The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I think Jack has a unique style that you don’t see anywhere else at the moment. From what I’ve seen he seems to carry the ball and go past players like a certain George Best. I’m surprised that comparison hasn’t been made before (or I just missed it).

• Like 3

On 03/01/2020 at 19:41, villalad21 said:

The constant daily rumours linking him to Man Utd is pissing me off.

Why the f*** would he go there? They aren't even a CL club ffs

Well done @villalad21  Have your first ever like from me!

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Rodgers on Grealish

"I came away that day (2015) thinking, 'what a player that boy is'. You are playing at Wembley with about 90,000 and he really stood out," said Rodgers.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11903419/aston-villas-jack-grealish-a-fantastic-talent-says-brendan-rodgers

He'd be much more suited to Leicester than United. And would probably encourage Leicester to sell Maddison and go big bucks in bringing in Jack.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7860333/James-Maddison-Jack-Grealish-good-mates-set-big-audition.html

James Maddison and Jack Grealish may be close friends off the pitch, but they will have to put that aside as they go head-to-head in more ways than one at the King Power Stadium.

Their key battle will be one of the leading subplots in what is a crucial two-legged tie for both sides.

Brendan Rodgers is seeking his first major trophy in English football, and one that would mark a hugely successful start to his era at Leicester. Maddison has been a major part of a Foxes side that look set to gatecrash the top four this season and has earned his maiden senior cap for the England team.

Villa, meanwhile, are seeking a first major trophy since 1996, but have another goal in mind. In their first season back in the top flight in four years, it's survival that takes top priority.

But this individual head-to-head could have ramifications beyond this season for either player. Both look destined for big-money moves in the near future - and this two-legged semi final is the ideal audition for their undoubted talents.

A stellar performance from either player here could lead to a big bid from one of their suitors, possibly even in January.

The pair are friends, having grown up near each other and even holidayed together last summer. 

Maddison, 23, said earlier this season ahead of playing Grealish: 'Jack's a top player and he's the main threat. He dictates games and has taken on the responsibility of captain and the main man on his shoulders. 

'We grew up near each other, I was living in Coventry and he's a wonderful footballer as he's shown this year.

'People always compare us but let the pundits and the so-called geniuses get on with that.

'We just get on with our football and we're both in good form and loving life.'

Both are certainly in good form, despite the polarising fortunes of both Villa and Leicester. And there is little separating them in the key areas this season.

They have six league goals this season each - but with two more assists it's Grealish who leads their goal involvement battle.

He has either assisted or scored every 155 minutes, better than Maddison's rate of one every 187.

Grealish's shot-conversion rate is also superior, at nearly 15 per cent, compared to Maddison's 12.

He has created 52 chances, three more than his Leicester counterpart. His passing accuracy is better, and he has completed two more dribbles.

Grealish's low centre of gravity and twisting runs have won more fouls in the final third than Maddison, at 21 to 16.

But Maddison's energy off the ball has seem him win back possession in the final third 12 times, three times more than Grealish has done so.

There really is little to separate them, only the varying qualities of the players around them. Maddison has been a standout of the season for a Leicester side that at one point was flirting with a league title challenge.

Grealish, relegated with Villa back in 2016, has been playing the long game. He helped his boyhood club back into the Premier League through the play-offs at the second time of asking last season and is now the captain leading their bid for survival.

The onus is on him, and in recent weeks he has really come to the fore, particularly in the absence of John McGinn.

His years in the Championship have helped him hone his craft and build up his leadership credentials. At 24 he is surely ready for a big move, and he has certainly done enough to warrant it.

Spurs came close to signing Grealish in recent years, while Manchester United have emerged as potential suitors. The arrival of Jose Mourinho may have put paid to a move to Tottenham, for now.

At United, the seemingly inevitable departure of Paul Pogba may well open up a spot for Grealish. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side have lacked creativity, with much of their cutting edge coming from out wide and in forward areas.

They will surely find it easier to snare Grealish than Maddison, who is also being watched closely by most of the biggest Premier League clubs. 

Rodgers will be determined to prove to Maddison that he can fulfil his ambitions at the King Power Stadium. On Wednesday night he can take a big step in that direction.

Strolling around close to the halfway line tonight. I assume this is part of the no-striker thing and making sure he's as far up the pitch as possible just on the off chance he gets an opportunity to create something...

But it's kind of having the side affect of him looking frustrated and not allowing him to slow the game down (which we may need) 

1 hour ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Maddison is better?

The moment when he gets the ball on the touch line, and has 4 players around him, and he keeps the ball is absolute top quality.

It was interesting seeing them both together and in a game where maddison got a lot more of the ball and more influence

Maddison is an excellent player, he's great in tight spaces on the edge of the box, his vision, speed, crispness of passing, I think he suits Leicester and Jamie vardy, he does things that Jack can't do, he does things that a lot of English midfielders can do and he's the best at it

Jack can carry a ball, he can thread and weight a pass to perfection, he can sell a foul to anyone, he can drive from deep whilst running with the ball taking players on and most importantly drawing players to him, maddison can't do that, no current other English midfielder can

Southgate needs to find a way of getting them both in the team, and sterling and sancho... I don't think he's got the balls to play Henderson and maddison together as a 2, he plays rice vs the dreggs of europe

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Genie said:

I think Jack has a unique style that you don’t see anywhere else at the moment. From what I’ve seen he seems to carry the ball and go past players like a certain George Best. I’m surprised that comparison hasn’t been made before (or I just missed it).

I agree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It was interesting seeing them both together and in a game where maddison got a lot more of the ball and more influence

Maddison is an excellent player, he's great in tight spaces on the edge of the box, his vision, speed, crispness of passing, I think he suits Leicester and Jamie vardy, he does things that Jack can't do, he does things that a lot of English midfielders can do and he's the best at it

Jack can carry a ball, he can thread and weight a pass to perfection, he can sell a foul to anyone, he can drive from deep whilst running with the ball taking players on and most importantly drawing players to him, maddison can't do that, no current other English midfielder can

Southgate needs to find a way of getting them both in the team, and sterling and sancho... I don't think he's got the balls to play Henderson and maddison together as a 2, he plays rice vs the dreggs of europe

Southgate hasnt the balls to play Maddison or Grealish so don't expect either to start in the Euros. He will go for tried and tested Winks/Lallana type. 

Said it before but if England had Jack /Maddison/Sterling behind Kane it would be the best attack in the tournament 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Southgate hasnt the balls to play Maddison or Grealish so don't expect either to start in the Euros. He will go for tried and tested Winks/Lallana type. 

Said it before but if England had Jack /Maddison/Sterling behind Kane it would be the best attack in the tournament 

Why would he go for Lallana? 

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

All he does is fall over... 

The intelligence of what he's doing is incredible, no one can stop it, the most important thing he did for us in that 2nd half was win free kicks, relieve pressure

Except that one that led to their equaliser 😂

13 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

That pass from Luiz.... Dirty!

Grealish and Maddison should both be starting for England. They will compliment each other and I don’t mean hairstyles too. Brilliant young English players. Pleasure to watch them do their thing.

In style of the old Brazilian 4-4-2 where they didn’t have wingers they can both play the number 10 role like Rivaldo and Ronaldinho used to with Dunga and Sampoa as the defensive midfielders it could work. England can use Henderson and whoever else and have Jack and Maddison ahead of them with the full backs providing the width. 

• Like 1

Â