Ratings & Reactions: FAC3: Man Utd v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/22 at 23:59

18 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

90 seconds wasted on Ings/Watkins only for them to find fault with JJ because Cavani ran into him. Corruption in real-time.

In the video you can see Cavani talking to Oliver ,who it should be said was close to the incident and saw nothing in it … the gesture from Oliver seems to suggest he thought Cavini had gone over the top of Ramsey ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pintpotvilla said:

I can't do links but Google Mike Halsey quotes in the Independent and you probably won't believe anothe football result!!

I’ll have a look. Jimmy google to the rescue.

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

I get you but we can’t expect to win at Old Trafford ever, and again we lost a game we were favourites to lose - our form is only as bad as Utds. However it is 4 wins and 5 defeats now, so yes, there is no gloss any more. 

Hard work, better performances and better players needed. Midfield was lacking for me today, as was effort in the last third for most of the game. With new additions I am confident we are much better next season but we need to improve and start some momentum. 

Targett, Mings, Luiz and our striking dilemma need sorting out. Cash wasn’t great either tonight.

I just don't get all the praise for us. Yes we had them on the backfoot for large periods and were largely the better team, but still barely troubled De Gea. And we lost of course. That's what matters and that's another cup run over before it's even started.

Everyone said United needed the result tonight, but we needed it too. Losses to Chelsea, Brentford and now Manure. Three losses in a row and we really have to make sure that's not four by losing to these bastards again on Saturday.

At least these games are showing that the likes of Targett and Luiz (as a CDM at least) aren't good enough. We really have to add more quality this month and hope that Coutinho can find his old magic. 

4 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Umm...

How can he run into the box when he is already standing in it?

How can he make a play for the ball when he is already deliberately standing in a false offside position?

There was a second false offside Villa player in that play. He wasn't looking at the ball either - because they cannot play the ball nor get involved.

Ramsay makes no attempt to move out of the way.....

... but he doesn't have to. He's holding his ground which, by rights, he is allowed to do.

Is that obstruction? Yes - yes it is. It's legal obstruction, otherwise he would not be allowed to stand in an offside position to start with. After all, that is the whole point of putting players there.

Cavani - who has already lost his man - makes the most of any contact like a good forward does. That's always going to be enough at ManUre.

Bruno could have had two yellows, Shaw could have had 3. JJ fouled Cavani 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

The "everything favours the big teams" and "corruption to keep the same teams at the top" is the exact same small time rubbish that we'd kill SHA fans for. Embarrassing.

I agree

We get inept refs and shit decisions vs the other teams too 

The "everything favours the big teams" and "corruption to keep the same teams at the top" is the exact same small time rubbish that we'd kill SHA fans for. Embarrassing.

I would actually in all other prior circumstances agree with you but this really was a **** joke today

• Like 2

Have you read the Hasey quotes? It's embarrassing for football noot clubs like ours

To be honest I didn't even celebrate that goal because as soon as I saw Cavani hit the deck I knew where it was going to end up. 

That incident aside, we well deserved to win the game, but when you create that many chances with £60m worth of strikers on the pitch and end up with nothing you need to have a good look in the mirror. 

Ings almost looks shocked when chances fall to him.

Edited by Ponky
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Umm...

How can he make a play for the ball when he is already deliberately standing in a false offside position?

There was a second false offside Villa player in that play. He wasn't looking at the ball either - because they cannot play the ball nor get involved.

... but he doesn't have to. He's holding his ground which, by rights, he is allowed to do.

Is that obstruction? Yes - yes it is. It's legal obstruction, otherwise he would not be allowed to stand in an offside position to start with. After all, that is the whole point of putting players there.

Cavani - who has already lost his man - makes the most of any contact like a good forward does. That's always going to be enough at ManUre.

This is completely right. At any attacking free kick, you'll always see players standing in offside positions for tactical reasons - i.e. so they can engage in the second phase of play when they're back onside unmarked. Obviously they aren't looking to engage in the first phase of play since that's not the gameplan nor do they need to under the rules.

This VAR ruling for Cavani should incentivise players on the defending team in those situations to just run into the offside attacking players since they'll then get a foul called in their favour

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I still disagree but you were consistent during the game as well. I respect your opinion. You are helping cool my anger, so cheers :)

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I just don't get all the praise for us. Yes we had them on the backfoot for large periods and were largely the better team, but still barely troubled De Gea. And we lost of course. That's what matters and that's another cup run over before it's even started.

Everyone said United needed the result tonight, but we needed it too. Losses to Chelsea, Brentford and now Manure. Three losses in a row and we really have to make sure that's not four by losing to these bastards again on Saturday.

At least these games are showing that the likes of Targett and Luiz (as a CDM at least) aren't good enough. We really have to add more quality this month and hope that Coutinho can find his old magic. 

I can only recall the utd keeper making one save in the 2nd half.

Our last 30 minutes were awful.

The AEG sub didn't help.

• Like 1

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

Bruno could have had two yellows, Shaw could have had 3. JJ fouled Cavani 

No argument about Bruno and Shaw.

But your response is simply "JJ fouled Cavani" - based on what? Holding his ground?

Lets make this perfectly clear: Ramsay is standing in front of Cavani on purpose. He wants to make sure Cavani needs to run around him should the ball come to the far post.

This is entirely legal.

• Like 3

I’m not even sure what Ramsey was doing when we set up for that set piece other than being positioned to block a runner.

He sets up miles off side and makes no attempt to get back on to be able to join the attack.

It seems like an attempt at a clever set piece tactic that backfired because you are not allowed to block a runner from an off side position. 

9 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Umm...

Thank you.

Â