Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

22 hours ago, sidcow said:

I think its OK but too slow.

I mean I've seen the 3rd of 5 episodes and don't have a clue what the song might sound like. 

General annoyances:

1.  Poor Birmingham accents straying into scouse frequently 
  2. The Pantomime gangster. Just so  OTT and unnecessary. 
  3. His constant bad poetry. Not sure if that's the point but his songwriting is going to be amazing, but it's really irritating and they really should have got a better writer in on the poetry.
  4. The constant references to The Lulu's. Quite sickening 
  5. The constant references to the M6. It's actually weird. 
  6. Why is he constantly walking underneath the motorway going from seemingly nowhere to seemingly nowhere.  Did they not invent buses till after 1981 because that's how I got pretty much everywhere back then.
  7. He lives in Chelmsley Wood yet goes to college in Handsworth (as does his femal skinhead friend) along with another girl who lives in Sutton Coldfield. That Handsworth college must have been one hell of a draw. 
  8. Why does his Coventry cousin speak in a Birmingham (ish) accent? He seems to have lived in Coventry his whole life as far as I can tell. 
  9. A lot of the music featured and referenced is not contemporary which I find odd.  It was the premise of the show that was kind of advertised. 

Other than that it's OK.  Just a very odd show. 

Confirms my suspicions that it’s shite, I’ll be watching something more worthwhile.

Watching the season of Portillo's railway journeys where he visits the places of "His Youth." The part where he says, "I'm a Bloomer," at first I thought I heard a " Freudian slip". 

Edited by sheepyvillian

On 07/04/2024 at 16:20, sidcow said:

I think its OK but too slow.

I mean I've seen the 3rd of 5 episodes and don't have a clue what the song might sound like. 

General annoyances:

1.  Poor Birmingham accents straying into scouse frequently 
  2. The Pantomime gangster. Just so  OTT and unnecessary. 
  3. His constant bad poetry. Not sure if that's the point but his songwriting is going to be amazing, but it's really irritating and they really should have got a better writer in on the poetry.
  4. The constant references to The Lulu's. Quite sickening 
  5. The constant references to the M6. It's actually weird. 
  6. Why is he constantly walking underneath the motorway going from seemingly nowhere to seemingly nowhere.  Did they not invent buses till after 1981 because that's how I got pretty much everywhere back then.
  7. He lives in Chelmsley Wood yet goes to college in Handsworth (as does his femal skinhead friend) along with another girl who lives in Sutton Coldfield. That Handsworth college must have been one hell of a draw. 
  8. Why does his Coventry cousin speak in a Birmingham (ish) accent? He seems to have lived in Coventry his whole life as far as I can tell. 
  9. A lot of the music featured and referenced is not contemporary which I find odd.  It was the premise of the show that was kind of advertised. 

Other than that it's OK.  Just a very odd show. 

Thanks for the summary but i'm not going to waste my time watching anything that references that rabble down the road.....

i'd rather watch this than anything to do with them

mate

8 hours ago, imavillan said:

Thanks for the summary but i'm not going to waste my time watching anything that references that rabble down the road.....

Weird behaviour.

FWIW the show is really decent imo and as for the lead I think he's supposed to be wooden, I'm pretty sure he's emotionally autistic.

• Haha 1

it's a lot slower moving than i thought it would be and 2 episodes in, i thought it would be much more about music of that era. i'll continue with it, but it's a little disappointing so far

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Weird behaviour.

not really.....if there are things in life you don't like, and i hate that rabble, you don't have to put yourself through having to go through it.....

• Like 2

On 03/04/2024 at 22:30, Follyfoot said:

And monkey

On 04/04/2024 at 07:00, Rds1983 said:

They remade Monkey a few year's ago. Think there's 2 seasons on Netflix. 

On 04/04/2024 at 12:46, theboyangel said:

It’s awful and not worth it sadly

I'd say it's pretty awful and only worth it in a "this is an Aussie show for kids but my love for Monkey is strong and I'll still watch it" type of way. A far cry from the amazingly mental 70's one though.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I'd say it's pretty awful and only worth it in a "this is an Aussie show for kids but my love for Monkey is strong and I'll still watch it" type of way. A far cry from the amazingly mental 70's one though.

Fair assessment. 

My wife bought me the book for Christmas, not sure I'm up for reading it though as doubt it will have the same levels of charm.

One of my favourite ever bits of TV is where in response to someone (possibly Tripitaka) being incredibly sad, Monkey convinces Pigsy to cheer them up by doing his little dance. Pigsy starts dancing like an idiot, everyone stares at him like an idiot and Monkey falls over laughing. 

Wish I could find that clip.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Fair assessment. 

My wife bought me the book for Christmas, not sure I'm up for reading it though as doubt it will have the same levels of charm.

One of my favourite ever bits of TV is where in response to someone (possibly Tripitaka) being incredibly sad, Monkey convinces Pigsy to cheer them up by doing his little dance. Pigsy starts dancing like an idiot, everyone stares at him like an idiot and Monkey falls over laughing. 

Wish I could find that clip.

My mum always remebers it fondly because of basically how bonkers me and my brother would go, over excitedly jumping all over the sofa and all that, trying to do flying kicks n that, calling our own cloud :D

I have very scratched, obviously a kenneth, but much loved 7" BBC single amongst the 7"'s. Gandara on the b side plays just fine. Born from an egg... not so much anymore

• Like 1

Just over half way through 3 Body Problem and...

Spoiler

Wow, that Panama Canal ship destruction scene was something else. Absolutely horrifying.

Also, kind of a bit of a crazy plan really, although apparently it was explained in the book why they decided on such a totally out-there strategy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Anyone started Ripley? I've been looking forward to it for a while and really hoping it doesn't disappoint. 

It's very good, he's one hell of a character and the scenes are beautifully shot. 

• Thanks 1

On 18/03/2024 at 13:09, mjmooney said:

The series (and indeed, Clavell's excellent novel) are based on the true story of William Adams. His story is well worth a read. 

imageresize.jpeg

Just wanted to jump in and say cheers for this book recommendation.

Bought and read and it really is an excellent book that is also massively contributing to my enjoyment of shogun.

So, nice one fella 👍

• Like 2

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Shogun continues to be the best thing on TV 

So looking forward to watching it tonight - gutted there’s only 3 episodes to go (for me!)

it’s been phenomenal viewing 

27 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

So looking forward to watching it tonight - gutted there’s only 3 episodes to go (for me!)

it’s been phenomenal viewing 

I am becoming increasingly pissed off with the modern trend for filming half a story, and then having to wait a year or more for the rest of it, always assuming it doesn't get cancelled on the whim of some bean counter. 

• Like 2

Â