Ratings & Reactions: Bournemouth v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/22 at 22:59

So the Pre season “optimism” I had has gone already, well actually not that I had much anyway really as Beale the brains left  and we have failed to sort the lack of creativity or our spluttering srikers.
Not a cat in hells chance this squad and manager finishes top half sadly. 

More drudgery as we saw pretty much all pre season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomC said:

The goals were pretty bad. On the first, there were four players in the vicinity of the ball, but nobody saw Lerma sneak away into a large pocket of space. It kind of reminded me of Trezeguet’s goal against Arsenal that helped keep us up three seasons ago. On the second, Cash just backed off his man. Inexcusable.

Attack was toothless. We had lots of possession…lots of sterile possession. Bournemouth did what newly promoted sides do…stay organized and dig in. We should have expected that. But our passing was ponderous and often inaccurate, and the off the ball movement was atrocious…nobody was making runs to try to pull the defenders out of position; they just stood around and waited for the ball.

Unlike us, Bournemouth certainly knew what to expect. SG seems obsessed with attacking down the wings, and they happily clogged the wings and kept us pinned against the sideline. Why not use the centre? If they clog the centre in response, one of the wings will be open and you play a diagonal ball into space.

Part of the probem is that the McGinn-Ramsey-Booboo midfield does not offer any creativity. Ramsey is a runner/carrier, not a passer. McGinn fancies himself a passer but isn’t. Booboo passes well, but he’s supposed to be the deep man. I think you need Dougie instead of JJ or McGinn.

I thought that the halftime sub was potentially smart…move Coutinho or Bueni into midfield to give us some creativity in the centre. But then we still attacked down the wings. Why?

This was a tactical failure, plus the players weren’t mentally ready and had another slow start. That’s on the manager. I have not been part of the anti-SG crowd, but it’s hard to blame anyone else for this one.

MOTM for me was Kamara. Good first PL game. Broke up plays, stronger in the air than I expected, can pass the ball. My only criticism was that he gave away a lot of fouls.

Spot on. Agree with all of this. 

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It feels like the Bruce era again. Being envious of the likes of Brentford and Fulham for having clear identities after the play us off the pitch.

I wouldn't say it was the case today as Bournemouth weren't that great, all they had to do was win 2 headers to come away with 3 points 

Well not in terms of their overall style of play like the examples you mentioned, but still and all Bournemouth had a clearer and more sensible idea in how they played, as well as more urgency when needed and just generally looked the more likely for all of the ball we had. I envy the far more effective implementation of what they did even if I wouldn't want Villa to play with the same style of anything like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAN4OSU said:

3) Archer? Honestly, would any other premiership team start that guy? May have ability but never a starter in the premiership. Our manager subbed him at half time.  Wasn’t 20 mins enough? Wasn’t pre season enough?

Think you mean Ramsey, matey-mate-mate

• Like 1

We have always played our best football on the floor and at pace. Man City last game of the season was the way we play best, unfortunately, with it being the last game of the season we tired and there quality showed through. If we played like this against Bournemouth, it would have been all over at half time, so I'm not sure what he was trying to do today, with all those poor crosses into the box.

He needs to improve and fast. I personally sensed today we played like there has been a bit of a fall out, I'm not sure if there's something gone on behind closed doors, but with Sanson not even in the squad and  Ming's on the bench, something just didn't seem right, football was so poor. How can we not create with Buendia, Coutinho, Digne, Ings up front, it's just ludicrous, we didn't lay a glove on a team Scott Parker was saying last week is going to struggle without any premiership quality.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maxjackle said:

At least we have a game next week... imagine having that result and atmosphere just before this poxy winter world cup.

Its ok, football re-starts on boxing day. Just in time for our traditional holiday period/new year collapse.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Define dominate the middle? Today Villa had the majority of possession, we had the ball in the middle a lot. The main problem was we couldn’t progress in control and create good chances.

We passed the ball around the back 4 a lot and then lost it when we tried to progress it through the midfield. This is what always happens. We look at our best when we bypass the midfield and angle balls into the channels for Ollie to try and win, moving us quickly up the pitch. Sadly this is a tactic that is limited and will never lead to sustained success. We rarely win any second balls.

To dominate you keep the ball high up the pitch, pushing the defenders back, moving the ball quickly whilst looking for an opening. When you do lose it, you smoother the opposition and quickly win the ball back, high up the pitch and start again.

Of course for a club like us it’s unlikely that we can consistently do that for the duration of a match against the very best and you have to adjust your tactics accordingly but we should be able to do it against at least half of the teams in the league.

Im still in good spirits after todays game but im sorry but there seems to be no start of season positive spirit listen to WM phone in after the game. 

A guy was right with what he said lack of attack up front from the striker (Ings) im shocked he hasn't gone in for another striker surely our owners could at least try and prize Rashford from man u with juicy contract it seems like the owners and Gerrard think that squad can chase Europe sorry but it doesn't look like Europe chasing to me and we didn't play like a Europe chasing team today.

A friend told me the ticket office is shut and it was empty down at villa park some day last week dont look like a top team chasing Europe at the moment 

But on a positive its one game into the season and we had good pre-season so it could all change 🙂

Â