The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Football365 has a long piece about him today, it starts out funny but is a solid read overall.

Worth a read.

The rock star midfielder with floppy hair and skill to burn…

This week’s hero is a 24-year-old born in Birmingham, brought up in Solihull and who has played for Aston Villa since he was just six years old. An exciting, attacking midfielder who is tipped to get into the full England squad for the Euros this summer, he is currently trying, pretty much single-handedly, to keep Villa in the Premier League.

Lean, strong and more rangey than his 5’ 9” height would suggest, he is at least as famous for his hair, sporting – as he does – one of those modern sorts of arrangements that annoy some of the grown-ups. On Saturday in a vital win away at Burnley, his floppy tonsorial adornment looked as though it was made out of spun gold which had then been laminated. It appeared to operate on his head as a single unit, like a muffin top made out of greasy feathers. Other styles have included this strange creation, which does look like someone burst a cushion full of spaghetti

He has a very interesting accent and pronounces ‘music’ as ‘moosik’, as someone from Norfolk would do. Is that a Solihull thing?

He’s got a surname that sounds like a character from Mervyn Peake’s Gormenghast who would be in charge of oiling some large, creaking machinery which grinds stone in a land where the sun never shines.

But more seriously, Michael Cox has called him an ‘old school English number eight who can run a game’ and that says it right, I think. The fact he is repeatedly and persistently hacked down in every game is the indicator of his significance to Villa and of the danger he poses to the opposition.

There’s something of the rock star about the lad as he conducts himself in a good-humoured, shoulders-back, give-me-the-ball manner of a player who knows he might have to try and win this bloody game all on his own and just might be able to do it too.

A rock star midfielder with floppy hair and skill to burn? That’ll be Jack Grealish, then...

Claiming scoring the winner away to Birmingham was the greatest day of his life despite getting punched by a fan.

Top class peaky fookin blinder. Rolled down socks, massive calves, took a punch from a Bluenose idiot and then scored the winner, picked Eng over Ireland, makes time slow down, good as big fish in a little pond and will be amazing playing with better players.

https://www.football365.com/news/jack-grealish-rock-star-midfielder-with-floppy-hair-and-skill-to-burn

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

I'll be so sad when he leaves.

Football is so boring now.

Huge split between teams at the top and everyone else. Loads of teams will be going bust in the next decade. The whole league will be changing.

He reminds you why you watch.

Good chance I'll slip away from football in general when he goes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Huge split between teams at the top and everyone else. Loads of teams will be going bust in the next decade. The whole league will be changing.

When and if he leaves, I’ll enjoy watching him wherever he is, he is a joy to watch lookswise and abilitywise

• Haha 1

Purslow and the boys are desperate to keep him and can afford to. Like people have said if he goes it'll be for huge amount of money, Hopefully he don't force a move at the end of the season if we stay up (don't blame him if we go down), if not then maybe Purslow an the boys can convince him to stay, another season.

There is only one way Jack Grealish will stay with us.....is if we can sign players he feels comfortable playing with in other words nearly as good as him.

The players we are linked with this Window would make you run for the Hills.

Jack is too good for us and its up to Aston Villa to change that if they have any ambition at all.

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not the first time we have lost a superstar and won’t be the last. Be nice to be in a position where we can keep our best players. Will enjoy watching Grealish reach the heights his talent deserves. 

On 02/01/2020 at 22:56, Villaphan04 said:

Does he have much competition for the 10g/10a club this season? Looking at his stats and made me wonder

De bruyne obviously, jimenez, cantwell, buendia, Mane, William, ayoze perez and el ghazi if he can hit a good run of games. 

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair James Maddison is a better player. It won't go down well here but I think it's true.

I think Jack WILL be better, once he has another year at this level under his belt (and unfortunately probably after he moves to a better team).

But at this moment, Maddison is better, so i can understand why a pundit would say he's a better signing, even though I don't agree (again I think Jack would be a better signing because he has a higher ceiling)

Maddison is a quality player but he plays in a much better side. He is worse at dribbling, creating chances, getting goals (6/5) and assists (5/4). He is not as good as Jack is defensively. Doesn't win as many fouls. What am I missing here? To me he is only better at set piece delivery. Why does that make him a better signing especially when it is entirely possible for Jack to improve enormously at that over the summer like Neymar did when he signed for psg. 

