Ratings & Reactions: Bournemouth v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/22 at 22:59

We are a team that has to play three at the back, the ability and professionalism is just not there in these players, therefore the only way to fill the gaps is extra bodies in defence. The lack of spirit and fight seems to be someone else's problem to this bunch and trying to play like Liverpool with a b class outfit only ends in defeat, we have to change the thinking at villa and get some robust players that cannot be bullied so easily and willing to lie down rather than bite back. The lack of height left an open door that Moore netted probably his only goal of the season, we can play as much pretty football for the stats as we like, but stats do not put the ball in the net. Wake up villa we need to get some grit in our play.

13 hours ago, thunderball said:

Just watched the 10minute highlights, we looked OK. Yes the goals were poor and preventable but what I saw backed up by the stats reads like a limited team (Bournemouth) playing on the back foot and getting lucky twice. We worked some decent opportunities and might think us unlucky to not get at least a goal. We had 66% possession and 15 shots, twice that of Bournemouth, away from home that’s good and what we need to aspire to.

First games are always messy and unpredictable, we knew going into the game that not quite sorted and our lack of synergy between midfield and attack showed. 

Dissapointing yes, which I think explains the outpouring but far from being the end of the world , and certainly nothing to suggest that Gerrard will fail. Might expedite a decent #8 and possibly a striker too.

I can guarantee that we would not have had 66% possession if Bournemouth did not score so early on. We only had so much possession  as they allowed us to have it, as we were doing nothing with the ball. They allowed us to slowly pass it around at the back.

We might have had 15 shots but were any of them actually decent chances? They were mostly hopefull long range punts, did we have have a shot from inside their area? 

Also cannot aggree with, that their goals were lucky, they were poorly defended by us. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I can guarantee that we would not have had 66% possession if Bournemouth did not score so early on. We only had so much possession  as they allowed us to have it, as we were doing nothing with the ball. They allowed us to slowly pass it around at the back.

We might have had 15 shots but were any of them actually decent chances? They were mostly hopefull long range punts, did we have have a shot from inside their area? 

Also cannot aggree with, that their goals were lucky, they were poorly defended by us. 

Here is a summary of all Villa's chances:

Apart from maybe the Ings header (where potentially he could have done better) we hardly came close to scoring at all!

• Like 1

We could bring about £90m worth of signings on from the bench plus one of the best young strikers this club has had for a while but without any cohesive plan that suits the personnel you persist with Stevie then whats the point. More often than not in the time since Gerrard took charge, we’ve had far too many Watford (h), Newcastle (a) type of noshows. I think picking people in form should be a given for any manager of a football team, if you dont it can be detrimental within the dressing room. Buendia, Chambers & Douglas should all be starting in that environment and type of opening game imo

Really disappointing to have to start from behind after a semi decent preseason, i thought 3-0 win like most, never change Villa. Remember feeling similar when Pompey came up and we had them first game and we got done on sky in that yellow away kit; at least they had a Teddy Sheringham and a few top pros in that side. 

Big week for Neil Critchley. Get us looking a hell of a lot sharper than that please 🙏 

In only 1 match last season did we have higher possession stats than we did here, and we didn't win that one either.

This one was 65.6%

Last season's was 71.3% in a 1-1 home draw with Burnley.

2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Here is a summary of all Villa's chances:

Apart from maybe the Ings header (where potentially he could have done better) we hardly came close to scoring at all!

I was genuinely **** fuming watching some of those in the match. Particularly McGinn going from distance three times, including twice early on on, with numerous people up to support, but he's too **** braindead to stop and assess his options, so just has a go.

Then Carlos...We're so short of ideas on how to break a team down, our CB is having a go from 35 yards?

I don't know how anyone can watch this, after a full pre season and 9 months of coaching and think Gerrard has got any ideas on how to get us playing football. It's woeful.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

I understand what you are saying and agree. Statistics are binary. I dislike xG but interestingly our xG was apparently [slightly] higher than Bournemouth's, probably owing to the higher number of shots rather than better goal chances.

Statistics aside, you only have to watch the game to understand we were generally poor, and certainly very poor vs expectation. Lots to do for all concerned, Gerrard already under pressure.

Looking at the table we lost to the team in 3rd place, perhaps we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves 😉.

image.png.ba7d81307a4d03bf2da15001fcc557f7.png

On 06/08/2022 at 17:01, Philosopher said:

Gerrard's big calls exploded in his face.

McGinn didn't provide the leadership we needed. We got destroyed on set pieces and crosses, when a real aerial presence would have certainly helped (Mings). 

Same problems of conceding early, and lacking the patience and speed of moving the ball to break defensive opposition down. S

till vulnerable on the counter.

We conceded the same sort of soft goal even when Mings was in defence, many times. It seems like it's something deep - rooted within the psyche of the whole squad. Maybe even the whole club. Unfathomable. 

Looking back at the goals and the inability of our centrebacks to defend a high ball into the box, I've closely examined the footage and can narrow it down to both Diego and Ezri missing the flight of the ball whilst looking Steven Gerrard in the eye -  a prerequisite for a centre half apparently.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â