General Chat

Stevo985

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Never noticed that one. 

What about 'year'? I pronounce it 'yur'. But (certainly up here in Yorkshire) a lot of people seem to draw it out into two syllables, as 'yee-er'. 

Probably closer to “yee-er”. Rhyming with “deer” or “near”.

On 16/11/2018 at 12:11, Paddywhack said:

They relaxed the dress code in our office about a year ago and you can basically wear what you want now, within reason.

In the last few weeks, one bloke has gone from wearing hoodies, t-shirts, jeans and trainers everyday to wearing smart shirts, bow-ties, waistcoats and suit jackets...with jeans and trainers.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting this, I just feel it needs to be pointed out.

He temps at Mumford and Sons.

37 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Never noticed that one. 

What about 'year'? I pronounce it 'yur'. But (certainly up here in Yorkshire) a lot of people seem to draw it out into two syllables, as 'yee-er'. 

I got loads of grief in the army from lads who lived in towns named after cakes for saying "yur" instead of year.  They were never bothered by wrung (wrong) lung(long) or the number "foyuv" , but " yur/yerr" really gripped their shit for some reason.  Whenever they'd say "It's yee-ar" I'd always reply "That don't sound "reet".

It's not like I was going around calling everybody "Ken" like the Glasgee fella in my section during basic training.

I Nuneaton we say 'nun' as in 'ent got nun' (I have not got any). Geographically we are horizonatal with Birmingham (or slightly North of it, if you define Birmingham as the ring road, for example). I wonder if the town was called Noneaton we'd say 'non'?

The first time I ever met a person with a pronounced English accent I was about 7 years old and they scared the crap out of me because I knew they expected me to understand the language being spoken but I could not put together a single one of the sentences for the life of me!

I often get asked what my background is because I have an 'accent'.

My favourite is probably Aussie ocker performed by the finest of scallywags.

"that's great" comes out as "ohhh beauty farken ripper moite"

"get bent" as "giiit farked"

"I'll have a look" as "I'll take a squidgee didge"

Some folk over here say have a different pronunciation for the same word too. Like take the word dance. Some will say 'darnce' others will say 'dahnce' and so on.

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

The first time I ever met a person with a pronounced English accent I was about 7 years old and they scared the crap out of me because I knew they expected me to understand the language being spoken but I could not put together a single one of the sentences for the life of me!

I often get asked what my background is because I have an 'accent'.

My favourite is probably Aussie ocker performed by the finest of scallywags.

"that's great" comes out as "ohhh beauty farken ripper moite"

"get bent" as "giiit farked"

"I'll have a look" as "I'll take a squidgee didge"

Some folk over here say have a different pronunciation for the same word too. Like take the word dance. Some will say 'darnce' others will say 'dahnce' and so on.

When I went travelling Down Under I met a British expat in a pub in Noosa and he was banging on about hating everything in Australia, the people, the accent (even though he had picked up an Aussie twang himself) etc and he'd finish every other sentence with 'It makes me as mad as a cut snake', which was probably the most Australian sounding thing I've ever heard.  I've tried using it over here but it just isn't the same.

• Like 1

I've discovered I have some remnants of my slight Brummie twang, having been highlighted by some friends repeating some words back to me.

One = wun

won = wun

fun = foon

That u sound apparently never goes away :(

19 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I've discovered I have some remnants of my slight Brummie twang, having been highlighted by some friends repeating some words back to me.

One = wun

won = wun

fun = foon

That u sound apparently never goes away :(

The first two aren't Brummie, they are 'correct'. 

The third one definitely IS Brummie. 

My accent is all over the shop. I've lived in Birmingham all my life, apart from uni, but I've never had much of an accent. I went to London with work a while ago and some colleagues down there refused to believe I was a Brummie. I have a few words that apparently come across as more Brummie than others, which got stronger when I worked in Walsall for a while, but generally nobody can tell where I'm from. It's weird.

• Like 1

I believe that my grammar school education beat my accent out of me as most I work with (in Leicestershire) don't think i have one...until i get annoyed or wound up and I go full on brummie. Knoworramean ?

Â