The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think Jack's trick is that he moves the ball out of sync with his body, even as he's running at full speed, so it's really hard to time a tackle.

As he's sprinting, he sort of leaves the ball behind him slightly, and then drags it forward unexpectedly, just as the defender thinks he can nick it. The effect is to leave defenders flat footed behind him.

I'm trying to think of anyone else who does that in the same way. Zidane and Gazza were more sort of twisty dribblers, who did a lot of Cruyff turns, and used their upper body strength to shield the ball as they powered away. Probably their styles were designed for an era where fouls weren't given as much.

Jack definitely has a bit of the Chris Waddle about him. They both keep the ball right under them, and have very good touches.

(Good video, not sure about the music)

Anyway, no Jack isn't the best dribbler in the world (lol), but he's very good and has a unique, elegant style which will be a mainstay of YouTube compilations long after he's retired.

Rui Costa is the nearest style wise to Jack I can think of. Waddle was class though.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Been watching Villa since 1968 and enjoyed watching Jack more than any other  player.

It is a genuine privilege to watch him play.

Great to hear. Would love to hear from other seasoned fans how he stands up to stars from years gone by.

The game has changed so much, what was played in 1982 hardly resembles football now. You could just kick anyone you wanted to get the ball off them! Hate think what butchers would have done to Jack back then, he'd have been Gary Shaw'd into retirement at 25.

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Great to hear. Would love to hear from other seasoned fans how he stands up to stars from years gone by.

The game has changed so much, what was played in 1982 hardly resembles football now. You could just kick anyone you wanted to get the ball off them! Hate think what butchers would have done to Jack back then, he'd have been Gary Shaw'd into retirement at 25.

He's getting near to Sid for sure. Definitely head and shoulders above any player of the last 30 years although Platt was a goal machine and Paul Merson sublime. 

I am confident if he stays he will become the best player of modern times which basically means best ever. 

He probably needs to win something to prove it which isn't strictly necessary to be the best, but legend status falls more easily onto the shoulders of players in teams winning cups and trophies. 

Edited by sidcow

On 08/01/2020 at 11:30, Genie said:

I think Jack has a unique style that you don’t see anywhere else at the moment. From what I’ve seen he seems to carry the ball and go past players like a certain George Best. I’m surprised that comparison hasn’t been made before (or I just missed it).

This is absolutely bang on. 

No one is saying Jack Grealish is better than George Best but yes.  I have been saying for ages that I've never seen a other player who does what his does how he does it. 

It's not pace and it's not (obvious) trickery or shoulder drops but he just glides past and through players.  You don't really know what he's done and watch it back in slow mo and he actually doesn't seem to do anything. 

There was a situation again Leicester when he was surrounded by about 5 Leicester players and just emerged through them with the ball, did a similar thing against Rotherham last year aslo. 

But it's the opposition players who also don't know how he does it which is why they resort almost accidentally to hacking him down. 

But you are right there is another player who ran with the ball like that and it is George Best. Let's hope Jack can continue to improve to those kind of levels. 

• Like 1

I'll be seriously angry if he went to Man Utd.

Not because he left us, but because he'd be selling himself short.

I know Utd are still a big club. But in 2020 they're not an elite club. And that's where Jack belongs.

Of course if he wants to stay away from the elite clubs by staying with us that's fine too :D 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I know Utd are still a big club. But in 2020 they're not an elite club. And that's where Jack belongs.

Of course if he wants to stay away from the elite clubs by staying with us that's fine too :D 

Possibly better for us if he were to go to a club of the standing of MU, because we’d hopefully have a sell on clause which makes us more money when Barca/Real/Bayern/PSG come in to take him off them 🙂 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

So would I considering he came out and stated Jack needed to be playing in the premier. SG would contradict everything he has said.

I'm starting to think he has something against Villa if he does have Phillips in and not Jack.

It's become a god damn joke with Southgate this has.

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I think Southgate is as desperate to see Grealish at United or City as Talksport are.

On 11/01/2020 at 09:40, sidcow said:

This is absolutely bang on. 

No one is saying Jack Grealish is better than George Best but yes.  I have been saying for ages that I've never seen a other player who does what his does how he does it. 

It's not pace and it's not (obvious) trickery or shoulder drops but he just glides past and through players.  You don't really know what he's done and watch it back in slow mo and he actually doesn't seem to do anything. 

There was a situation again Leicester when he was surrounded by about 5 Leicester players and just emerged through them with the ball, did a similar thing against Rotherham last year aslo. 

But it's the opposition players who also don't know how he does it which is why they resort almost accidentally to hacking him down. 

But you are right there is another player who ran with the ball like that and it is George Best. Let's hope Jack can continue to improve to those kind of levels. 

I'd say Jack is Iniesta's natural heir.  

6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

So would I considering he came out and stated Jack needed to be playing in the premier. SG would contradict everything he has said.

I'm starting to think he has something against Villa if he does have Phillips in and not Jack.

It's become a god damn joke with Southgate this has.

I swear Mason Mount got called up last season when on loan at Derby

On 11/01/2020 at 09:50, Stevo985 said:

He won't be going to Man U unless he does a complete 180.

Got a mate who works at Radio WM, when asked about Man U's interest Grealish said 'tell them to **** off i'm going nowhere'

• Thanks 1

Â