Ratings & Reactions: FAC3: Man Utd v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/01/22 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Yes it was for obstruction by an off side player. The rules for obstruction are different for a player who is off side. 

So was it disallowed for obstruction or offside ? 

7 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

No argument about Bruno and Shaw.

But your response is simply "JJ fouled Cavani" - based on what? Holding his ground?

Lets make this perfectly clear: Ramsay is standing in front of Cavani on purpose. He wants to make sure Cavani needs to run around him should the ball come to the far post.

This is entirely legal.

Yep - I don't see many fouls given when a player shields the ball out for a gk .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

If the off side player is an obstacle to your run then it’s a foul on him. It’s the job of the attacker to stay onside. 

I meant to say offside position. Is one allowed to run through a player in an offside position?

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

No it’s not. You’re not allowed to do it if you are an off side player. The decision was correct. 

Yes it is. You are allowed to stand in any offside position that does not impede the play.

So if you were to stand in front of the keeper to block his vision - that impedes play and you are called offside.

Now if you are standing in front of a retreating player, there is enough room that that player can get around you (that is, you aren't grabbing his arms or pulling his shirt when the ball is played) then you are legally offside.

There is no rule that says you need to move - the only rule is that you cannot impede the initial play.

There is simply no guarantee that Cavani would get there (since Konsa was already away), nor is there enough reason to suggest that Cavani could not have avoided the contact with a stationary player whom he knew was standing in front of him.

• Thanks 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

If it was a genuine VAR decision, Cavani was very smart to make it. Run into a player who is offside off the ball, any possible goal will then be ruled out

That’s why he made the most of it than ran over to the ref to moan about it. 

AFAIC, they spent nearly 4 minutes looking for any excuse to disallow a legitimate goal for us. Can’t be surprised, it’s Man U, the most corrupt club there has ever been…

Just sickening, when will it end?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I won't call it corruption, but a couple of extremely shite decisions surely.

You are correct overall though, we continue to waste phases of dominance, get sucker punched and become impotent.

Oh definitely some shite decisions. Man U should’ve had at least one yellow by halftime, for example. 

Slightly lighter cross from Buendia across the front of goal, an inch lower for Watkins, Ings starting his run a second later. That 30 minute stretch in the second half where Man U had no answer for us. Plenty of things for them to look at in practice. I’m more frustrated by those things than some of Oliver’s decisions.

55 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Unimpressed by how we played when their morale was shot to bits, and they were there to be rolled over, but this was an absolute farce. Two teams not playing to remotely the same rules when you compare and contrast the penalty shouts. Once again, officials gift Man United the win against Villa.

I'm disappointed with the ingame management though, the subs were too little, far too late, needs to be much more proactive than that. We let our foot off the pedal from about 65 minutes, and the subs weren't great. Anwar for Buendia? about 4 minutes of normal time for Philogene-Bidace, what's he meant to do with that?  I wouldn't mind that being the last time we ever see El Ghazi.

I will be delighted on the day we sell El Ghazi & Trez. When we are rid of subpar players who hold us back…

Just now, ozvillafan said:

Yes it is. You are allowed to stand in any offside position that does not impede the play.

So if you were to stand in front of the keeper to block his vision - that impedes play and you are called offside.

Now if you are standing in front of a retreating player, there is enough room that that player can get around you (that is, you aren't grabbing his arms or pulling his shirt when the ball is played) then you are legally offside.

There is no rule that says you need to move - the only rule is that you cannot impede the initial play.

There is simply no guarantee that Cavani would get there (since Konsa was already away), nor is there enough reason to suggest that Cavani could not have avoided the contact with a stationary player whom he knew was standing in front of him.

The whole reason he was positioned there miles offside was to block the defenders run. It was a deliberate tactic we employed but it backfired. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If it was a genuine VAR decision, Cavani was very smart to make it. Run into a player who is offside off the ball, any possible goal will then be ruled out

New tactic every team should adopt!

• Like 1

At least Shearer called it out - that VAR is only at PL grounds and that Cavani wasn't going to be anywhere near the ball. Oliver clearly shakes his head at him in real-time. But he suddenly changes his mind because he's told to look at the monitor? By the letter of the law, he made the correct decision by not blowing for the obstructive foul.

• Like 1

Hatred of Manchester United may be one the most virtuous prejudices in history, they are the fanny-batter of English football. I hope we rip them to pieces in the league. C****

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Better team lost. We had to take one of those chances. Threw everything at it and gassed ourselves out at 70mins and didn’t threaten thereafter. 

Targett, Luiz, Cash we’re all very poor. Best game I’ve seen Watkins have this season for us. Agree with others that our subs were poor. El Ghazi offers nothing and JPB didn’t have enough time .

McGinn very quiet second half and Ramsay shines in some moments then out of the game in others. We miss that solid DCM role massively. Needs to be a priority. 

Detest United. 

56 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Better team lost

We don’t know how to score!

We were not allowed to score.

But the approach to the first half was very disappointing including the lack of clinical finishing and losing possession so cheaply. A real lack of aggression and intensity…

Second half, all over them for the majority.

But still, we were denied. The game was there for us to win.

Lets not be honest here. We should have battered them . They are appalling and not playing for one another.But we still lost.

Lots of positives from the game but that was the easiest midfield we have played against all season . We cut through them easily time and time again but when we needed composure or luck it disappeared.

Pissed off we lost but its done now and i hope we have the rub of the green on Saturday albeit without our best midfielder. 

On this evidence tonight we can smash them to bits 

• Like 1

Â