Pau Torres

Delphinho123

49 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Branthwaite is going to the top IMO. Don't think he's far off an England callup. Personally I'd have him in the Euros squad with Konsa, Stones and Tomori and discard Maguire and Dunk but Cock Nose won't do it. 

Doubt we're going to sign him though, Everton will ask stupid money. Rather go for Todibo if we move Carlos on who will be available at a much lower price I'd imagine. 

Man. United will sign him given who owns them now.

Hermoso sounds a pretty good link tbh. Schooled in the Simeone low block system but I liked him at Espanyol and if he can cover LB competently aswell that would be a pretty good deal.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Man. United will sign him given who owns them now.

Hermoso sounds a pretty good link tbh. Schooled in the Simeone low block system but I liked him at Espanyol and if he can cover LB competently aswell that would be a pretty good deal.

Yeah I rate Hermoso but Todibo interested me because of his age (only 24), his price tag was reasonable for a player with a lot of potential, and he seems a really good defender as well as excellent on the ball, plus he’s right footed so a like for like replacement for Carlos. Man Utd probably need a right footed centre half though so could see them looking. 

If Hermoso came in I suspect it would be to be a more defensive left back option than Moreno given Torres/Mings will cover left centre back.

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

so why are we conceding such sloppy goals, when we are in the ascendency?....While I accept that, it doesn't seem to correlate with my main point.......conceding avoidable goals....or as some say, sloppy goals.

I guess against City and Arsenal, we demonstrated admirably, that we can defend and can contain.....so could it be consistency? or simply, certain types of attack, spook us.....I would suggest aerial balls, do seem to be a trend, towards our achilles.

Having 3 centre halves injured and a new back 4 every week probably isn’t helping. I accept that not having a Mings type defender to attack set pieces is a big miss too. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Yeah I rate Hermoso but Todibo interested me because of his age (only 24), his price tag was reasonable for a player with a lot of potential, and he seems a really good defender as well as excellent on the ball, plus he’s right footed so a like for like replacement for Carlos. Man Utd probably need a right footed centre half though so could see them looking. 

If Hermoso came in I suspect it would be to be a more defensive left back option than Moreno given Torres/Mings will cover left centre back.

Hermoso would be cover for Pau. Mings is as the Central CB in the back three not the LCB.

Pau Mings Konsa Cash

Moreno Hermoso Carlos Konsa

These setups where we have one attacking fullback and the other 3 shift to be the 3 CBs in possession 

Just now, CVByrne said:

Hermoso would be cover for Pau. Mings is as the Central CB in the back three not the LCB.

Pau Mings Konsa Cash

Moreno Hermoso Carlos Konsa

These setups where we have one attacking fullback and the other 3 shift to be the 3 CBs in possession 

It could work like that but I suspect Cash won’t be the right back. I see us bringing in a new right back in summer whether that be Dumfries or someone else. Cash might be backup option but depends if they think Kosta is ready or not in which case Cash might be sold.

7 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

It could work like that but I suspect Cash won’t be the right back. I see us bringing in a new right back in summer whether that be Dumfries or someone else. Cash might be backup option but depends if they think Kosta is ready or not in which case Cash might be sold.

Cash is irrelevant to the point I was making. It was about the functional back 3 and how Mings plays with a LCB not as the LCB

18 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Mings is as the Central CB in the back three not the LCB.

Pau Mings Konsa Cash

Hehehe

2 hours ago, TRO said:

If we can sign Pau Torres, Moussa Diaby and Boub Kamara.....we can sign just about anyone.

We have the one of the best goalkeepers around, one of the best strikers......we need to have more confidence in ourselves, when we go for well talked about players.

I don't disagree.  Branthwaite would (from what I have seen so far) be a great fit for the way that Emery wants to play.  He'll add some aeriel power but not at the cost of compromising our ability on the ball / deck.  He really does seem to have everything you'd want from a defender.  But there will be a lot of teams after him and some will be able to offer a lot higher wages.  But that doesn't mean that we don't have things that we can offer instead.  It's a question of what he values more.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Hehehe

The way Emery set them up in Pre Season. So indisputable facts and evidence. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The way Emery set them up in Pre Season. So indisputable facts and evidence. 

About 90 mins in total wasn't it? Of pre-season. Then didn't do it first game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

About 90 mins in total wasn't it? Of pre-season. Then didn't do it first game.

Three defensive setups we played in the summer pre season tour. Indicating what Emery was thinking for use this season.

Newcastle - Digne Mings Konsa Cash

Fulham - Digne Pau Carlos Konsa

Brentford - Pau Mings Konsa Cash

Opening game we played the top lineup (Pau new to the league) Mings does ACL.

Since then the top two lineups have been used as Mings is out

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Three defensive setups we played in the summer pre season tour. Indicating what Emery was thinking for use this season.

Basing your thinking on some pre-season halves isn't wise.

It's an option. It's not the singular way we will play all the time and every transfer will be built round.

I also don't think we'll be signing up a Hermoso type player on well over £125k a week to be "back-up".

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

But you're proclaiming that you know which one he'd use if Mings was still fit, and it wouldn't be the one he used the first game of the season? He'd have used variations of all of them throughout the season, and had Pau got injured instead, he'd have just rejigged the backline to accommodate it like he has done with Mings injured. 

We don't need another Pau, IF Mings comes back fully functional. I feel like you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think we'll sign Lenglet (or an alternative to him).

Obviously, if they have doubts about Mings then that isn't the case, but I'm talking about the situation where he comes back to pre season and looks fine. 

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I also don't think we'll be signing up a Hermoso type player on well over £125k a week to be "back-up".

This.

We've got Lenglet on that wage because insurance will be covering Mings' wages.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Cash is irrelevant to the point I was making. It was about the functional back 3 and how Mings plays with a LCB not as the LCB

Yes I know you’ve got this fixation on this back three point you’re trying to make but you don’t actually know where Mings would figure in Unai’s tactical system given he has played only 30 minutes this season and Pau was on the bench and not on the left side of a back three like you keep trying to claim.

They may have rolled out Pau at LB for pre-season as a thought experiment but in game that would be terrifying to try and watch.

Digne and Moreno have a hard enough time with some of the tricky wingers they face - how much more Pau out in space vs the Neto's, Saka's and Foden's of the league.

Edited by DJBOB

Â