Pau Torres

Delphinho123

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Doesn't sound like 90 mins for him and Konsa..maybe Lenglet and Chambers start and get subbed if it's going wrong?

I think that's what I'd expect... it would be preferable to go strong to start and then bring them off if we're winning, but if there's any doubt we'll have to take the "hope we don't need them" route and avoid temptation if  things are looking particularly dicey.

Good news overall that they're both borderline, we just need to not aggravate their return.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Basing your thinking on some pre-season halves isn't wise.

You have no data to support your argument. I have provided the tactical set ups of Unai Emery from the time when Mings was fit.

He used the other two set ups repeatedly. It is reasonable to assume he was going to play Pau Mings and Konsa together in the third set up. Especially as we have suffered without Mings on defensive side, in particular his set piece defence

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

He used the other two set ups repeatedly. It is reasonable to assume he was going to play Pau Mings and Konsa together in the third set up. Especially as we have suffered without Mings on defensive side, in particular his set piece defence

Reasonable but not indisputable as you said.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Hermoso would be cover for Pau. Mings is as the Central CB in the back three not the LCB.

Pau Mings Konsa Cash

Moreno Hermoso Carlos Konsa 

The chances we never again see Pau play the position he's played every single competitive game for us so far is 0%.

We will see him as one of two main centre halves, with routine full backs at times. Players will need to adapt and play different roles.

Glad to see you back interested in Villa.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Can’t speak for Braithwaite as not seen him enough but if we had Tarkowski  in defence we would soon see how much it limits us when we are try play around at the back and beat the press. 

I accept we need dominance in the air but  being comfortable on the ball under pressure is pretty important to how we play too.

I think he's a better footballer than people think. He's limited by the way Dyche plays.  I'm.not saying we should sign him as I'd rather a fully fit Mings but we don't know if Mings will come back the same player he was before the acl. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think he's a better footballer than people think. He's limited by the way Dyche plays.  I'm.not saying we should sign him as I'd rather a fully fit Mings but we don't know if Mings will come back the same player he was before the acl. 

Maybe. I just think he’s a bit of a thug. Seems more than happy to injure opposition players with his style of tackling. 

I guess some fans love this.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, TRO said:

I could wax lyrical about Pau, from now until midnight.....but I still want a dominant "in the air" Centre back alongside him.

I still see Mings as that player, but right now, it's not possible.

Jarrad Branthwaite, for the squad, maybe.

Playing devils advocate. We’ve only conceded  one headed goal in the league this season 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Playing devils advocate. We’ve only conceded  one headed goal in the league this season 

We have conceded the most goals by corners in the PL.   Corners are mostly either cleared by the keeper or headed away.  Teams know if you hinder Emi's movement we have no secondary response.

Throw stats out the window, every corner looks like calamity waiting to happen as we struggle to clear. 

23 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

We have conceded the most goals by corners in the PL.   Corners are mostly either cleared by the keeper or headed away.  Teams know if you hinder Emi's movement we have no secondary response.

Throw stats out the window, every corner looks like calamity waiting to happen as we struggle to clear. 

We lack height in our team without Mings and Kamara. Konsa also isn't the best in the air. I'd be tempted to play Digne against Luton. He is much better than Moreno in the air.

16 minutes ago, omariqy said:

We lack height in our team without Mings and Kamara. Konsa also isn't the best in the air. I'd be tempted to play Digne against Luton. He is much better than Moreno in the air.

But we lose attacking effort without Dinge. We’ll have a nightmare of long and high balls with Luton anyway.

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I think that's what I'd expect... it would be preferable to go strong to start and then bring them off if we're winning, but if there's any doubt we'll have to take the "hope we don't need them" route and avoid temptation if  things are looking particularly dicey.

Good news overall that they're both borderline, we just need to not aggravate their return.

They're better off both getting some minutes tomorrow versus being thrown in vs Spurs next weekend IMO. Obviously depends on some factors but neither of them are going to magically be fit to play 90 mins or even 60 mins next week if they can't do a few minutes this week.

Every time someone mentions that Everton fella I think he's one of those Braithwaites moonshiners from Red Dead Redemption2.  Cowboy bastards.  🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

We concede all types of different goals. Of course there is always room for improvement but I don’t think we have one glaring weakness that some seem to make out we have.  The only problem we have is we have to play an opposition who also want to win the game every week.  They manage to create chances against us the pesky buggers!

I don’t get why it always has to be deemed as some sort of obvious problem that has to be addressed whenever we concede.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Yes I know you’ve got this fixation on this back three point you’re trying to make but you don’t actually know where Mings would figure in Unai’s tactical system given he has played only 30 minutes this season and Pau was on the bench and not on the left side of a back three like you keep trying to claim.

Look at pre season and look at the skillsets of the players. Mings/Carlos are similar in what they offer and Carlos only plays as the central of a back 3. 

Do you see Mings as more like Pau and Lenglet and that what they offer on the ball or is he more like Carlos? If we remove fixations with which is the preferred foot. Look at the roles they play, look at fbref stats on passing bad defense etc.. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Lots of recycled goals though where the ball was headed back across

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Look at pre season and look at the skillsets of the players. Mings/Carlos are similar in what they offer and Carlos only plays as the central of a back 3. 

Do you see Mings as more like Pau and Lenglet and that what they offer on the ball or is he more like Carlos? If we remove fixations with which is the preferred foot. Look at the roles they play, look at fbref stats on passing bad defense etc.. 

I get where you are coming from, but you need to distinguish between when we have possession and when we don't have it. We don't play a back 3 out of possession, we play a back 4 with a medium block, but in possession and in buildup we go to a back 3. This season that has been Konsa on the right of the 3 (but technically a right back when the game kicks off), usually Carlos and Torres as the two centre halves, and Digne or Moreno as the left back bombing on. But then we have also played with Cash-Konsa-Torres-Digne as our back 4 with Kamara dropping into the back 3 from midfield and Cash and Digne playing as left midfielders almost in a 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-1. 

So if you are pushing Torres to left centre back (or left back when we aren't in possession) we will need a better right back than Cash to make that work because Unai clearly doesn't trust him so my point is still relevant. And I say that after I thought Cash had a really good game against Forest, but up against any half decent left back he is pretty ineffective. 

At least we’ve learnt to win without him now, albeit not very comfortably. Hopefully another few days recuperation and he’ll be good to go. 

Â