General Chat

Stevo985

I suffer with headaches and have previously had migraines (thankfully not had one for many years). Migraines are completely debilitating. You can't function, everything hurts and you basically have to just lie down in a dark room and pray it goes away quickly. They never do. Worse they usually alert you to their coming on - I got visual cues one was coming, blurred lines on my vision usually - so you get to dead the coming storm.

I've never knowingly had the flu, but the worst illness I've ever had was mononucleosis. That was horrific. I went to the docs feeling run down, he looks at me for a minute and says you've got mononucleosis, you're going to need some time off. The next day I was a wreck. Couldn't move, flipped from roasting hot to freezing cold in a flash, was absurdly tired and worn out, couldn't eat and could barely drink. I spent 3 days on the sofa in a dressing gown near delusional. At one point I was literally lay there making unconscious moaning noises. I lost a shitload of weight, and by the time I managed to get dressed you could actually wring the sweat out of my dressing gown like it had been soaked in water. And better I then spent months being knackered.

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m calling fibs here ...if my memory serves me well you decided against it when seeing the Minkeys in Bali :P

Ha true. I left it too late for that holiday. But I've had it before.

The point is if somebody came to my work and said "Do you want this free jab that will protect you against rabies" then I would definitely say yes!

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Ha true. I left it too late for that holiday. But I've had it before.

The point is if somebody came to my work and said "Do you want this free jab that will protect you against rabies" then I would definitely say yes!

I think I’d weigh up my chances of catching rabies tbf and then decide , from what I’ve been told it’s not a nice course of injections to take ?  

Ironically it isn’t effective if you have flu so make sure you get your flu jab first Dem if you’re temoted :)

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think I’d weigh up my chances of catching rabies tbf and then decide , from what I’ve been told it’s not a nice course of injections to take ?  

I think it was just 3 over the space of a month. Bit more effort but still no big deal.

But again this is beside the point :D The jab in question, the flu one, you'd barely even notice yoiu'd had.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes I do.

The point is, Dem, what's the negative here? I presume these are being offered at your workplace. For free. 
What's the downside to receiving it? 

You don't have to pay anything. You don't have to go anywhere. It takes like 30 seconds.
It makes no difference to your life except that it MIGHT stop you getting an unpleasant illness.

What makes me sceptical is a lot of the consultants I work with refuse to get it done. Why do they? 

If they don't I don't feel I should either Steve.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I believe it was the Independent

Probably was. A quick search on my search engine of choice suggested The independent, The Sun or The Mail as running the scary headlines. What I was most surprised about was the Sun being the only one to have the decency to put the word ineffective in quote marks :)

FWIW it wasn't a dig at your reading choice just the key points as presented, sounded like the mail.

Like how mail is this line from the third paragraph

The shocking figures have been partially blamed on the deadly strains of flu that .....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6446399/More-50-000-people-died-winter-England-Wales-severe-flu-outbreak.html

Shocking figures :crylaugh:

Clickbait headline boolox. Dont click the link you'll make them money or somesuch!

Winter death toll highest since 1975: Failure of flu jab to combat severe outbreak resulted in more than 50,000 extra people dying in England and Wales last year

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6446399/More-50-000-people-died-winter-England-Wales-severe-flu-outbreak.html

(same article)

What hope is there when that is the Headline though? Extra people :crylaugh:(She presumably got there from the nonclinical statistical term 'Excess Deaths' I suspect)  - resulted in (not contributed to?!?) Failure of the jab? Jab worked fine for what it was intended to do.

Whether they'd bought the right one.....now that's a different story altogether though eh? and possibly even newsworthy.....

Genuinely had the worst week illness wise of my life 

This cold/flu I thought I had... the cough is getting worse. Coughed myself sick a few times today! Going to have an early night (if I can get to sleep without coughing!) and see how I am tomorrow. The symptoms read like pneumonia but i'm sure its not that bad. My back is genuinely sore from all the coughing. 

• Sad 2

Off work today and fell down the Youtube black hole!

Just watched a video about the Denver airport conspiracy! 

Plus boxed off loads of episodes of Air Crash Investigation! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Off work today and fell down the Youtube black hole!

Just watched a video about the Denver airport conspiracy! 

Plus boxed off loads of episodes of Air Crash Investigation! 

YouTube black holes are genuinely one of my favourite pastimes. 

One minute you’re watching highlights of Aston Villa vs Forest, next minute you’re watching the marble racing world championships with no idea how you got there. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

YouTube black holes are genuinely one of my favourite pastimes. 

One minute you’re watching highlights of Aston Villa vs Forest, next minute you’re watching the marble racing world championships with no idea how you got there. 

I can waste hours on youtube, as a result I now love Daniel Tosh and Steve Hofstetter.

On 14/12/2018 at 20:57, Xela said:

Genuinely had the worst week illness wise of my life 

This cold/flu I thought I had... the cough is getting worse. Coughed myself sick a few times today! Going to have an early night (if I can get to sleep without coughing!) and see how I am tomorrow. The symptoms read like pneumonia but i'm sure its not that bad. My back is genuinely sore from all the coughing. 

How you feeling? Sounds awful..I'm convinced one of the worst ways of getting sick is public transport. Being congested in a small squashed place around so many people (some not bathing since the 90s) with others who are sick cannot be good forming a combination cocktail of flu mojito.

I'm scared I'm gonna get it for xmas three of my team mates are sick at the moment yet they are coming in. Just call in sick damnit!

55 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How you feeling? Sounds awful..I'm convinced one of the worst ways of getting sick is public transport. Being congested in a small squashed place around so many people (some not bathing since the 90s) with others who are sick cannot be good forming a combination cocktail of flu mojito.

I'm scared I'm gonna get it for xmas three of my team mates are sick at the moment yet they are coming in. Just call in sick damnit!

Try being a taxi driver, though I'm rarely ill apart from the odd cold. The other theory, of course, is that small doses of everyone else's germs will improve your immune system.

I often get dragged into Wikipedia black holes, too.

Can’t resist a good hyperlink to help me better understand the original article, but twenty minutes later and you’re so far removed from what you initially started to read.

I love it. Remember before when all we had was Encarta? Even that was mindblowing to my child brain at the time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bickster said:

Try being a taxi driver, though I'm rarely ill apart from the odd cold. The other theory, of course, is that small doses of everyone else's germs will improve your immune system.

Yeah my uncle's are and they tell me same thing the amount of ill people you have to take around and you don't get much of a chance to clean the cab esp if they are sitting in front seat.

Â