General Chat

Stevo985

57 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

You just get to offer advice (or listen to advice if it’s future you you’re speaking to), don’t drink quite as much, that girl you’re going to meet - don’t get yourself worked up too much over her, spend more time with family....that sort of thing.

Definitely this. As someone nearly 40 I would tell my 25 year old self to enjoy life more and have more adventures as you never know when your health is going to fail. i'd also tell myself to give the women I meet more of a chance and stop pining over 'her' that broke my heart at 23. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bit of a sad day today. I broke up from work today for a weeks holiday (that's not the sad part!) but when I go back I will be in a different office. Today was my last day in our Five Ways office. I've been on the 1st floor of that building for nearly 17 years. It's a dump now but i've hd some great memories there and numerous laughs. 

Call me a sentimental old fool but It was quite emotional walking out! I started there as a wet behind the ears 22yo! I was the last to leave so had a slow walk around before I left. 

Probably one for the boring thread! 

Aaah....those xmas office parties as an office junior.........back in the day......quick grope behind the filing cabinet with whats'ername from personnel in a darkened part of the office.......then out down broad st to damage your liver even more.......

Best part of working on an office for me, really.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2018 at 14:49, Jimzk5 said:

I've known about it for years really, it's hereditary and my dad had it and my brother has  is now, he's 7 years younger than me and he's is way more severe than mine currently is, there's no cure for it, medication is pretty limited and the side effects can be pretty severe so it's catch 22 really, at the moment it's things like buttoning up a shirt, holding a drink without spilling it, I've broke 3 phones this year as I can't grip them properly, eating has become a nightmare as the food constantly shakes off the fork. Eventually it will stop me working but when I don't know.

I have the same thing, as does my dad and uncle, but not as severe. Drinks are my main problem. But other things are ok. From the age of about 7 it started and from my teens people assumed that I had been drinking a lot. I feel for you, I am lucky in the respect that currently its not as severe as yours and if needs be I can hide it. I never ever accept drinks off people in new company.

My dads is as severe as yours, I wonder if that will be me in 20 years time.

Edited by Seat68

On 19/10/2018 at 19:58, mottaloo said:

Aaah....those xmas office parties as an office junior.........back in the day......quick grope behind the filing cabinet with whats'ername from personnel in a darkened part of the office.......then out down broad st to damage your liver even more.......

Best part of working on an office for me, really.

Give it 20 years and she'll claim you sexually assualted her

#metoo

• Haha 1

Not quite one for the piss me off thread (it doesn’t really), or things you don’t get thread (I kinda get it). 

Where I live, they’ve started to put up those large poppies that you see on lampposts and bollards. 

No James McClean style rant here. I’ll wear a poppy and I’m fine with lots of them on display at memorials and things like that. But seeing a foot tall plastic poppy stapled to every other lamppost, bollard and pelican crossing and seeing them displayed in a “playful” or an elaborately decorative way sort of sits uneasy with me. Like the meaning is a bit diluted.

As I say it doesn’t piss me off, I know it’s well intentioned. It just feels a bit cheap. I suppose seeing the local community Christmas decorations going up on the same day has added to that feeling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't like poppies. I think they've been ruined.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with what they stand for. Of course.

But the fact that they've been put up on this sort of pedestal is making them meaningless. It doesn't mean anything if everyone on TV gets a poppy shoved on them because it's unthinkable for anyone to be seen without a poppy. 
Along with the myths you get every year that the poppy has been banned at such and such a place or this person refused to wear one so BURN HIM!

Just seems to be diluting the meaning imo. It's like if everyone in the country was forced to wear a villa shirt. You wouldn't think "Wow look at all these people who support villa!". It would be meaningless.

I give to the poppy charity every year. But I rarely wear one.

Edit: re-reading this, my opening line is a bit harsh. it's not that I don't like poppies. That's silly. I mean I don't like how they've become such a symbol of controversy and how they've been attached to bullshit myths.

The villa shirt thing should be Williams first act as king  , along with anyone who became a Chelsea fan  after 2003 being thrown in the Tower 

As to the poppy like a lot of things it appears to have been hijacked so it's true meaning is lost  , it's about remembrance for men and women that stood up to be counted in times of conflict  , not a political weapon to hound people with.  we had  quiet heroes like Ronneberg who died this week,  his name should be known by everyone but isn't (bet more people can name some bint off love island)   people shouldn't feel obligated to wear a poppy , but they should be obligated to remember

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Yep, they've basically been hijacked by the right

I don't think that's true tbh

There are going to be an element of people in society who may use the poppy for political reasons , from the Muslims want to ban our <<insert object here>>>  share if you agree types on social media  to  the white poppy as sold by the Peace Pledge Union way way back   .....

but the poppy is mainly worn by millions of people as a sign of remembrance ..

Â