General Chat

Stevo985

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Does anyone have experience with cat s/n cars? The system has changed to when I last got a car about 8 years ago. I've done some reading and its mixed bag and confusing.

I seen a nice car but it's down as a cat s/n but comes with a years warranty. Also I've done insurance and its cheaper than my current car. The only concern I've seen is that you might have trouble selling it. But i was thinking I'll just give to missus or my dad said he will have it when he comes when I want a new car.

Anyone had any experience of buying a cat s/n?

For me it'd very much depend on finding out what was damaged, and the reputation of the company that repaired it, but typically I don't think it[s worth it. If it's a write off, it's either a really cheap car so you're not saving as much, or it's a decent car that took quite a considerable amount of damage.

For either category, I'd want to get a trusted third party to do a thorough examination to make sure it's been repaired competently and it's roadworthy, but I'd be particularly wary of buying a car that had suffered from serious structural damage, which is the case for any Cat S. 

Edited by Davkaus

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Does anyone have experience with cat s/n cars? The system has changed to when I last got a car about 8 years ago. I've done some reading and its mixed bag and confusing.

I seen a nice car but it's down as a cat s/n but comes with a years warranty. Also I've done insurance and its cheaper than my current car. The only concern I've seen is that you might have trouble selling it. But i was thinking I'll just give to missus or my dad said he will have it when he comes when I want a new car.

Anyone had any experience of buying a cat s/n?

What cat is it? S or N. Cat S is structural damage e.g. chasis so I wouldnt touch that with a bargepole,. Cat N is cosmetic damage, I'd have much less a problem with this

If S/N means its both see my first reply

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

What cat is it? S or N. Cat S is structural damage e.g. chasis so I wouldnt touch that with a bargepole,. Cat N is cosmetic damage, I'd have much less a problem with this

If S/N means its both see my first reply

Bit baffling. Here is advert 

20181109_213955.jpg

Yes Dem, it's repairable and can appear again on the road but I'm guessing you are not experienced in spotting a good chassis repair nor do you know who carried out the repair to get it on the road

They can give you a lifetime guarantee, it's not much use if the car falls apart and kills you in the resulting accident.

Honestly mate, it's not worth the risk

• Like 1

Also @Demitri_Csome insurance companies will refuse to insure cat s/n cars, others may ask for a much higher premium

You can get the RAC or similar to inspect it for about £100 but that's more money you've wasted if they turn round and give you a horror story of a report

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Yes Dem, it's repairable and can appear again on the road but I'm guessing you are not experienced in spotting a good chassis repair nor do you know who carried out the repair to get it on the road

They can give you a lifetime guarantee, it's not much use if the car falls apart and kills you in the resulting accident.

Honestly mate, it's not worth the risk

Thanks mate I'll avoid 

11 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Is the CFS warehouse as magical as I imagine it in my fevered dreams?

They've opened a store in central Manchester so I was there.  It's a very cool little shop.

It was the day Juve were at Old Trafford, so the place was packed.

It's very much rails of product rather than being a boutique store experience but they'd got multiple sizes across the offering.  It was also sorted into categories based on region, division, etc.

• Like 1

They relaxed the dress code in our office about a year ago and you can basically wear what you want now, within reason.

In the last few weeks, one bloke has gone from wearing hoodies, t-shirts, jeans and trainers everyday to wearing smart shirts, bow-ties, waistcoats and suit jackets...with jeans and trainers.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting this, I just feel it needs to be pointed out.

23 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

They relaxed the dress code in our office about a year ago and you can basically wear what you want now, within reason.

In the last few weeks, one bloke has gone from wearing hoodies, t-shirts, jeans and trainers everyday to wearing smart shirts, bow-ties, waistcoats and suit jackets...with jeans and trainers.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting this, I just feel it needs to be pointed out.

A **** bow tie? You need to focus less on being weird in lifts and more on having a word with this fella.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

IMG_20181116_135625.png

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never knew that some people pronounce the word none as 'nun' rather than 'non'.

They actually intentionally make a u sound rather than an o sound.  I'm guessing it must be a North/South thing?

I work in Oxfordshire and found myself outnumbered but after consulting anyone from Brum or above they say all say 'non'.

17 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I never knew that some people pronounce the word none as 'nun' rather than 'non'.

They actually intentionally make a u sound rather than an o sound.  I'm guessing it must be a North/South thing?

I work in Oxfordshire and found myself outnumbered but after consulting anyone from Brum or above they say all say 'non'.

I've brought this up before. Same with the word 'one'. My wife insists that it's pronounced 'wun', and says that I'm doing it all wrong rhyming it with 'gone'. Must be a Brummie thing. 

Hmmm I say both “non” and “nun” for none. Probably lean towards “nun”.

One is definitely “won”.

Won is definitely “wun”.

When I first heard “Champagne Supernova” I found it bizarre that Mancunians (or at least the Gallaghers) would pronounce tear (as in teardrop) like you’d pronounce tear when describing a rip in a coat.

7 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

When I first heard “Champagne Supernova” I found it bizarre that Mancunians (or at least the Gallaghers) would pronounce tear (as in teardrop) like you’d pronounce tear when describing a rip in a coat.

Never noticed that one. 

What about 'year'? I pronounce it 'yur'. But (certainly up here in Yorkshire) a lot of people seem to draw it out into two syllables, as 'yee-er'. 

Edited by mjmooney

Â