The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

21 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Nope. Including them.

Ehh, Messi is pretty much untouchable. He can run through an entire team and curl it into the bottom corner and does that like 20 times a season. Have yet to see Jack do that even once.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Nope. Including them.

no one can touch messi, done it for so long, past so many players and he's fairly quick at it too once he gets going, jacks gliding style is reminiscent of it but same with pretty much everything messi is on another level all by himself, its the speed of his thought process and vision that sets him apart, the dribbling followed by the pass followed by the movement to get in a position to go again

its not hyperbole to compare them because I think jack genuinely has some of messi's traits and style but to suggest he's anywhere near him is a bit daft

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not sure he's that great at dribbling, but in terms of carrying the ball he's exceptional. Probably world class. 

the stattos at opta redefined it in the summer, its now called carries or take ons or something like that rather than a dribble, its classed as running with the ball further than 5m I think

Just now, villa4europe said:

the stattos at opta redefined it in the summer, its now called carries or take ons or something like that rather than a dribble, its classed as running with the ball further than 5m I think

You are probably right, I don't know much about how things are defined, but I remember growing up I was very very good at dribbling. I could by largely standing still shield and dribble off 3-4-5 guys before passing it, but I was absolutely awful at advancing with the ball. Something switched off in me when I tried doing it. My best friend was exceptional at this. He could use his balance and just drive forward, while shielding the ball. He didn't excell at fancy footwork, but his ability to just drive forward was something else. Anecdote over, but I just think ball carrying and dribbles are two seperate things. 

For me these are his best "World Class" attributes. Not many players with his combination of style and ability. Definitely an "X Factor" player and cant wait to see him in an England shirt!

Balance
Technique
Intelligence
Mentality
Strength

And his best skills...

Ball retention
Drawing fouls
Passing
Close control
Carrying the ball at pace

What do you think?

I`m really suprised as to how hard is to get him off the ball in a running duel without fouling him. Many a defender has tried to push him off the ball, to no luck. Kinda remind me of Rooney in that regard. His balance and strength on the ball is really world class. Wouldn`t bet him to push any big strong CB or ST off the ball, but i would always bet on him being able to withstand their push when he is on the ball himself. That is what makes him so great at ballcarrying. He often runs along the opposition with the ball, rather than dribble past them.

• Like 1

I think Jack's trick is that he moves the ball out of sync with his body, even as he's running at full speed, so it's really hard to time a tackle.

As he's sprinting, he sort of leaves the ball behind him slightly, and then drags it forward unexpectedly, just as the defender thinks he can nick it. The effect is to leave defenders flat footed behind him.

I'm trying to think of anyone else who does that in the same way. Zidane and Gazza were more sort of twisty dribblers, who did a lot of Cruyff turns, and used their upper body strength to shield the ball as they powered away. Probably their styles were designed for an era where fouls weren't given as much.

Jack definitely has a bit of the Chris Waddle about him. They both keep the ball right under them, and have very good touches.

(Good video, not sure about the music)

Anyway, no Jack isn't the best dribbler in the world (lol), but he's very good and has a unique, elegant style which will be a mainstay of YouTube compilations long after he's retired.

18 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Best dribbler in the world, who else agrees?

Nowhere near it - nowhere near being the best in the Premier League when it comes to dribbling, either.  Zaha, Mahrez, Son, Deulofeu... just to name a few.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Nowhere near it - nowhere near being the best in the Premier League when it comes to dribbling, either.  Zaha, Mahrez, Son, Deulofeu... just to name a few.

Behave yourself , All those players you mentioned are typical final 3rd trickster dribblers. Jack Dribbles all game anywhere and rarely loses it or gets fouled, His touches are so deft his close control is in a whole new universe of skill.

2 hours ago, supermon said:

What a player!

I saw this the other day.. Crazy thing is about these compo's, when you watch them you see other things he does that wasn't so noticeable at the time. The other thing that I love about Jack is the fact that you could literally make a compilation every game on his performance and it would be littered with moments like this. He's a seriously gifted footballer, beautiful to watch(As in Thierry Henry pretty) and fast becoming the PL pin up kid. Liverpool may go on to win the league and one of the other teams may lift a European trophy but the way this season is turning out there is no other English midfielder tearing it up like our boy at B6. 

The world is most definitely in his hands.  

Â