Ratings & Reactions: Bournemouth v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/22 at 22:59

I missed most of the match, just caught up on a few posts in the match thread and the final 20 minutes on the radio. 

However this is a dreadful result any which way you look at it. 

At best you would hope we had been all over them and they grabbed a couple against the run of play though that's not how I believe it went down.  On the radio we weren't even having a go, just nothing going on. 

I know it was a banana skin and odd things happen on the first day of the season but this is very concerning. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Icarium said:

As an overseas fan who can't be at the next game to express my feelings directly, all i want to hear through the broadcast next week is 90mins of "you don't know what you're doing" being chanted at Gerrard 

That’ll help. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

You can compensate for this by playing quick football on the ground and take the height out of the equation. Some of their guys have the turning radius of an 18 wheeler. We should have given them the run around.

Indeed

• Like 1

Would be embarrassing were it not so unsurprising. We desperately need a more physically dominant striker and also a midfielder that is not a John McGinn just trying to float the ball to back post 20 times a game.

Midfield selection was wrong from the start, against a back 3 + low block you have incisive passers to keep the ball moving and players who can navigate tight spaces, not runners who won't have the room to run in the first place. Passing it back to the CBs a few times then out wide to be crossed to players half the size of their defenders is a team with no ideas. Not playing Mings against these was an insane decision, too.

• Like 1

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

I’ve not seen the game. But arteta last season springs to mind, arsenal fans would have got rid up until 6 games into the season. Things may not turn out well but it’s possible. 

Arteta has balls.

He wasn’t picking superstars and was weeding them out of the club for the benefit of the team.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You can compensate for this by playing quick football on the ground and take the height out of the equation. Some of their guys have the turning radius of an 18 wheeler. We should have given them the run around.

100%. Absolutely no excuses to be that turgid. 

Anyone who has watched any part of Gerrards reign last year plus pre season would have seen today coming from a mile off. Gutless outfit on and off the pitch. He has time and should be given time but I really hope the owners give top lad Stevie G an absolute bollocking. 

Kamara was good. Great at winning the ball back. Infuriatingly, he did it really high up with a chance to create a shot, but there was noone offering the opportunity so we failed to catch Bournemouth in transition.

It felt like ll three strikers touched the ball less than 10 times altogether so the issue is getting them in the game against teams sitting back. Coutinho and Buendia were meant to be the answers to this. Phil was useless today, Buendia buzzed around more but still didn't provide enough guile. 

The tactic of going long and throwing in crosses should've been abandoned after five minutes.

As soon as you see Moore in the Bournemouth squad, Mings should be playing. I don't think the ball drops in our area for their two goals if he is. 

Mc Ginn was invisible and had no impact on that one, Coutinho looked years past his best and a complete waste of a shirt. Defence did okay but had little help from midfielders who never did their jobs defensively. Ings was a fly on a windscreen, Watkins wasn't even a fly.

If Gerrard never realised before, he must now know that Villa need a strong, powerful, experienced frontman because Bournemouth's D had it way too easy out there !

Â