General Chat

Stevo985

47 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Really? You sure you're not getting a bad cold 3 times a year?

The average adult gets the flu twice a decade.

I think I've just had flu... or a very bad cold. Pretty much bed bound for 2 days at its worst. 

This flu/only a cold argument rather pisses me off. As if there are only two possibilities - full blown influenza (which, yes, is a serious thing) OR a slight sniffle. 

When actually there is a whole family of ever-mutating viruses, which vary in severity from the mildly inconvenient to the potentially life-threatening. It's a spectrum, and you can be properly ill while still being short of 'actual flu'. I blame women and their snide 'man flu' digs. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I very rarely get AIDs but I'd still accept a free vaccine if it was given to me.

It takes like 30 seconds and will stop you getting the flu on the off chance you do actually get it.

it was suggested  50,000 "extra" deaths came about this year as a result of the flu jab being ineffective

now they might have died anyway but then again they might not

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This flu/only a cold argument rather pisses me off. As if there are only two possibilities - full blown influenza (which, yes, is a serious thing) OR a slight sniffle. 

When actually there is a whole family of ever-mutating viruses, which vary in severity from the mildly inconvenient to the potentially life-threatening. It's a spectrum, and you can be properly ill while still being short of 'actual flu'. I blame women and their snide 'man flu' digs. 

on  similar vein for me is Migraines

amount of people ( and lets be honest it's women) posting on facebook that they have a migraine

No you don't because if you had a migraine you would have blurred or no vision , tingling in your arms , be vomiting , shaking sweating and in so much pain that killing yourself would seem like a far better alternative to posting on Facebook

the sending you Hugs comments from friends are no better either  .. they don't need your sympathy they need a weblink to migraine symptoms on The Lancet webpage

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

What the hell is the difference ?!!:ph34r:

You're in bed with a cold or a flu and 50 pounds is left next to your bed.

If you have a cold you will pick it up. If you have flu then you will not care and will leave it.

Edited by RunRickyRun

21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

on  similar vein for me is Migraines

amount of people ( and lets be honest it's women) posting on facebook that they have a migraine

No you don't because if you had a migraine you would have blurred or no vision , tingling in your arms , be vomiting , shaking sweating and in so much pain that killing yourself would seem like a far better alternative to posting on Facebook

the sending you Hugs comments from friends are no better either  .. they don't need your sympathy they need a weblink to migraine symptoms on The Lancet webpage

As someone who suffers from migraines (silent and full ones) on a reasonably regular basis, I wish I could like this post a few more times. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Anti-vaxxers are **** morons.

&¤%#/¤& We almost completely wiped out the measles in this part of the world and now, lo and behold, it's back thanks to these nutters. They then infect infants at hospitals when seeking help (yeah, now you want help), who are too young to get the protecting jab, it's a lethal decease ffs. words removed words removed words removed words removed words removed words removed

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

As someone who suffers from migraines (silent and full ones) on a reasonably regular basis, I wish I could like this post a few more times. 

Definitely, I get them and my body just shuts down.  Luckily I've found some decent medication that snuffs them out completely if I take it early enough, but yeah it is annoying when someone is working and goes on about having a migraine when it's just a headache.  It makes it feel like I get judged as being a pansy for going home when I get an attack.

Luckily never had flu and haven't had a cold for a couple of years at least.  I think if this winter stays as mild as it is at the moment I'll get one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I think I've just had flu... or a very bad cold. Pretty much bed bound for 2 days at its worst. 

I've had running nose blocked nose coughing and weak all at once but never to the extent of being unable to get out if bed (touch wood) 

Surely that's still the flu then? I mean instead if the expression of a cold there are different types of flu, mild flu and severe flu? Just like a cough and a chest infection?

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

What's everyone's opinion on the flu jab? My work are really pushing us to get it done but I don't want it. Touch wood I rarely get flu so why do I need to get this bloody thing if I have don't have to?

Leaving aside the whether you want to or not aspect for a moment (As others have said it's your choice - do what you want)

The answer to this highlighted bit is the herd. Whether or not you fall ill to the virus you could still transmit that virus for one, but in order for us all to be protected a certain amount of the population is vaccinated.

The obvious benefit for/to people on the front line of dealing with the sick/elderly/young is there but the thinking behind immunisation is to protect the herd as a whole. Flu doesn't have a particularly high reproduction rate compared to other things like measles/rubella etc so the amount of the population that need to be immunised for the critical rate to be reached is lower. The Herd Immunity Threshold. For Flu its less than 50% of the population.

The NHS will have targets (and maybe offering free jabs to all it's office staff as well as the front line staff may help them hit those targets, I couldn't possibly comment)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

495px-Herd_immunity.svg.png

Some people are literally unable to fight off certain infections. Some most at need of the vaccine would not be able to fight it off. So basically, we do it for them. Altruistically almost. The strong protecting the weak. Like a wall of the uninfectable around those unable to fight off the things themselves....And indeed the "free riders".

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Do you get shots for rabies as well just in case? :D

Yes I do.

The point is, Dem, what's the negative here? I presume these are being offered at your workplace. For free. 
What's the downside to receiving it? 

You don't have to pay anything. You don't have to go anywhere. It takes like 30 seconds.
It makes no difference to your life except that it MIGHT stop you getting an unpleasant illness.

56 minutes ago, RunRickyRun said:

You're in bed with a cold or a flu and 50 pounds is left next to your bed.

If you have a cold you will pick it up. If you have flu then you will not care and will leave it.

Was just about to post exactly this. 

Once you’ve properly had the flu, you never have to ask what the difference is between a cold and the flu. 

• Like 1

Â