? Grealish? Aston Villa?? But apparently it’s true."

Everyone are fawning about him now and rightly so. Lets move up the table and let him lift some trophies for us. It's been a long time coming. 

He's just passed 1m followers on Instabook. I bet he hits 2m in no time at all. 

2 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Pleased for him to get MOTM and its great to see that the rest of the footballing world has cottoned on to what we've been seeing for years. I actually thought he was pretty quiet last night and nowhere near his best, which just goes to show how good he really is on his day I suppose

Totally agree.  It was completely Grealish Light yet the press are fawning and MOTM everywhere. 

I think it's because he was on the ball SO much.  He was just constantly begging for it. If he plays a usual Villa game for England the world is going to explode. 

i have a feeling he wont make the euro squad.

I 100% think he should go to the euros, and thats a completely unbiased view, he is a mercurial talent and has something no other player has in the squad imo.

however......i have a feeling Southgate will find a way not to take him to the euros.

Edited by MaVilla

36 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Exactly this.

Jack creates space and makes everyone else better, plus he keeps the ball, which is so valuable when we're under pressure.
I think Southgate dug himself a hole over Jack - saying stuff for a quick, pithy response, rather than being considered.
The fact is, England are better with Jack in the team - others are faster, others will work harder, others are more clinical in front of goal - but no-one else can do what he does.

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i have a feeling he wont make the euro squad.

I 100% think he should go to the euros, and thats a completely unbiased view, he is a mercurial talent and has something no other player has in the squad imo.

however......i have a feeling Southgate will find a way not to take him to the euros.

a lot could happen between now and then but at the moment i think he sneaks in on the basis that there isnt an obvious 2nd choice RW

based on the old concept that you take 2 players for each position including a couple that can fit in to multiple positions and shapes we take sterling and rashford on the left and then sancho on the right with then greenwood and hudson odoi as the options as the 2nd RW which i personally think we are stronger on the left (how did that happen?) so we take a 3rd LW instead which means grealish, barnes and maybe just maybe southgate picking saka's flexibility and deciding he can cover the left freeing up another midfielder option - which just puts grealish in to that category instead

51 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Totally agree, only I'd add that he seemed very focused on his pressing (which I liked), and for Villa everyone looks for any opportunity to give him the ball, the England lads don't have that level of trust in him YET.

• Like 1

Says it all about how poor some of that England team is that Jack can have a game we'd deem poor /average  for Villa and still get MOTM

That he was rested after 60 mins suggests he starts over Sancho next game  ... but we will see 

Edited by tonyh29

13 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

He comes across as such a likeable bloke, all the players seem to love him. Said it before, but he really could become the next Beckham. Just needs to get himself a pop star wife. 

No he needs a Brum born wife who never want’s to leave Birmingham 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â