Ratings & Reactions: Bournemouth v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/22 at 22:59

And lastly... this is the problem of playing against cupcake squads during the preseason. You really don't get a true sense of the a player or team against minnows you easily beat. I know it can't be easy but we do need to play better teams next summer to gauge the level our of players heading into a season. 

8 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Is it excepted that's it not the players but the tactics and manager? 

Has to be - not one of those Bournemouth players gets into our team, but they played us off the pitch

• Like 4

Yesterday I was thinking a lot about the 2008-2009 season and how much I miss that team. Not just the players but the way they played as a team. I just miss those feel good days where it felt like we were going somewhere. It’s just not acceptable that we spend all this money and keep going backwards. I wonder if all the newbies who got their season tickets this summer are regretting their decisions already 😂 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The aim is to help make us better. 

The reality is that trying to force a manager out after one game, is A. Not going to happen. B. Creates a massive advantage to the opposition. 

Today was very disappointing, both for the result and the manner of the result. However we have to hope that SG and therefore us, can turn this around. Because the club have made some big decisions and made big investments and those decisions, whether they’re right or wrong can’t be easily undone in the short term. So we have to do our best with what we have and hope that perhaps this is a one off, poor, first game result. I’m sure you don’t want us to lose so we can sack the manager

I’d imagine that Mr Purslow isn’t going to have a particularly good night’s sleep though. This sort of performance generally only have a short life span before changes of some sort become more inevitable than forced. 

You are quite right i don't want us to lose just to get rid of the manager, and I want every manager we have to be successful. I was even moderately hopeful when we signed Gerrard that he would be a step in the right direction. 

However to this point I have seen no evidence to suggest he is learning from his mistakes, his insistence on playing full backs as wingers and central midfielder as full back cover is baffling, especially now when he has the personnel to play different formations. 

I know he is unlikely to be sacked in the next month, but would really like the damage to be limited as much as possible

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Yesterday I was thinking a lot about the 2008-2009 season and how much I miss that team. Not just the players but the way they played as a team. I just miss those feel good days where it felt like we were going somewhere. It’s just not acceptable that we spend all this money and keep going backwards. I wonder if all the newbies who got their season tickets this summer are regretting their decisions already 😂 

Hope mine gets lost in the post before Everton next week 😆

• Haha 1

I thought I’d had a shocker booking foot-golf for my lad and his friends this afternoon. Feels less like a cockup now.

From the call-in on Talksport the consensus seems to be that Bournemouth didn’t need to be particularly good to beat us as we were so bad. 

That Villa lineup was excellent… on paper. How did we manage to get so little from such a strong line up?

I can't believe how dross we have been over the years with the money and strength behind us. I get the premierleague is ruthless but I am sick to death of how inconsistent we are. You look at the team we put out today before kick off and you'd have all the confidence in the world (that at the very least it could break down a newly promoted side). I have massive respect for Bournmouth, they kept us at bay. But we were awful.

Edited by MCU
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

It's not an issue exclusive to Gerrard but I'm beyond fed up of - outside of the odd exception - being envious of the opposition in most games that they have a clearer identity, structure, and ability to do the simple things well.

To my knowledge, Gerrard's idea of how he wants his teams is to look is aggressive and able to control a game, yet plays one of the most passive defenders imaginable in Konsa and two midfielders in McGinn and Ramsey who are among the worst going for the amount of passes they attempt and complete.

Added to that we seem to be extraordinarily reliant on crosses despite not having attacking players comfortable with this. I find it all quite confusing and despite willing to suspend my pessimism due to new signings and a fresh season etc don't really see it changing too dramatically either.

Cross after cross to nobody. For 96 minutes.

4 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I like and agree with parts of what he is saying. But I've seen him say the right things before and not change anything. 

Make no mistake about it, we were absolutely not in control of that game at all today. Bournemouth took an early lead and happily stuck numbers behind the ball while Villa attack in non-threatening areas. They looked the more likely to score regardless thereafter and proceeded to do so again by picking their moments well.

Having more possession of the ball shouldn't be mistaken for control  - that game for the most part went exactly how Bournemouth would have wanted it to.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The departure of Beale was the beginning of the end for gerrard - he was massive in any success gerrard had as a boss 

Scott Parker was also labelled as some sort of Steve Bruce type manager on here last few days😂

Didn't throw the players under the bus for once which tells me one thing.. Gerrard knows he's had a stinker this week. Maybe, just maybe, he might actually learn from this and do something about it. 

I won't hold my breath though

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

I'm not a big fan of the "effort and application" line.

The fact is the football was piss poor and we were beaten by a Championship team missing key players.

Crashed back down to earth after a really positive summer.

Quite clearly the application was well off the mark!

Â