Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Ripley was OK but, spoiler alert

Reveal hidden contents

Why didn't anyone look at a photo for a missing person, it got ridiculous. 

Yeah, there were some ridiculous scenes.

His utterly unconvincing 'disguise', and the fact that he made no attempt to try and change his (very distinctive) way of speaking. Then again, maybe the Italian plod really were that dim. 

:) 

But it was all about the cinematography for me. Fantastic homage to Hitchcock and Fellini (plus that one 'blink and you'll miss it' nod to Spielberg). 

• Like 1

Watched season 5 of Fargo and it was a real return to form, did everything I want Fargo to do.

So, considering that season 4 had left me a bit meh and I hadn’t made it past the first couple, I’ve given it another go.

It’s ok, perhaps on its own I’d even think it was good. But lined up against everything else branded Fargo, it’s the poor relation.

• Like 1

Thought I would have a bit of Breaking Bad for my pre - match entertainment. 

Hank, "You ever smoke anything else, Wendy, sausages don't count?" The little laugh by Hank until he realises he's supposed to be moralizing Walt Jr.

Without doubt, up there with the very best.

27 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Whilst rewatching Shogun I wonder if somebody could try and explain to me the reasons 

Hide contents

Why did Yabushige rescue Blackthorne in the Forest?

Iirc

Spoiler

Ishido and Yabushige discuss the Anjin being useful long term as he is a tool that can be used to undermine the Jesuits and their pet lords, and would be helpful to Ishido once his immediate threat, Torunaga, is dealt with. Yabushige, who is attempting to play everyone with a view to improving his lot anyway he can, intervenes to rescue him as he can play it as a win to either side - Torunaga wants Blackthorne as much as Ishido would so he can play both sides by intervening.

The show doesn't make this pointedly clear but the scenes with Ishido in the episode make it obvious that eventually he's going to be in conflict with the Christians and he will benefit from anything that helps oppose them, and his discussion with Yabushige has the undercurrent of someone being very careful to not say certain things whilst being clear what he means.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Iirc

Hide contents

Ishido and Yabushige discuss the Anjin being useful long term as he is a tool that can be used to undermine the Jesuits and their pet lords, and would be helpful to Ishido once his immediate threat, Torunaga, is dealt with. Yabushige, who is attempting to play everyone with a view to improving his lot anyway he can, intervenes to rescue him as he can play it as a win to either side - Torunaga wants Blackthorne as much as Ishido would so he can play both sides by intervening.

The show doesn't make this pointedly clear but the scenes with Ishido in the episode make it obvious that eventually he's going to be in conflict with the Christians and he will benefit from anything that helps oppose them, and his discussion with Yabushige has the undercurrent of someone being very careful to not say certain things whilst being clear what he means.

It helps somewhat. I'm guessing, but I would imagine the book conveys a greater clarity to such scenarios. That's not to undermine the series, I thought it up there with the best of shows.

I think the book has to be a must - read for me.

Once again, appreciate the interpretation. 

I don't come in to this thread very often and must confess I hadn't heard that there was a Shogun series that had been made (or of anyone that's seen it) - from the reviews here it sounds like it's fantastic - is there any likelihood of it being re-broadcast on the type of channels where people actually see stuff? Seems a shame for it to be hidden away.

Actually one slight criticism of Ripley, would be Scott's performance (which of course may have been under instruction from the director) - his demeanour varied from bland to shifty to downright reptilian. Whereas you would expect a successful con artist to be able to disarm people by being a lot more charming and persuasive. 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't come in to this thread very often and must confess I hadn't heard that there was a Shogun series that had been made (or of anyone that's seen it) - from the reviews here it sounds like it's fantastic - is there any likelihood of it being re-broadcast on the type of channels where people actually see stuff? Seems a shame for it to be hidden away.

Who knows? It's an FX production, which is a Disney subsidiary, and it's basically the biggest 'prestige' success FX has had, I'd imagine they'd want to keep it in-house.

It's an exceptionally good series so certainly worth keeping an eye out for introductory offers on Disney+ and binging it.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's an exceptionally good series so certainly worth keeping an eye out for introductory offers on Disney+ and binging it.

I signed up to Disney+ on a cheapo introductory offer, watched Shogun, and then cancelled. £3.99 well spent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Incidentally, another, apparently, great show from the same network as Shogun, "Dopesick" as just landed on IPlayer. I noticed it today. I shall give it a gander myself. 

• Like 3

On 27/04/2024 at 12:07, chrisp65 said:

Watched season 5 of Fargo and it was a real return to form, did everything I want Fargo to do.

So, considering that season 4 had left me a bit meh and I hadn’t made it past the first couple, I’ve given it another go.

It’s ok, perhaps on its own I’d even think it was good. But lined up against everything else branded Fargo, it’s the poor relation.

I recently re - watched season 4, and enjoyed more than I did the first time. I really don't think there's been a poor season, just some a lot better than others. For me, all seasons are extremely watchable. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Enjoying both of these newish shows: The Sympathizer (HBO in U.S.) and A Gentleman in Moscow (Showtime in U.S.)

A Gentleman in Moscow - read the book of this a few years back. Enjoyed it but wouldnt have thought it would be one to make a series out of tbh. May give it a go at some point

This Town. It's supposed to be set in the early 80s. The only place you could get Heroin from in 80s Birmingham was the Hobmoor pub in South Yardley and maybe a few hippies in Moseley. In contrast to today it was virtually non - existent. Honestly, the writing on this show is as cringeworthy as it gets.

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I know it's had 5 seasons but I have decided to watch Stranger Things. One thing that took me by surprise was how terribly Mathew Modine has aged.

great series, you will enjoy 

• Thanks 1

Â