General Chat

Stevo985

On 26/10/2018 at 14:16, mjmooney said:

Until recently, I've always worn a poppy. But I considered it as being mainly about the two world wars (and I guess, Korea/Malaya), where soldiers were conscripted, to die in huge numbers. Those guys have almost all gone now. At the risk of offending some of our military veterans, I have mixed feelings about our more recent wars, fought by entirely professional, volunteer, armed forces. I also think that our government should take full responsibility for caring for the men and women they send out to be killed and maimed, rather than relying on charities. The poppy in recent years has (rightly or wrongly) come to be seen as suggesting "I unequivocally support our armed forces". Which, frankly, I don't. 

The first part of that, your personal take on it is fine. The last bit in bold is not, IMO. It's surely wrong. I agree there are poppy nobbers who seem to equate not wearing one as "unpatriotic" or even (the massive bell ends) "unbritish" but I've never come across this "it's about unequivocal support for the armed forces". I understand your "mixed feelings" as well, but just because someone volunteers to enter a career in the forces does not, surely, mean they are not deserving of help or sympathy if they are injured, become unwell, hit hard times later in life, or whatever else, or their spouses, children in the event of tragedy. And for all that people might think "the guvmint should..." well, they don't. So charity....

51 minutes ago, blandy said:

The first part of that, your personal take on it is fine. The last bit in bold is not, IMO. It's surely wrong. I agree there are poppy nobbers who seem to equate not wearing one as "unpatriotic" or even (the massive bell ends) "unbritish" but I've never come across this "it's about unequivocal support for the armed forces". I understand your "mixed feelings" as well, but just because someone volunteers to enter a career in the forces does not, surely, mean they are not deserving of help or sympathy if they are injured, become unwell, hit hard times later in life, or whatever else, or their spouses, children in the event of tragedy. And for all that people might think "the guvmint should..." well, they don't. So charity....

Fair point, and I can't disagree. 

But we all prioritise where we spend our charity donations. There's a line we all draw - above it, we're more likely to give (in my case, cancer research, homelessness - for example). Below it, less likely (my example - animal charities). World War veterans used to be just above the line. 'Modern' veterans are currently hovering near to it. 

20 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I may have had one of those most embarrassing moments. 

We're having a parent/ teacher seminar on what it means to be an elementary Montessori student and we've flown in one of the leading people from Norway to engage with parents and answer questions.

She asked me to prepare a bullet points on a huge sheet of paper so the parents can see. One of them was 'challenge ideas'. So I've written everything down and the parents all pile into the room. Seminar has been going on for 45 minutes before my eyes flick to the board.

I've written 'Challenge Anneka'

I'd have made a virtue of that. 

"Some of you may be wondering why I've written 'Challenge Anneka' here. Well, for those of you who don't know it, 'Challenge Anneka' was a TV game show, in which people had to 'think outside the box', in order to solve problems. So, we're going to play our version of 'Challenge Anneka', by challenging ideas. Who wants to start?" 

:)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brommy said:

Not until 3am.

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

They look like they came in on the last train to Klancentral. 

Great work, the both of you

dhMeAzK.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 03/11/2018 at 12:47, StefanAVFC said:

These blokes were around Lodz on Halloween

CPuB0MB.jpg

that's shocking

2018 and the person can't take a photo on their phone that isn't blurred

Now 35 was my first one I think: just reminded myself of the track listings for it:  so many songs of that era for me. I must have listened to the tape god knows how many times.

https://www.nowmusic.com/album/now-thats-what-i-call-music-35/

Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany's

Babybird :D

The Beautiful South - Rotterdam

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over

The Bluetones, Ocean Colour Scene, Pulp, Cast, Suede, Space, Faithless.. Clock - Oh What a Night :D ,

some great bands in there, as well as all the other 90s pop fluff of course.  Dont recognise any of the artists on the latest ones

Â