• Like 2

Grealish is a better player than Maddison, has a much better all round game. Maddison is more of an highlights player, which isn't a bad thing when your highlights are as good as his, but Grealish as well having all the attention grabbing attributes like scoring goals, getting assists, winning set-pieces, driblling past players, good passing and so on, has qualities besides those, that Maddison doesn't possess, main one being that he's always involved in games, whereas Maddision can go missing and doesn't get involved as much. If you were to take JG out of our side and replace him with Maddison, Maddison would have nowhere near the same impact.

8 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Maddison is a quality player but he plays in a much better side. He is worse at dribbling, creating chances, getting goals (6/5) and assists (5/4). He is not as good as Jack is defensively. Doesn't win as many fouls. What am I missing here? To me he is only better at set piece delivery. Why does that make him a better signing especially when it is entirely possible for Jack to improve enormously at that over the summer like Neymar did when he signed for psg. 

I'm not sure there's much between them. You can point to goals / assists, but while Jack plays in a worse team, everything goes through him at Villa, so you could argue it's a bit like Zaha at Utd vs Zaha at Palace in terms of the weaker team actually boosting his stats.

Jack has more of the "X factor" in my opinion - he's a unique talent who plays the game in a very distinctive way, which unsettles opposition teams and is incredible to watch. But Maddison is a bit quicker and more dangerous off free kicks, long shots, etc., and is also a year younger.

I think most clubs (perhaps all clubs) would be happy signing either of them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I'm not sure there's much between them. You can point to goals / assists, but while Jack plays in a worse team, everything goes through him at Villa, so you could argue it's a bit like Zaha at Utd vs Zaha at Palace in terms of the weaker team actually boosting his stats.

Jack has more of the "X factor" in my opinion - he's a unique talent who plays the game in a very distinctive way, which unsettles opposition teams and is incredible to watch. But Maddison is a bit quicker and more dangerous off free kicks, long shots, etc., and is also a year younger.

I think most clubs (perhaps all clubs) would be happy signing either of them.

I love both players, they are top drawer !!!  Showing the Premier League how good young English players can be. I would not swap either one for Pogba !!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

There's not much between them, but I think Maddison is better, mainly solely due to the fact he's had a bit more experience at this level. He's a fantastic player. 

I didn't say Maddison was a better signing, I said Jack would be because he's got a higher ceiling. I just said right this second I think Maddison is slightly better.

I don't think it's very surprising that a pundit is suggesting Maddison over Grealish as a potential signing for United. even if you disagree with him (which I do), it's hardly a crazy suggestion.

The funny thing is they won't be signing either of them :) 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The funny thing is they won't be signing either of them :) 

This entitlement Man Utd fans feel they have to star players is baffling. They're the 3rd team in the north west. If any genuine Champions League contender comes in for Grealish, he won't go to United. They can **** right off.

Just had a look on Foxestalk and typed Grealish into the search engine, pretty much all posts are their fans saying that they should sign him, or stating what a good signing he'd be.

' BUY GREALISH!  watching MOD -he's spectacular.  When I have watched live games, he has been spectacular.  Possibly better than Maddison- I'd rather see them in the same Leicester team. .'

That's just one example from the 'How would you improve our team in January' thread.

Manchester United are still one of the biggest clubs in the world and will be a big attraction to players better than Grealish. Also Leicester will likely be in the champions league next season, but I bet Grealish would choose going to United over the in form ice kings.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair James Maddison is a better player. It won't go down well here but I think it's true.

I think Jack WILL be better, once he has another year at this level under his belt (and unfortunately probably after he moves to a better team).

But at this moment, Maddison is better, so i can understand why a pundit would say he's a better signing, even though I don't agree (again I think Jack would be a better signing because he has a higher ceiling)

I think both are fantastic players and both slightly different. Never quite get the need to get upset over opinions of who is better, even with Messi and Ronaldo, as you see some of the kids doing these days. Agree with you that I personally think Jack has a higher ceiling and also agree with your main point that I can understand a pundit saying it even though I love Jack more than my family ;) 

He’s a privilege to watch play. Those players don’t come around too often.

• Like 4

Â